2007 NA Solstice - Part Out - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

2007 NA Solstice - Part Out

For a variety of reasons I have come to either trading my Solstice or (the option I am deeply contemplating) parting it out. Parting it out allows individuals to get specific parts they need and allows me to profit more as a whole: because of minor cosmetic damages/moderate dings (not affecting the internal/integrity of the parts). Mainly just car wash scratches (hardly visible) everything only seen from a close distance.

Okay anyways. Wanting to part out my 2007 black Solstice. Would like information on best method and giving first dibbs on the forum. Trying to find a reasonable starting amount before I part out so I know it's worth parting rather than trading. Would prefer pick-up but I can ship if buyer pays it.

What parts do you want/need? Want pictures of what part? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
What has brought you to this decision? You had considerable enthusiasm for the car earlier and it it is still in good running condition, why not just trade or sell it? Or better, keep it!

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Well I guess I just came to terms with life and being a college student and starting my life, I don't believe this is a great daily drive when I sometimes need a bigger space for trunk and comfort. I was thinking because of the cosmetic damage and the accidents that have happened it might not be worth to sell/trade. Got the car for about $14,000 when it had like 23,000 miles and now it has like 41,150 miles and read the Kelly blue book for great condition (which mine might be okay-good, got new AC compressor few months ago, new battery last month) was $9,000 so I doubt I'd be able to get anything more than $8,000 and I heard the hood is worth a lot, the convertible top is a lot, so is the engine, transmission, etc etc.might as well part it for +10,000? Pretty sure the parts are worth that value.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Not sure where in Texas you are but check out what they are going for... you should easily get $12K if all is in working condition and the top is nice.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Everything is good, just my passenger door got hit, has a few dings but nothing past the outer panel shell (no internal damage) and some fender wheel well damage. The parts are working and good shape. I was also thinking parting out would benefit more just more time consuming.

I live in Houston Tx, but am willing to travel around Texas to deliver or meet half way for parts. Really trying to get a total value more than a dealership's $4,000-$6,000 value.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM

If you're prepared to wait a year or more to part that out then you may get your hoped for close to $10K. Still, there are slightly banged up Sols out on AutoTrader that go for 5 to 6 grand. Guessing that you're probably better off selling it to someone willing to repaint it and keep it on the road intact.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKadet View Post
If you're prepared to wait a year or more to part that out then you may get your hoped for close to $10K. Still, there are slightly banged up Sols out on AutoTrader that go for 5 to 6 grand. Guessing that you're probably better off selling it to someone willing to repaint it and keep it on the road intact.
I agree

Plus parting it out and trying to get "market value" can take a long time. Then you have the issues of dealing with the buyers. Many buyers

Where is my part?
I dont want to pay that much for shipping!
The part you sold me broke I want my money back!
Im taking you to small claims court you crook!
You sold me the wrong part

and so on.

If you were my kid I would recommend either keep it and save your money - put on a hitch and add a hitch carrying platform or a DDM luggage rack.

Or sell it for the best price you can get and move on. Do not sign on for a whole lot of new problems.

Where are you going to store the car as it gets torn down?
How do you protect it?
Do you have the tools and knowledge and TIME to be pulling parts off the car?
What happens in a year when you have sold off $3000 in parts and have a non running junker and people stop buying parts from you?

You only turn a profit AFTER you sell parts worth the current value of the car.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 PM

Agree with everything Rob said if you look on Craigslist for example there are lots of parts cars that have been listed for quite some time .There are certain parts that I'm sure you won't have trouble getting rid of headlights ,body panels , rims,seats, radio if it's a monsoon system ,but after that the market starts to dry up and if you can't find a local buyer you have to factor in shipping .Another thing that you have to take into consideration is the mileage on the car, the higher the mileage the less demand you will have for the mechanical components and people will offer you next to nothing because of this .Bottom line is if this the way you are figuring to go I would do an inventory of saleable parts ,come up with a figure say 4 grand then offer the car up for $5500.00 at that price for a complete running car you should be able to get a lot of takers and not have to deal with all the issues that are sure to come up .
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:27 PM

I had a plan to part out my Grand Prix until it got to the point where I had nothing left to part out and then I was going to call a scrap yard to take away the hulk. The car was not running (needed an intercooler), had some minor body damage, and had been sitting for a few years. If I got $1,000 for it I'd be lucky to sell it whole I thought. Thankfully I had someone buy the whole car to get all the aftermarket parts I had on it off and got about $5K for it.

It was a headache dealing with guys that wanted to low ball you and do all the other things Rob brought up. Like KappaKadet mentioned, it's a long process to part out the car and you'll come to a point where you won't be able to part out much else. I'd say the big items that will go first will be engine, trans, differential. After that, any body panels you have that are undamaged like front fenders or bumper.

All that may get sold in a year. The engine will be under $2,000 and then you have to pay about $600 or more to ship it somewhere if you don't get a local buyer. The Transmission about the same. Both those have to be shipped by freight companies and I had prospective buyers looking at those parts who wanted me to eat the shipping too. The differential, maybe $500 plus shipping and for that they'll probably want shipping included so you'll get about $400 out of the sale of it.

So you're probably looking, at best, $4500 parting it out over the next year and then nickel and dime stuff after that. Plus the hassle of storing it, pulling the parts (you got a cherry picker to get the engine and trans out? All the tools you need to do that work?), and dealing with shipping. No, sounds to me like you're better off selling it.

07 Saturn Sky 2.4
Midnight Blue
MagnaFlow dual outlet exhaust
GMPP CAI

Info above for both my Skys. One owned from 06-07, one from 14 to present

Last edited by Robotech; 11-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Okay thank you everyone. Guess I will just look for a trade-in and keep my head forward. Thanks again!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Smart decision cause my first thought was gonna be, who the hell in there right mind is gonna buy used parts with 50k miles on it for an orphaned car when the parts new are still out there..

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties
Barack Obama
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Smart decision cause my first thought was gonna be, who the hell in there right mind is gonna buy used parts with 50k miles on it for an orphaned car when the parts new are still out there..
Good point

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 04:27 PM

I have to wonder if from what I have read your issues seem minor why not invest a few bucks to get the car detailed and find one of those paintless dent guys to address your dent problems . If your fender liner is cracked PM me and I will turn you on to a place that sells genuine GM stuff very reasonable .Your car has decent mileage and a clean car depending on the model and options is definitely worth way more then parting it out or trading it in with the problems you have expressed because a dealer will use those to his advantage and low ball you especially on a trade in .
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:45 PM

Mehran if you do move on please let us know. I have enjoyed your enthusiasm (as Rob put it very well) and we wish you all the best but hope you rekindle your love for the car.

SoloDio
2008 Brazen Orange GXP
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:46 AM

Most banks I have dealt with use NADA value instead of KBB. Check out the value on New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides

Many people I have talked to that used to own a Solstice as their only vehicle mentioned many of the same things you did as to why they parted with them.

I only like to drive mine when I know there is a good chance I can put the top down. The fact that it takes quite an effort to put the top up and down compared to other cars means I don't put it down on iffy days where I might have to pull over quick and put it up.

If I wanted to drop big money on a roadster I would buy a Z4 hardtop convertible. More than likely I will end up with a hardtop convertible Miata even though the looks of Solstice and Z4 blow the Miata away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode