Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Not really, I can go for the Z4 part, but ah, you wouldn't catch me in a Miata...alive anyways..

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties
Barack Obama
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhhhh!!! I was trying so hard to get rid of it and move on but my wife told me how it's our first car, the memories, and how we are NOT getting rid of it until we need money. After the 10 seconds of crying I got in my Solstice and went to get food. Im too young and silly, this car is awesome!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:11 PM

Bravo on a choice you won't forget !
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...I only like to drive mine when I know there is a good chance I can put the top down. The fact that it takes quite an effort to put the top up and down compared to other cars means I don't put it down on iffy days where I might have to pull over quick and put it up...
Wow, it seems to me that putting the top up and down is one of the EASIEST things you can do on a Solstice!

A LOT easier than changing a battery or water pump (or, in my case, getting in and out of the car!).

I'm 64, fat and badly out of shape -- and I'll admit that it remains my goal to NEVER have to drive with the top up. But I also put it up and down every few weeks -- most of the time just to "exercise" its' moving parts, and occasionally to gain access to the HUGE storage area at the back of the trunk -- and I don't find it the least bit difficult, nor time consuming, to do.

Alone.

From one side of the car.

Sure, it's not an automated top and you can't put it up or down while driving. But I'm always surprised when someone says they think it takes a lot of effort.

Absolutely NO offense intended.

And I understand that where you live and how often you drive the car has a direct effect on how often you might have to put the top up -- or be able to put it down.

Last edited by Carey; 11-21-2014 at 07:08 PM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM

Hey I'm 64 and people say I'm skinny and getting in and out at times is a chore try getting in and out of a C4 Vette sometime and as for the top I'm with you I've had a few manual top convertibles and have never had any issue as far as the top goes power tops are for Caddys and Beemers !
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
...as far as the top goes power tops are for Caddys and Beemers !
Well, if not for the higher cost and greater potential for expensive repairs on a power top, I'm sure I wouldn't turn one down. :-)

But on the topic of them being for "Caddys and Beemers": A year or two ago, I pulled into a parking space just as the driver of the car I parked next to was returning to their car.

Using her remote, she activated the power top -- and I sat there amazed at the Transformers-like operation! I swear there were 3 or 4 different covers that opened and moved and looked like something off of the Space Station.

I forget. It may have been a Lexus, but whatever it was, it was a car I'm sure cost more than 3-4 -- maybe 5 or 6 -- brand new Solstices.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Wow, it seems to me that putting the top up and down is one of the EASIEST things you can do on a Solstice!

A LOT easier than changing a battery or water pump (or, in my case, getting in and out of the car!).

I'm 64, fat and badly out of shape -- and I'll admit that it remains my goal to NEVER have to drive with the top up. But I also put it up and down every few weeks -- most of the time just to "exercise" its' moving parts, and occasionally to gain access to the HUGE storage area at the back of the trunk -- and I don't find it the least bit difficult, nor time consuming, to do.

Alone.

From one side of the car.

Sure, it's not an automated top and you can't put it up or down while driving. But I'm always surprised when someone says they think it takes a lot of effort.

Absolutely NO offense intended.

And I understand that where you live and how often you drive the car has a direct effect on how often you might have to put the top up -- or be able to put it down.
I have no issues putting the top up and down in a parking lot or the garage. I am in shape, athletic, and a young 50.

It is when you are enjoying a back road drive and you come around a corner to some rain. Pulling over, getting out, doing the dance around the car while trying not to get hit by other cars is not fun. And, if the wind has picked up, you have to worry about it whipping the truck lid back or whipping it closed while you are trying to grab the top.

In the southeast you may have to put the top up and down several times in one day, and we can have 40 degree temperature changes.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 11-22-2014 at 04:30 PM.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Menran333's wife for the win! Glad you are keeping her.

SoloDio
2008 Brazen Orange GXP
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Well, if not for the higher cost and greater potential for expensive repairs on a power top, I'm sure I wouldn't turn one down. :-)

But on the topic of them being for "Caddys and Beemers": A year or two ago, I pulled into a parking space just as the driver of the car I parked next to was returning to their car.

Using her remote, she activated the power top -- and I sat there amazed at the Transformers-like operation! I swear there were 3 or 4 different covers that opened and moved and looked like something off of the Space Station.

I forget. It may have been a Lexus, but whatever it was, it was a car I'm sure cost more than 3-4 -- maybe 5 or 6 -- brand new Solstices.
yeah,and wait till one of myriad electronic parts required malfunctions.im good with the manual top.have had my car one year today,and its been a good year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode