07 Solstice GPX - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

07 Solstice GPX

Hello All,

I just want to sing the praises of this great car.

I've had sports cars all of my life starting with a 1970 series II Jaguar E-Type Roadster.

I've also had a 1984 Pininfarina (Fiat Spider)

A 1994 Jaguar XJS (maybe not quite a sports car, but sporty)

A couple of sports sedans including a Jaguar XJ6 and S-Type

I have to say that the Solstice is the best looking of the bunch and it's hard to beat and E-Type for visual appeal.

Something an E-Type never had was a 5-speed and a turbo charger which makes the Solstice the quicker of the two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Garage
Yes, we've come a long way. Although the Solstice weighs several hundred pounds more than an XKE (hard to believe considering the size of the two cars) it also has more power (260 net vs around 200 net) and is considerably faster.

The XKE still stands as a styling icon for me, though - although compared to today's cars it looks somewhat dated with narrow inset tires.

I never owned an E type, but have had M2, XK 150 and Mk 9 Jags.

Welcome to Solstice ownership!

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Garage
As a former Jag owner... all I can say is that I miss hanging out with my Jaguar mechanic!

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgab View Post
As a former Jag owner... all I can say is that I miss hanging out with my Jaguar mechanic!
I am my own mechanic.

Worst Jag mechanical experience - after removing the head for a valve grind (heaviest damn head except for the cast iron straight 6 head on my Wolseley 6/99), especially when you are lifting almost at arm's length out of the engine bay) I was reattaching the timing gears to the front of the camshafts and dropped a bolt into the crankcase. Fortunately went all the way down to the sump so didn't have to search for it in the front timing case, just had to remove the sump.

Have to say that the Jag straight 6 is one of the nicer sounding engines with a low restriction exhaust, though.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I am my own mechanic.
I had a Jaguar mechanic in LA who would take a large screwdriver, put it to his ear and touch it to different parts of the motor... I couldn't understand half of what he said with that heavy cockney accent, but he was a magician with those cars!

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode