Automatic Transmission “4 I L” - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Automatic Transmission “4 I L”

New forum user here and a somewhat new solstice owner. I’ve owned my 2008 GXP for about 2 - 3 months now and i’ve loved every second. I just wanted to know what the 4, I, L on my automatic transmission means. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
4 is for in town driving supposedly. The I gear is for performance, it keeps the car locked in 1st thru 3rd and L is for standstill towing starts.

The I gear changes the cars performance drastically when playing in the twisties.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Wow! I can't remember how many times I have looked at that and wondered what in the heck does that (I) mean. Thank you.

Allen
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Here you go: Pontiac Answers 5spd Auto users; When do I shift into D, 4, I or L?
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...d-4-i-l-74635/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Due to Kappa owner turnover & transmission issues I thought it would be helpful to give this answer a dedicated posting.

2009/WELCOME EDITION/Solstice/Pontiac Performance/Front cover: Rear view pic Mean GXP (matching yellow license plate TRC 432)
INSIDE:
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER -
LEARN ABOUT YOUR SOLSTICE

Pg 8
Q: My Solstice has a 5-speed automatic transmission with shift indicators of PRNDIL. When do I shift into 4, I or L?

A: The D position (overdrive gear) is used for most normal driving situations. It allows the transmission to shift into fifth gear, which provides the fuel-economy* advantage. The fourth postion (4) prevents the transmission from going into fifth gear. It's used for driving around town when you don't need overdrive.

The I position prevents the vehicle from shifting past third gear and should be used when driving on hilly or winding roads.

The L position prevents the transmission from shifting past second gear. It should be used only at extremely low speeds, such as in parking lots or when driving through mud or deep snow.

*EPA estimated mpg 19 city/27 hwy (Solstice GXP with auto); 19 city/24 hwy (Solstice with auto.).

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 06-20-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot i’ll be sure to use those from now on now that I know what they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode