Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Results are in, 2/22/2019...GMPP Brake Reservoir is available

15K views 79 replies 25 participants last post by  ennonne 
#1 ·
Since few will dig into a thread that's been around a while, I am starting a new one. Original thread is: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/gmpp-brake-reservoir-photos-needed-10-29-2018-a-156753/

The GMPP high capacity brake fluid reservoir is alive and well in the GM Europe parts system it seems. You just have to locate someone who will follow through with interest in helping obtain one. It's Alive! And it is real. Just got confirmation the 93172093 brake reservoir, (GMPP piece) is available and I have one on the way to me as I type this. Notice the attached photos. I posted in my original thread that it appeared the grommets, cap, low level electrical connection arm and securing screw would have to be obtained separately. Happily, it comes complete with the reservoir, new heavy cap, fluid level installed and two new grommets. If you do not reuse your original torx securing screw, you can get one at the source listed below. The SAAB part number is 93170487 and Matt can get that also.

There is also a billet aluminum cap available to complete the "look". https://www.esaabparts.com/search.ph...rake+Fluid+Cap

What do you think, have it engraved with the GXP logo (Red or Black Flag, Black GXP), Pontiac Arrowhead (Red) or Solstice outline (In your car's color of course) for the complete AR under hood detail few will have. You know you want to do this. :wink:

I'm going to state the contact information, as we often say something is available at...(like Crate Engine Depot, Amazon, etc.) and it may not be a forum sponsor. If this is wrong, just let me know, and why, please. I've been working on this for a long time and it is good to get an affirmative source.
Contact Matt at customerservice@esaabparts.com, phone 855-939-7222. Let him know you found the info on the Solstice Forum. You can mention my name if you wish. He has been very good to work with me on this quest. esaabparts.com is part of the Saab museum in Sturgis, SD so a purchase helps the museum as well.

Notice in the photos this is a genuine GM Europe part. This is as good as it gets. Love that Delorean time travel back to 2005 and the parts bin!

Richard Snipes

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I entered 93172093 into their search bar, and got $57.50 plus unknown shipping from Sweden...

The things we have to go through to find parts... Very interesting story...

#3 ·
is there an understanding as to why the part number changed ?

#5 ·
I ordered it from Matt on the 23rd, $64 & change including shipping

Bill

Hi Bill Fleckenstein,
Thank you for shopping with eSaabParts.com!

Order details
Order: esp18292 Placed on 02/23/2019 03:12:42

Reference
Product
Unit price
Quantity
Total price

[93172093] Brake Fluid Reservoir (RHD)

$57.50

Shipping

$6.99

Total paid

$64.49

Shipping
Carrier: Economy

#7 ·
Putting the lid on...

As much work as this has entailed and all the dead ends and misunderstood information we received...like this is for the RHD cars, NOT the LHD cars and is exactly the correct part...how much is something worth that we've been told is unavailable for years. No one went to the trouble and eSaabParts.com did.

There are a lot of things we really do not need but we want, for whatever reason. I felt their price was extremely fair and each person who wants one should contact them for that information. My goal was to find something I knew had to still be out there. Took some time and met some good folks along the way. Worth it to me.

Enjoy...Richard

#13 ·
Manual or Automatic transmission & reservoir, +

If you are going to open the brake system, which you have to do to change the reservoir, I would suggest you do a full brake fluid change as well. No sense cheapening out at this point. Take the time to do it right and do it once.

The reservoir comes with the clutch master cylinder line nipple sealed. If you have an automatic transmission this is not touched. If you have a manual transmission the nipple end is removed (cut off carefully).

When removing the original reservoir you must detach the clutch master cylinder line. Release the clamp and attempt to coax this rubber hose that has spent the last 10+ years becoming intimate with the master cylinder nipple. I may have to end up cutting it off and replacing the line on my car. It's a rubber hydraulic hose and very stiff. Also depends upon how much room there is to get to the clutch master cylinder end.

Of course this is as good a time as any to properly and relatively easily change the fluid in the clutch. It's the same brake fluid and you see they are interconnected. Check the FSM, beginning on page 17-428, if you have one available. Read the instructions 6 or 7 times and the numbered parts will finally be named. Why not name numbered parts IN the illustration, but I digress...

This is even a good time to change the brake caliper hoses, if you ever wanted to do so.

The fun keeps going but the car will stop after doing all this (we hope).

Richard Snipes

#15 ·
........... Why not name numbered parts IN the illustration, but I digress...
Rhetorical question? Maybe, but I will answer it anyway.

