Winter Car Washing - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Winter Car Washing

Help
Anybody in the snow bound areas. How do you plan to keep your Sol clean if you take it out this winter. I know I won't be able to leave it in the garage all winter. I want to take it out already. I can't imagine taking it to one of those car wash places where they hook on to your car and drag you down the line. I don't have any place at home to hand wash in the cold. Should I find a place that can do a hand wash? Or would one of the Touchless work for now? Once spring comes by hand only, but for now. . .

DEEP vin 3961, 3800-Oct 26, Safely home 12/14/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Founding Member

Congrats on your car! I washed mine using the frozen hose method No soap, soft towel for drying. Essentially, just to remove road salt & spray. I'm not ready for the brushless carwash yet. You could look around town for a self-wash bay.

Amelia Clunkenquiet - She's cool and she made history.
My 2006 All American, Coast 2 Coast, Rt. 66 pics. 22 states, 9,000 miles in 4 weeks roadtrip.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ad-trip-20928/
Founder MASC/MASSC
Founder - KAPPAS for the Cause http://www.sollivision.com
Contact [email protected] for info on MASC/MASSC.

2014 NASSM in the POCONOS!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to rlw222
is your garage heated or can you place a heater in there? wash it using less water like a five gallon bucket and let it dry in heated garage.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
I don't have a heated garage, but what I've done is hook a hose to the stand tub faucet which is just inside from my garage, and turn on the hot water. Hose off all the salt and grime, then pull the car into the garage and towel dry. Drain the hose and hang it back up. Done!

1st 1K - #741
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:21 PM

but how do you get the dried on salt off the bottom of the car??????
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS300toSOLSTICE
but how do you get the dried on salt off the bottom of the car??????
find a "touchless" wash. They do a bottom up spray as you drive in. I've been to a couple. One runs as long as you block the eyes. The other has a 30 second time limit.

GXP DEEP,TAN top , MP3, XM, Power stuff, AC, FLOOR MATS!!!, grey interior ] GMPP upgrade, drivers seat heater, VIN 116646 :( bye #134
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 AM

Touchless is good, I've used one in my area a couple of times. Mostly I go to a Do-it-yourself wash so I can wash the car the way I want to. Not too much pressure around the window seals. So far the car has stayed fairly clean and there has been no damage to the paint.

AKA xmm
First 1000 Order VIN # 000218 - Time Stamp 2:35:20
DEEP with Steel/Sand leather,
142,600+ miles on the odo and still goin' strong - My wife named my car "Nittany" after Penn State, my Alma Mater
Reborn at the factory at 57,100 miles
New water pump and timing chain at 104,181 miles
Exhaust cam solenoid valve at 121,000 miles

WPASC ( Western PA Area Solstice Club )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding Member #41
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Resting up after the Pgh. Vintage Grand Prix !"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:34 AM

I did the buckets of warm water in the driveway last week - huge pain in the rear, but much less than the agony of looking at your Solstice covered in salt-spray.

Next time I'm going to try the quarter car wash (self-serve)

...sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware...
1971 Javelin SST
2006 Solstice
2014 Silverado
2016 Silverado
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:47 PM

Any INDY Solstice owners know of a good "touchless" wash they've USED and would RECOMMEND for their SOLSTICE?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Founding Member

Garage
Quote:
Any INDY Solstice owners know of a good "touchless" wash they've USED and would RECOMMEND for their SOLSTICE?
I don't know where in Indy you are, but on the west side, there is a touchless right off the interstate in Brownsburg that just got new equipment here in the last year, and it appears that it would be Solstice-friendly. No wheel tracks (just a yellow line), etc.

Of course I don't have my Solstice, so I couldn't give you first-hand experience.

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Founding Member

Self-service car wash once a week is about all I can do during the winter. The air temperature needs to be above freezing, though. Since the main objective is to get the salt and dirt off, I don't even dry it off till I get home. After the 15 minute drive, about the only thing to worry about is the glass.

JimmyO
2007 GXP
They call it the Bumble Bee
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortimir
I don't know where in Indy you are, but on the west side, there is a touchless right off the interstate in Brownsburg that just got new equipment here in the last year, and it appears that it would be Solstice-friendly. No wheel tracks (just a yellow line), etc.

Of course I don't have my Solstice, so I couldn't give you first-hand experience.
I'm in Fishers. I can always go to Mike's Express to use their self-service bays, but i'm not sure how I would get the salt/grime off the bottom of the car.

SOOOOO, she hasn't been out of the garage for 3 weeks. I'm dying to take her for a spin.

Fortimir - if you're interested in seeing one in person, PM me and maybe we could hook up on a decent day. I posted this once before but didn't hear from you...interested?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Founding Member

Garage
Quote:
Fortimir - if you're interested in seeing one in person, PM me and maybe we could hook up on a decent day. I posted this once before but didn't hear from you...interested?
Definitely. I don't live far.

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Laser/Touchless Wash and a few leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaroadster
Help
Anybody in the snow bound areas. How do you plan to keep your Sol clean if you take it out this winter. I know I won't be able to leave it in the garage all winter. I want to take it out already. I can't imagine taking it to one of those car wash places where they hook on to your car and drag you down the line. I don't have any place at home to hand wash in the cold. Should I find a place that can do a hand wash? Or would one of the Touchless work for now? Once spring comes by hand only, but for now. . .
I had to try the car wash today as I couldn't bear the thought of the salt under my car any more. So went to a touchless laser wash and there were a few leaks around the top of the windows where the seal fits together, and a small leak around both buttresses in the back. This also only happened during the rinse cycle when the water is spraying really hard from both the sides and the top. No water at all in the trunk.

Not sure if I should be experiencing these leaks or not, but wasn't as bad as I was anticipating and was worth the little bit of water to get the salt removed. I would say that it is probably not going to be a problem during a normal rain.

(By the way Rodeo if you see this, I finally got the new avatar. Couldn't bear the thought of leaving the old Firebird out of the pic. Also, I doubt you can find that custom contrasting background in your part of the country )

Mysterious | Steel/Sand | Polished Alum | + all other options but smoker package.
Stray Solstice found its new owner on 12/3
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Retired Free Range Sols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortimir

Thanks Fortimir! Was going to ask-and hadn't gotten around to it-will be checking it out while I'm in the area to clean him up, if I don't find a coin op on the westside!

06 NA...was 106k miles, do-over at 12k
06 NA...56k miles...Black today, black tomorrow?
01 Aztek GT...102k miles...Black and loaded. Best non-Solstice ever!

Team Solstice 2006 & 2006

Life is good with a pair of Sols in the garage.

Runs/Meets in '06:13 '07:13 '08:7 '09:9 '10:9 '11:6 '12:4 '13:3 '14:2 '15:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode