Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Direct Injection Oil to mitigate carbon buildup

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ChrisBlair 
#1 ·
Found this article. I decided to give this a try. Found it at Jegs

Why do you need a special oil to account for a direct injection engine? Because the oil that runs through the engine of a direct fuel injected engine can make a major difference in the performance and longevity of the engine. Using the right oil can greatly reduce carbon deposits on the intake valves, and keep the engine running at its best. That’s why Driven Racing Oil has developed a line of oils specifically for the direct injection engine.
“Direct injection is different than port, or carburetor fed engines,” Lake Speed, Jr. of Driven Racing Oil explained. “The main difference is, the fuel is being sprayed into the combustion chamber after the intake valve is closed, so there’s less time for the fuel to atomize. As a result of there being less time to atomize the fuel, the fuel that’s not atomized is not burned, so you get higher levels of fuel dilution in the oil.”

Low-speed pre-ignition coming off a long idle period is a huge risk for direct injection engines due to the byproduct of this process that causes the fuel dilution and higher amounts of carbon deposits. While there may be ways to fix these issues mechanically, that still leaves you having to deal with your oil being milked up with fuel. You want the oil to be able to release the oil due to the chemical composition of the oil itself.
So next time you go to change the oil in your engine, don’t make the mistake of using conventional motor oil, check out the line of specialty oils from the pros at Driven Racing Oil instead.

See less See more
#2 ·
Be interesting to see if this is 'direct Injection Oil' or 'Snake Oil' :D

Given the predominance of DI engines in new cars, I would think (?) the big oil companies are already looking in to this. Maybe? Possibly?

#5 ·
And it does'nt address the carbon on the valves.

Sounds like snake oil. As John said, an oil analysis would determine if there was a problem.

I read somewhere that atomising closer to the cylinder was better because it has less time to form droplets compared to the long runs of port and throttle body injection.

#7 ·
And it does'nt address the carbon on the valves.......
That depends on the source of the carbon, because it would if fuel mixed into the oil made it easier for the oil to get into the intake. From the description it seems that their oil formulation does not mix with the fuel, thus allowing the fuel to flash without taking oil or oil additives with it.

Oil analysis is definitely the key. I did it several times for my NA but haven't done it for the RL.

#6 ·
Color me skeptical.(to say the least)

#8 ·
BMW owners with high performance models often do periodic oil testing (warns you if the bearings are starting to get ropy). See https://www.blackstone-labs.com
They send you a sampling kit on request and give results pretty quickly when you send in the sample.

#10 ·
OK then, what about Marvel Mystery oil? In the gas? In the oil? What do you think?

Or how about STP? Is that the same?

I would'a tried it for the heck of it but just changed with mobile1

I used to use it in the Jeep but its an ancient 292 ford V-8. For that matter, I used to use that lead replacement stuff in it when unleaded fuel came out and leaded fuel was no longer available. But I stopped and it didn't seem to matter.

What your opinion about that??

Attachments

#12 ·
OK then, what about Marvel Mystery oil? In the gas? In the oil? What do you think?

Or how about STP? Is that the same?

I would'a tried it for the heck of it but just changed with mobile1
I don't like any oil additive to gasoline - it results in pinging and you know where that can lead on engines running up to 25 psi or so boost.

Although I certainly used to enjoy smelling the vintage (mostly pre-war) racers using Castrol R in the crankcase, when it burned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.