Elsie took a hit...your thoughts... - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 PM

back in the '90s I saw pics of LS6 Chevelles that had been in the woods for twenty years, bent at right angles. They were fixed. Saw another pic of a car that looked like the Titanic, including bow and stern separation and being underwater.

It was fixed.

Depending on what you want, Ghost has excellent advice: fight it if you want the car. That's not actually a hard fix. It's a PITA fix. But pros are paid for that sort of thing.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:02 PM

While it is true that virtually anything can be repaired, it is not always true that the repair can be done for what an insurance company is willing to pay. The question might be whether you are willing to pay the difference between that amount and what it is going to cost.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:32 PM

Nobody's arguing against that John.

However what insurance companies routinely consider 'totaled' is, as you know, a sin. And I don't mean becasue we like a certain cool car.

The nonsense and wool being pulled and outright deceit in the insurance industry- from customers and purveyors and repair shops alike- has turned the whole thing into a game in which the industry wastes and rewards based on perverted standards, the wrong people benefit and the customer too often is forced into feeling he or she 'must' settle for less than what's right- or even legal.

I have had a body shop- Factory Collision in Weymoth MA- take my insurance company to court not once, but twice, for two different cars, because my insurance company was breaking the law regarding the money owed for my repairs. They (and I) won both times. However the car was in the shop each time for months on 10-20 hour jobs as a result.

The rock and the hard place owners are caught between is shameful and wrong.
Sting Ya likes this.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=ChrisBlair;2180951]back in the '90s I saw pics of LS6 Chevelles that had been in the woods for twenty years, bent at right angles. They were fixed. Saw another pic of a car that looked like the Titanic, including bow and stern separation and being underwater.

Don't want to ruffle any feathers but as the owner of both a Chevelle (a documented SS 396 car ) and a Solstice the Chevelle is probably worth 3 to 4 times what the Solstice is and I have an agreed policy on the car for $18000.00. An LS6 Chevelle restored can go anywhere from $85000.00 to $ 1.15 million that's why people are restoring them add in the fact that you can buy any part for the car from the aftermarket hell you can build one with just aftermarket parts . Unfortunately that cannot be said about the Solstice and unless you have some type of special insurance ie: agreed value and a ton of documentation it's just a 10 year old car that's not made anymore .Add in the fact that an adjuster takes into account the Blue Book value and in the long run he's working for the insurance company the owner usually receives the sort end of the stick . One other thing that comes into play is most adjusters are people who have worked in the auto body repair industry so they know what they are looking at one of my best friends is an adjuster. I wish you well with this issue but again the cards are stacked against you if they decide to total it .

Last edited by Sting Ya; 05-08-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
That sucks. Glad you're okay, Richard.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:11 PM

[quote=Sting Ya;2180967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
back in the '90s I saw pics of LS6 Chevelles that had been in the woods for twenty years, bent at right angles. They were fixed. Saw another pic of a car that looked like the Titanic, including bow and stern separation and being underwater.

Don't want to ruffle any feathers but as the owner of both a Chevelle (a documented SS 396 car ) and a Solstice the Chevelle is probably worth 3 to 4 times what the Solstice is and I have an agreed policy on the car for $18000.00. An LS6 Chevelle restored can go anywhere from $85000.00 to $ 1.15 million that's why people are restoring them add in the fact that you can buy any part for the car from the aftermarket hell you can build one with just aftermarket parts . Unfortunately that cannot be said about the Solstice and unless you have some type of special insurance ie: agreed value and a ton of documentation it's just a 10 year old car that's not made anymore .Add in the fact that an adjuster takes into account the Blue Book value and in the long run he's working for the insurance company the owner usually receives the sort end of the stick . One other thing that comes into play is most adjusters are people who have worked in the auto body repair industry so they know what they are looking at one of my best friends is an adjuster. I wish you well with this issue but again the cards are stacked against you if they decide to total it .
I don't understand people a lot of times and this is a great example. We tend to grab onto a minor point and drag it to the ground as if that was the focus of the statement. I think you've misunderstood, and you're trying to explain something to me.

I am certainly no stranger to classic muscle cars. I was heavily into that hobby for 20+ years. I know very well what the prices are and why. I would be amazed if I do not know '68 to '72 GM A bodies at least as well as you do. I also know a bit about agreed value insurance. And it can screw classic car owners becasue of the owner's misconception. Agreed value can and to my knowledge very often is defined as solely at the time of appraisal. But zero of any of that was the point.

Comparing and contrasting the insurance company's willingness to repair a 1970 Chevelle vs a 21st century Pontiac is not the point. In fact I can't see how a parallel can even be made: the classic cars I mentioned were not described as cases of an insurance company agreeing with the owner's opinion that the car could be repaired. Thirty years of negotiating with the ins co would be a longer time than I'd expect, if they were.

My comments should be taken at face value: they were examples of well known and very certainly badly damaged vehicles. Nothing more, nothing less. Perceived or actual value was not a part of it at all, and since it wan't an insurance job anyway, the issue is academic.

And...this isn't my damaged Pontiac we're discussing

Gone but not forgotten:

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Nobody's arguing against that John.

However what insurance companies routinely consider 'totaled' is, as you know, a sin. And I don't mean becasue we like a certain cool car.

The nonsense and wool being pulled and outright deceit in the insurance industry- from customers and purveyors and repair shops alike- has turned the whole thing into a game in which the industry wastes and rewards based on perverted standards, the wrong people benefit and the customer too often is forced into feeling he or she 'must' settle for less than what's right- or even legal.

I have had a body shop- Factory Collision in Weymoth MA- take my insurance company to court not once, but twice, for two different cars, because my insurance company was breaking the law regarding the money owed for my repairs. They (and I) won both times. However the car was in the shop each time for months on 10-20 hour jobs as a result.

The rock and the hard place owners are caught between is shameful and wrong.
I think you are wrong here Chris. And I hope you are no longer paying premiums to an insurance company that acted in that manner.

Any owner with any sense should know, and can certainly find out, exactly what his or her insurance company is going to pay for their car if they file a claim. It is not exactly a secret. Knowing what they will pay, you have options regarding what you want to do about it. You can buy a different insurance, or you can pay only for the (usually) mandated liability coverage and self-insure for the rest of it. This latter course precludes borrowing against the car, but if you have to finance a car you can't afford to self-insure anyway.

I have encountered more deceit in my dealings with the body shop business than I have dealing with the insurance business. As I said, I know going in what my insurance will pay for any of my vehicles if I have to file a claim. I have had body shops fail to properly prep damaged areas, I have had them use sub-standard used parts when they were paid to use new, and I have had them use aftermarket parts when they were paid to use OEM. Clearly I will not use those shops again, and I have my insurance company to thank for standing with me to correct the deficiencies.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 AM

Glad to hear you were not hurt Richard. Lots of input from fellow forum members. Good luck with the out come.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Look I love my Solstice but had I not taken the time and effort to have my car registered as a collector car with pages of documentation and photographs I would not have qualified to have this type of insurance and if something happened to my car all I would get is blue book value . How many members upgrade their cars and don't notify their insurance companies than when something happens they get a base value for their cars that's my point .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode