Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Glass between the seats on GXP

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Northern Sol 
#1 ·
Good day, I have been doing research on purchasing a GXP and I have now seen two, and read and seen many pictures online, and something I find puzzling, I see some have a glass small window between the seats when the top is down and some do not. I do not even see this as a option. not sure if it glass or plexi or whatever -- is this an option on some GXP?

Regards,
Charles

#6 ·
I have searched the forum, googled it, and went to their web-site directly, and I still cannot find how version 2 physically installs to your car? to get the 'glass or plexi' whatever it is installed to your car it is noted interior mounted, ok that makes sense, how? is it double sided tape to the holder for it? or do you have to drill holes? this is not really explained. I think I will call them direct and post details.

regards
Charles

#8 ·
I installed my unlit Windrestrictor last summer and the kit came with double-sided tape, not velcro. The lit one, I believe is screwed into place.

#9 ·
Ashli at Windrestrictor specifically told me that Version 2 is held in with what she called "Air Force rated Velcro".
It is possible that I misunderstood her. It is also possible that they have changed mounting material.

#10 · (Edited)
Just so you know there was a Solstice OEM windscreen accessories available through Pontiac dealerships designed specifically for the Solstice & Sky. A couple of holes have to be drilled into the decklid and it was an long oval shape that uses a mesh like material. You could remove it and store it in a vinyl pouch. I sometimes think it looks more upscale than the aftermarket ones. I'd post pic but can't at this time.

Also there was a cabin tonneau cover available through the Pontiac dealership. It covered the passenger seat area but leaves the driver exposed.

#12 ·
The original Windrestrictor came with a bobbin type mount that you could just slip it in and out.
If you do use either version and plan to leave it in place while the top is up, it is best to get
some of those little clear stick on bumpers like used on cabinet doors and drawers.
Use 4 or 5 and stick them on the window. That keeps it held away from the window and protects the defroster wires.

If anyone wants pics of this, I can post them later.

#15 ·
Original mounting system pictures.
Pic 1 shows it mounted in position on the white plastic bobbin.
Pic 2 shows it slipped off the bobbin.
Pic 3 Look close, you can see the clear plastic circles to hold it off the window.
Pic 4 Shows the circles mounted to the window.

You can also see I used felt circles (green) to hold it off the paint in the mounting pics.

Attachments

#17 ·
Here is a pic of my German made ( expensive) replacement for the GM flyswatter in use with the tonneau.

Attachments

Reactions: ChopTop
#20 ·
I had version 1 (trunk mount) but had to switch to version 2 (interior mount - right behind the seats) because of the kappasphere luggage rack the I use for long road trips. FYI - version 2 has several inches of clearance from the rear window. My version 2 is mounted with Velcro, which is nice for removal when I use my OEM tonneau cover. I'm going to have to look into that German set-up to be able use both the cover and the windrestrictor at the same time. :wink:

#21 · (Edited)
My Wind Restrictor

It is held in place by 3M Dual Lock strips. That stuff is amazing - extremely secure. 3M also markets lightweight small pieces of the stuff under the brand name Command Strips.

In any case, Wind Restrictor was courteous, prompt, professional and provided an outstanding product. I wholeheartedly recommend them.

As far as lighting, I bought the "extreme light kit." Lots of color choices. It wires easily directly into your car's lighting. After installing it, I added in a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch from Amazon that allows the light kit to be powered by a simple 9 volt battery when the car is off (for example, at car shows).

Attachments

#23 ·
Hello Greatgab, thank you (and everyone for the excellent information) can you please elaborate exactly how or where the velcro is attached - I assume small pieces of it literally stuck behind the sear on the inside of the car, perhaps female half and the male half on the unit itself?

Knight -- could you elaborate on the 3m mounting method? I am looking to see how others have done it -- so I may 'copy' their success. perhaps show actual mounting 3m pictures in place?

thank you

Regards,
Charles

#24 ·
can you please elaborate exactly how or where the velcro is attached - I assume small pieces of it literally stuck behind the sear on the inside of the car, perhaps female half and the male half on the unit itself?
There is velcro along the bottom edge of the plexiglass and you mount it directly to the tulip panel behind the seats.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.