'08 Brakes - Non Recall Notice - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by msinawsk
is there any way to find out if my solstice has already had this done or not. i talked to my srv manager yesterday and he said it doesnt need it. I bought the car new, but it sat on the lot for 10 months, and am wondering if it was already taken care of while it sat there.

At the time that the service bulletin above came out, GM/Pontiac started a Service Update Program for specific vehicles in dealership inventory. These cars were to receive the same reprograming.

In theory your car should have been on lot during the time this program was in place, April 30, 2008 to October 31, 2008. It could have been done.

Any dealership can take your VIN and using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GM VIS) to see if any warranty claim was submitted for reprograming.

Or if you would like, post it here, or PM me with it and I will check.

If the reprograming has not been done, and you are seeing the symptoms as described in the TSB, you can have your dealership perfrom the repairs under it's guidelines.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, it’s attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by beecee
Real easy, when your car is cold, and I mean cold sitting all night cold, start pumping the brakes once you start it.

You will feel the "pedal" grinding and so on, you cannot miss it. If you don't feel it you're OK.

Oh and you will not be able to stop your car if you start driving right away on a cold start.
Not all owners observed the symptoms.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, it’s attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
Not all owners observed the symptoms.
They say if you don't feel it you don't need it. At least that's what I was told.

Why would you need to fix something that isn't a problem?

2008 Mysterious GXP (MoMo)
My cardomain page
VIN 100541 - Drove it home 7/13/07. As of today; 3/8/13, 76,000 Miles
Daily driver.
I'm at WalMart riding the ponies, bring quarters!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM

well, to me it does not feel like solid breaking. the brakes on my t/a grab now... granted two different cars, perhaps i am asking too much... i pm my vin to small dealer...guess i will find out
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Mac

I have a Very steep drive as well, if on a cold start you pull out forward or reverse, you have brakes but there is not enough vacum. GM adds a bit of cold idle rpm, but if you jump in the car start it and just drop it into a gear and go then need brakes it still is not FULL of vacum.

Mine after the update only

idles faster at start, if you put it in gear before idle down it drops idle when you shift this might be to save the drive train, you would get a clunk.

I let it idle a bit maybe 10+ sec.(let the oil get around) Rever up to 2k this grabs air intake and letting off the gas makes the needed vacum. This also kicks off the high rich starting setting they seem to use. Almost feels old school, you know the days when warming up a car was minutes, No vacum system in a HPcamed cars, manual brakes, or Soggy power brakes at best even if it ran for a week

my 2cents and the only real way to do this right is a vacum pump and tank that turns on at start or even a bit before if the pump takes longer than a few seconds as some in a HURRY
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 PM

the fix for your brakes from a tech who wns/fixed 1!

ok guys just got on the forum and cannot believe there are still people with this problem. quick background i am a certified gm technician who also is engaged to the owner of a solstice gxp. first time i felt the brakes on a cold start i damn near drowned in disbelief after some well placed calls and a few days i had what gm is calling the brake retrofit package. it seems that the early 08 models would run out of vacuum for the brakes on cold start due to cam timing. the later 08 models have a vacuum pump to assist brakes when vacuum is low but the early ones did not the reprogram just adjusts the valve timing at cold start in a marginal attempt to make this preoblem better. for those who want it fixed the awnser is to call the gm hotline explain that it has been in several times for the concern and that you are unsatisfied with the safety of the brakes and that you are aware of a brake retrofit to correct this concern and would like it done to your car. youllbe glad you did. it does work. sorry if this info is elsewhere on the site.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Braking Problem

I have the same Brake problem on my 2008 GXP. when I firwst start it up and back up out of my garage the brakes feel like there not working properly. Then after I start to go forward it seems to work ok. I am going to take it back and hopefully they will fix this problem... Thanks for the tip
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mayhem
I have no problems with my 08. <knocks on wood>

2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Bone stock...
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 AM

oil change

Hello Solstice owner. I wanted to know when I should have my oil changed.
I bought my 2008 GXP from a dealer back in July and now have 17,200 miles. I have about 70% oil life to date as what the computer is indicating. I know there is synthetic oil used. I also know it’s six months or six thousand miles with synthetic blend like Mobil 1. Should I wait to reach a certain mileage, months or when the life percentage reaches a certain percentage? I am also concerned with the colder months arriving.

Thanks for your input. Happy Holidays.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 AM

My GXP has had the update and it still has the problem. When starting up in the morning I can tell if there will be brakes or not just by listening to the tone of the exhaust. When there is low vacuum / no brakes the exhaust has a very low tone. When there is sufficient vacuum the tone goes up and it idles smoother too. I have had other cars with a turbo and they did not have this problem.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 AM

The small trim door on the right side is misaligned on the 95% cherry 08. I don't see an adjustment area. Any solutions? The drivers side door is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1472665558417.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	62529  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGXP View Post
The small trim door on the right side is misaligned on the 95% cherry 08. I don't see an adjustment area. Any solutions? The drivers side door is perfect.
Now that you have posted in a good spot, we can ignore this one.

1st 1K - #741

Last edited by DaveOC; 08-31-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode