Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Chirpy/Rattling Noise???

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  The_Ghost 
#1 ·
OK I'm looking for some help here!
Car is an '07 GXP, AT, 2.0 L Turbo.
This is a recurring problem. Keeps setting a P2090 code ("B" camshaft actuator - which has been replaced).
At times, on startup - the engine runs extremely rough and on acceleration from a stop makes a chirpy rattling noise! I can clear the code restart the engine and it runs perfectly fine (!) and will do so for anywhere from a couple hours up to a week. At other times, I can start it up and it runs like crap with this weird chirpy noise and will barely stay running unless you keep your foot on the gas!... but clear the code and the thing runs perfect again! (I've checked the wiring harness and haven't found any broken/frayed wires.) The B camshaft timing actuator has been replaced with a brand new part. I've also put dielectric grease on the contacts of the actuator and the wiring harness connector (which seemed to clear up the problem for about a week), but then the problem came back!
The only thing I haven't done is replace the ECM. I'm wondering if there's some kind of weird intermittent problem with the ECM, a bad ground, bad actuator?
I just don't know where to look next???

#2 ·
I'm no expert but based on my '07 GXP I'd start troubleshooting with:

- The EVAP solenoid that is on your intake manifold. You can check it easily and for free. Do a search on this forum and you should find the DDM video for instructions. A bad one causes hard starting, rough idle (have to keep your foot on the gas).
- If you are still getting the P2090 code I'd replace both actuators even if they are new. New can still be defective. It's happened to me more than once. In fact I replaced a sensor last week on our K2500 and the first one I bought was bad.

As for the weird chirpy rattling noise, is it constant or only under boost? I'd check the turbo and exhaust manifold heat shields to make sure they're tight. I've had them come loose a few times. I removed the turbo shield because the lower mount had pretty much disintegrated.

I doubt it's your ECM, good luck.

#3 ·
I would take back your "new" actuator and get another one. And do the other actuator as well. If this doesn't solve the issue, then it's obviously deeper and more costly. My next step would probably be doing the timing chain and the actual cam phazers. I started mine this last week, I'll let you know how it goes!

I've never heard of the p2090 code be the cam actuators, so this is a new one for me. I'm not really sure what is meant by "B" cam actuator. Usually it's exhaust and intake. IMSMC, there is another cam 'sensor', if you will, that's screwed right into the block at the back of the motor somewhere....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.