There are actually several reasons:
1) If you are going to make multi-lingual documentation you only need one drawing.
2) It is more efficient to put (1) in the text box than it is to put (Master Cylinder) there.
3) It takes less space in the drawing, and is more consistent, to put numbers in the balloons.

#16 ·
GMPP Brake Reservoir reminder

I am bringing this back up for the weekend in case anyone who's interested might have missed it. I did post on the Sky forum and attempted to on the kappaperformance forum as well. Please share with anyone you may think would be interested. It's a great addition if you are doing a brake upgrade overall or plan to go the full route of changing the clutch fluid with the brake fluid since the clutch fluid line is opened during the changeover. That is my thought anyway. Good luck with the mod.

Richard Snipes

#18 ·
safari, have you recieved the unit yet and if so, have you installed it. I am very interested in it as i just bought a Willwood brake set up and was planning on the fluid change at the same time. Actually discussed it with Curtis this evening. For all the work you have done on this, I will find those parts you are looking for. PM me a list again. I am almost certain I have the foam piece and carboard piece you were talking about way back when. I have tons of parts, but shipping them is nothing short of a nightmare. But I will make this happen if you still need them. No charge.

#20 ·
Catch up...

Bill,

I've not received my back up one either, but it's coming direct from Sweden so I'm not worried. It was about 3 weeks on the initial order.

Bob,

I'll look that list back up and get a note to you this weekend. I won't be installing the new reservoir until I get the rest of the brake pieces in hand. Debating replacing the calipers since rotors, lines, pads and the brake reservoir will be all new. The "93" reservoir comes with new grommets and a cap. The cap is much stouter according to Matt. The thread seems to be different from the stock reservoir. I don't think you will be disappointed. I'm thinking of ordering a stock reservoir just to double check everything.

Thank you,
Richard

#21 ·
Bill,

I've not received my back up one either, but it's coming direct from Sweden so I'm not worried. It was about 3 weeks on the initial order.

Bob,

I'll look that list back up and get a note to you this weekend. I won't be installing the new reservoir until I get the rest of the brake pieces in hand. Debating replacing the calipers since rotors, lines, pads and the brake reservoir will be all new. The "93" reservoir comes with new grommets and a cap. The cap is much stouter according to Matt. The thread seems to be different from the stock reservoir. I don't think you will be disappointed. I'm thinking of ordering a stock reservoir just to double check everything.

Thank you,
Richard
UPDATE: emailed Matt and he said that mine was included in the order coming in from Sweden and would be probably about 2 weeks +
Bill

#23 ·
Received! I'm excited to get this installed, although last weekend I was at VIR and didn't have any fluid leaking out, probably because the track is not very brake intensive.

Does anyone have the instructions for how to bleed the clutch cylinder once you have the old reservoir off? I don't have the FSM.

Also, can we reuse the pins holding the reservoir on or do we need to find new pins?

Thanks!

Dave

#24 ·
Bleeding the clutch consists of pumping the pedal a zillion times. (That is the actual procedure from the FSM, aside from the use of the word "zillion.")

If you're only replacing the reservoir, and are on level ground and very careful, you might be able to swap the new one in, fill it with fluid, and bleed the brakes as normal.

MAYBE.

Most likely, you'll need to bench-bleed the master.

(Meh. I'm just guessing here.)

#25 ·
You shouldn't have to bleed anything if all you are doing is changing the reservoir. The clutch master cylinder sits below the reservoir, so it won't drain unless you drain it for some reason. Even then, the slave and its hose will still be full of fluid.

If for some reason you do have an empty master cylinder, leave the slave cylinder line off and put a small cup under the port. When you fill the reservoir let the fluid start to drip out of the port, then plug in the hose. You can then bleed the small amount of air in just a few pedal strokes.

#28 ·
I just received my new reservoir and have only opened the box and looked at it; haven't compared it with the stock.

a couple of thoughts tho… this reservoir will not solve any heat expansion of the fluid if it is filled to the max line as the max line is very high on the side and will not take much to overflow it; would have to fill somewhere between the min/max to provide room for expansion OR get the filler neck extension to provide more room. hopefully the extra capacity would make it possible to fill to a lower level.....

on the plus side, just looking in from the top, it is highly baffled and should mitigate sloshing problems.

Bill

#29 ·
Good to hear they are being delivered

The one I got and posted a photo of is the exact GMPP reservoir. Right now my brake change over is looking like a summer project so anyone who goes ahead with installation, please post photos. The 93170487 Torx securing screw is not included. You should be able to use the one you remove or order a new one from Matt. I just checked and they are a whopping $.93 with 17 in stock. NOTHING for this car is under a dollar, even the air in the tires!

Richard Snipes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.