Tire rubbing on wheel well. - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TomatoSoup
  • 1 Post By MomsSol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Tire rubbing on wheel well.

While changing my springs the other night...I took off my rear passenger side wheel and found this...

The other side is fine as well as the fronts. Would anyone know why this is happening? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 PM

Ever had the liner out for other mods? There isn't much to adjust in the rear well-liners, but it's possible something may be slightly out of alignment after a reinstall if you ever had it out. It certainly looks to be more than just one bad bump on the right rear. My guess would be the suspension travel is outside it's parameters rather than the wheel well sitting too low.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your insight. I do road race my sol. It must have happened during an event. Because if I look at my rear wheels on the car, both sidea look to be the same distance from the wheel well.

Is it possible that my car is not square? How do I find that out? Thanks!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Imaj I had the same thing (same wheel) happen on my coupe. I took it back to the dealer and they installed a new liner. It appears to have been a poorly installed wheel liner according to the dealer. The new one looks great with much better clearance.

08 GXP Auto (sold Aug 2009)
09 GXP Coupe Auto w/all of the goodies... #447

GMPP Turbo Tune
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 PM
HUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaj View Post
Thank you for your insight. I do road race my sol. It must have happened during an event. Because if I look at my rear wheels on the car, both sidea look to be the same distance from the wheel well.

Is it possible that my car is not square? How do I find that out? Thanks!
Two weeks ago I had my car at the dealer and had them check the same thing (I could hear a rubbing sound at times), they said it was rubbing and did a realign on the right rear tire. It was covered under warranty.

To me that whole inner fender liner looked different, like it was shaped different for something in that area.

Jim
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
To me that whole inner fender liner looked different, like it was shaped different for something in that area.

Jim
Yes. The finder liner was shaped for what looked like something square was to be behind it.

GMPP Turbo Tune
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 AM
HUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpc2008 View Post
Yes. The finder liner was shaped for what looked like something square was to be behind it.
D'oh - you mean square like the Monsoon speaker behind the passenger; thats got to be what it is.

Until you posted I had never even thought about that being what it could be.

Jim
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback. gpc2008, can you share the name of the dealership that did the changeout of your wheel well? The dealership that has my car, is saying they do not know of a newer wheel well. Thank you sir!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaj View Post
Thanks for your feedback. gpc2008, can you share the name of the dealership that did the changeout of your wheel well? The dealership that has my car, is saying they do not know of a newer wheel well. Thank you sir!
When he said "New" I think he just meant a new liner, not a newer designed liner.

Red Devil 07' Solstice - Sport Package ( traded in 2012' )
Black Widow 08' Solstice - GXP
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Car_Colage.jpg
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Ghost View Post
When he said "New" I think he just meant a new liner, not a newer designed liner.
Imaj, Silver Ghost got it right. What they indicated to me is the original wheel well liner was incorrectly installed. Personally the original looked more like it was overheated or had been miss shaped during the forming process. The first time I noticed the rubbing sound was after a long (very) high speed run. Still being under warranty they replaced it with no cost. The dealership which I bought the car from and does all the maintenance is FREEMAN BUICK GMC in Grapevine, TX. I might add that this dealership is top notch. But, then again I've bought five vehicles from them and I think that might count somehow.

GMPP Turbo Tune
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 AM

Garage
Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
D'oh - you mean square like the Monsoon speaker behind the passenger; thats got to be what it is.

Until you posted I had never even thought about that being what it could be.

Jim
Exactly! I apparently have this exact "issue" with my new member of the family - 07 GXP with a Monsoon sound system. I too have the passenger-side wheel well liner definitely a different shape with a factory-looking notch that makes clearance on the wheel very narrow in that spot.
Can anyone confirm that the Monsoon sub-woofer necessitates this different whee well liner?

- "Bing" Roediger
Husband, Father, Geek

Current: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Former: 1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula
Dream: 1992 Dodge Viper RT/10
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingmobo View Post
Can anyone confirm that the Monsoon sub-woofer necessitates this different whee well liner?
I can confirm that it's nothing to do with Monsoon per se, since ALL cars - Monsoon or not - have the same 'knock out' in the back wall. So I would assume that all cars have the same right rear fender shape.
bingmobo likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Roger that. Very strange that we don't hear more about it since it IS awfully clos already, anyone getting a bigger wheel/tire/lowering setup would definitely run into this issue.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

- "Bing" Roediger
Husband, Father, Geek

Current: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Former: 1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula
Dream: 1992 Dodge Viper RT/10
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Rear wheel well liners have a triangular piece at the rear that can rub on the tire. An easy fix is to draw this piece tighter by drilling a small hole in the narrow portion of the triangle piece then insert a Christmas tree pin.

I had to do this on my 06.
bingmobo likes this.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode