GMPP tune install tomorrow - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

GMPP tune install tomorrow

Bought my 07 last month and can't quit spending money on this thing! New tires, New top, venom brace, backbone and probeam... Getting gmpp tune tomorrow and fingers crossed that dealership knows how or still has equipment to do this. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:11 PM

Garage
What are they going to charge you for the tune at the dealership?

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 PM

I am confident you will like the tune. I have enjoyed mine for six problem free years
Knote likes this.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Not sure yet..I'm taking them the kit sensors and pigtail wiring... Couldn't imagine being charged much more than an hour for labor. Bought the kit from crate engine depot...Will update pricing tomorrow
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:27 AM

I ran that tune from 2009 to this spring. You will enjoy the noticeable increase in power. If you have an manual, learn No Lift Shift; it makes a big difference.

Safe, proven, reliable, fun. Great combination.
Knote likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:45 AM

Have it in both my Sols. Love it. Labour should be around 1 hour.
Knote likes this.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I was charged $125 for the install...looking forward to some no lift shift action.. Any advice or just floor it and trust? Haven't had much seat time but it is a noticeable difference even driving around town after work tonight..
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knote View Post
I was charged $125 for the install...looking forward to some no lift shift action.. Any advice or just floor it and trust? Haven't had much seat time but it is a noticeable difference even driving around town after work tonight..
NLS only works between 6000 RPM and red line. Edit to add: And, I believe, only in Comp Mode and full nanny-off mode.

Red line and fuel cutoff, with the GMPP tune, is 6500 in 1st and 2nd, and 6250 in 3-5.

So as long as you are WOT and between 6000 and red line, you just push in the clutch and shift, with your right foot still mashing the accelerator.

This is more difficult than it sounds if you, like me, have decades of "first release throttle, then press clutch pedal" training.

The other difficult thing, especially with the stock exhaust, is knowing when you are above 6000- the car is quiet and it goes from 6000 to 6500 very fast. If you are looking to make it easier, I highly recommend a high flow cat and Solo Street Race exhaust

Bonus: With the 6500 RPM red line in 2nd, you can now get to 60 MPH before you hit fuel cutoff. Supposedly makes it a 4.9 0-60 car. If that's of interest.

Enjoy!

Last edited by lorennerol; 08-15-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice-i have a manual 14 vette too with a a&a supercharger kit... There was a lot of talk on the corvette forums saying nls is available for it too but I've never been brave enough to try it... I will try it on my Solstice- love this car, wish I would've got one a long time ago.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:27 PM

It's been easy for me to do incorrectly, for reasons mentioned, but I don't remember anything worst that missing a shift and hitting the rev limiter. Remember, it was an on-warranty GM-approved upgrade; I don't think they'd have done it if it wasn't pretty safe.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
NLS only works between 6000 RPM and red line. Edit to add: And, I believe, only in Comp Mode and full nanny-off mode.
No, that's not correct. It works in any mode.
raygun likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
For the price, why GMPP? There are no Solstices under factory warranty.

Also, why pigtails? The plug-and-play connectors are nearly the same price, and you don't have to trust the soldering skills (really, crimping, which is just fine if done correctly, much like soldering) an overworked tech who's trying to get a job done under book hours so that he can compensate for the jobs that take WAY over book hours. Performance Autowerks makes a *phenomenal* tune and has gthe best customer service I've ever encountered in any field.

Shrug. To each their own.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

I mis spoke-they were the plug and play connectors. Maybe I wasted some money-for my use i think I'll be happy,won't be the first time I've spent money on car parts when other maybe better options available...shrug

Last edited by Knote; 08-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
@Knote Then, awesome!

The GMPP tune isn't bad - it's an awesome upgrade over stock. No judgement here.

A lot of people use the term "pigtail" to refer to the cables that are available. I'm just pedantic. (Pigtail really means a cable that has a connector on one end and unterminated wires on the other end. Typically wound up in a spiral and taped together at the factory, thus the term: pig tail.)

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.
Knote likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 08-16-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 PM

Think about using NLS....the clutches are a weaker part of the transmission in these cars.... just a warning if you don't mind spending $2500 on a clutch. And since I haven't introduced myself yet....I'm the "negative nelly" of the forum.... I'll tell you not to do something because it'll cost you more money most of the time.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 08-16-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode