Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Factory Sub replaced - now no sound from the Sub

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Hanlonrn 
#1 ·
My '07 GXP has the Monsoon system. I replaced the head unit with a JVC- KW-V350BT. I used the Crux interface as recommended and replaced the factory sub with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 8" shallow dual coil 2 ohm sub. Now I get no sound from the sub :frown2:. All the other speakers are working fine. I have checked all connections, power leads and wired the sub the same as the factory was wired (+ to + , - to -). I do not know if the factory sub was working or not. I assumed it was before the upgrade. Could the sub channel in the Monsoon amp be bad?

#2 ·
Anything is possible, of course.

Is the head unit set to drive a sub directly? The stock head units send everything to the amp and a crossover there supplies the sub. If the new one is set for a sub it isn't sending anything to the amp for the crossover to send on.

#4 ·
That was the only thing I could think of that doesn't involve a failed or mis-connected component.

Reconnecting the stock head unit, and trial replacement of the amp, are the only other thoughts that I have.

#5 ·
I have to agree with John. Either that or get another amp altogether. Find it odd that you don't know if the sub was working before. That tidbit of information could change a lot of things that you might do to troubleshoot this.

#6 · (Edited)
The system sounded ok before the upgrade with the factory stuff. After the upgrade I used it for a couple of months but noticed that the speakers on the doors (which incidentally I upgraded at the same time) seemed to be producing all the frequency ranges. So I got suspicious that something was not working well. Maybe the sub circuit failed after the upgrade, but I do not have any data facts to prove it. I just know I do not have any sound out of the sub.

I am leaning towards a mono amp just for the subm (something like Alpine MRV-M500), but I am struggling on where to mount it. Suggestions are welcome.

#7 ·
Mount it behind the waterfall?

#8 · (Edited)
I was thinking about that location. I am not sure what real estate is available but since I have the waterfall removed, I will do some measuring. Thanks !

Update: No cigar behind the waterfall. The only option I see (and very tight) is the storage compartment in the waterfall. But it has to be a really small amp. So the saga continues ....

#13 ·
Do you have the circuit drawings attached here? I also attached the head unit connector drawings.
Does your front-rear fade work correctly?

Attachments

#14 ·
John ... thanks for the drawings. I did not have that one. The one I attached is the one I have. To clarify, these are the terminals that connect to the OEM radio, correct? Do you know what else needs to remove the Monsoon Amp (as it relates to wiring). It has 3 different wiring connectors on it. In the diagram I included I see on the left something related to the Inflatable Resraint, but I guess it has no connection to the amp at all. (Not very good reading electronic diagrams ...). Stump

Attachments

#15 ·
Stump,

The X1 and X2 connectors are the ends of the stock harness that plug into the back of the stock head unit. I did not include any amp connectors because I am not at home and do not have them with me, but can post them tonight if you want them. Connector IDs are referenced on the drawings I posted.

The "Inflatable Restraint" reference is the so-called clockspring mechanism that is in the steering column to carry wires into the steering wheel. It is applicable to the radio system because the steering wheel control wiring goes through it. Its primary purpose is to power and control the driver's airbag, so it is included in the inflatable restraint system.

It looks like the amp connectors are also labeled X:

X1 = power, ground, and subwoofer
X2 = Speakers
X3 = Input from head unit

#18 ·
Last spring I added the sub while replacing my head unit in a non-Monsoon system.

Installed a Kicker 8" Comp RT in the OEM box. A mono JL Audio JX 250/1 is mounted behind the rear seat.

The sub is very quiet at low levels, but you definitely notice once the volume goes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.