DDM ProBeam installed - impressions. - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

DDM ProBeam installed - impressions.

1. DDM is a FIRST CLASS company. My backbone was shipped promptly and I was impressed. The ProBeam arrived here in Central PA today eventhough I only ordered it Sunday night! GREAT service.

2. Packing and parts were perfect.

3. I used my Rhino ramps and front wheel blocks for the install of the probeam and all went well ( I used the same combo previously for the backbone install). It helps to read-reread and re-re-read the instructions first. Buy a good 11/32 drill bit - I bought a titanium tipped one, worth the $$.

4. After drilling the centerbeam and holding the probeam up to it I had a problem getting my one hand on top of the center beam to install the nut on the first bolt holding the probeam to the crossmember - my hand was slightly too large to fit up there. My son-in-law had a slightly smaller hand and got the nut installed. BTW, all of the previous poster are correct about wearing safety googles and a hat when drilling and installing the bolts. If you don't you'll be sorry. The right and left holes drilled through the center beam were accomplished with the probeam in place instead of removing it. I followed the directions to score or mark the drill holes, then took the attachment brackets off the wheels before drilling the holes to assure a vertical hole being drilled --- this was much easier. Once the 2 remaining holes (left and right through probeam and cross member) were drilled, I installed both right and left long bolts with the flat washers and snuggly attached the probeam to the crossmember. Then I re-attached the wheel brackes and tightened them to the wheels first before tightening to the pro beam. The secret is to not tighten the bracket to the wheels until the bolts/washers/ nuts are loosely attached to the brackets that run from the wheels to the probeam. Then it is a slow but steady process of tightening all of the the bolts. Probeam first, brackets to wheels secon and brackets to probeam last.

5. After I double checked to make sure all bolts were properly tightened, I took it for a spin. The rear end "feels" tighter and much more solid. After the car was properly warmed up, I punched it in 2nd and 3rd gear and you could feel the rear end was much more true than before.

6. The machining of the probeam, the brackets, bolts, washers and nuts is top notch. Directions are easy to understand.

Well done DDM! Money well spent.

07 GXP 5mt DDM Backbone DDM ProBeam Trifecta Tune

Last edited by skline00; 05-12-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Garage
Put mine in a few weeks back. Much nicer through the corners now. The stock N/A seemed to load up, get loose and load up again in the corners. That sensation is gone with the pro-beam addition.

Check out Western Canada Kappa Club on Facebook !

My Garage https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/g...ehicle_id=1132
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 AM

Yes,

I got the Backbone and Probeam installed together when i was at DDM.

The thing drives like its on rails! Very predictable in the corners, even with the extra ponies. All in all, awesome upgrades.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 AM

Thanks for posting this. What level of backbone did you get?

2008 Infiniti G37S Coupe - 37k - Manual, big brakes, limited slip, etc.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 70k - Paid for, Trifecta tune, DDM Extreme BB/Clamps, Dejon Intake

1998 Civic EX - 5-Speed - 213k - Hey, it is cheap.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Got the street backbone. Plenty for me. The hardest part of that install was lowering the exhaust from the rubber hanger. I took off one side of each rubber hanger and it gave me enough flex to pull the old pan out. It was easier installing the DDM backbone because it is solid. Incredibly well machined. Even with the street version the car "felt" much more solid. Now with the DDM ProBeam it has really tightened up.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
Yes,

I got the Backbone and Probeam installed together when i was at DDM.

The thing drives like its on rails! Very predictable in the corners, even with the extra ponies. All in all, awesome upgrades.
miller11386: With that DDM 2871 turbo upgrade, how many ponies is that bad boy( or girl - sorry ladies) putting to the wheels?

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skline00 View Post
Got the street backbone. Plenty for me. The hardest part of that install was lowering the exhaust from the rubber hanger. I took off one side of each rubber hanger and it gave me enough flex to pull the old pan out. It was easier installing the DDM backbone because it is solid. Incredibly well machined. Even with the street version the car "felt" much more solid. Now with the DDM ProBeam it has really tightened up.
Ugh, I remember those rubber hangers... Such a PITA to dislodge.

So you have to lower the rear of the exhaust? I would think as flim / flimsy as the stock piece is it should be able to come straight out without dropping part of the exhaust.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 70k - Paid for, Trifecta tune, DDM Extreme BB/Clamps, Dejon Intake

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I dropped the exhaust because it gives easier access putting in the DDM part which is NOT flexible.

I use two long phillips head screwdrivers to remove the rubber hangers. It works very well.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Skyline00, I installed mine in the exact same manner as you and I think it is the easiest way. My 2006 is like it's on rails now in turns and I think the limited slip diff is now working as it should. Did the backbone at the same time and love the handling improvements.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 AM

yep - rubber hangers were the hardest part. That, and combing small pieces of metal out of my hair (I did not wear a hat).

'08 "Cool" Silver Solstice GXP
Debadged (Pontiac arrows on sides & front remain)
Trifecta 'Budget' Tune, DDM Backbone (Race), DDM Probeam. Short Antenna, Front Mud Flaps, Black Kappa Rack
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybrew View Post
yep - rubber hangers were the hardest part. That, and combing small pieces of metal out of my hair (I did not wear a hat).
Ybrew: I listened to your advice, wore a hat and goggles and still got some stuff in my hair from lying on the garage floor under the car up on the ramps. It was a LONG shower with washing my hair ( what's left!) a number of times

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybrew View Post
A shot of windex on those rubber hangers makes a world of difference getting them off... it might help on your comb too

If you have room you can push a prybar through the center of the rubber hanger and use the hanger mount for leverage to pull them off too.

07 GXP - Trifectatated Hahn S20G - carpe diem incoronatus
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Hmm good ideas here... I'll be sure to try them.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgronk View Post
A shot of windex on those rubber hangers makes a world of difference getting them off... it might help on your comb too

If you have room you can push a prybar through the center of the rubber hanger and use the hanger mount for leverage to pull them off too.

Makes a big difference!

Oh, and you might get the old one out, but the new one will be a fight without dropping the exhaust! I only dropped the left side though.

Jim

2008 Sky Redline
If your goal in life is to stir the pot, be careful, you may find the pot stirring you!
Tiny Mods:
Trifecta Tune, KappaSphere Billet Grill, KappaRack, Painted Calipers, Engine Cover, DDM Backbone, Vert Top Cover, FlySwatter, Short Antenna, Painted Visors
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgronk View Post

Actually, I'd say forgo the windex (because it contains ammonia), and use a mild soap/water solution, or even better yet, silicon, to care for the rubber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode