GMPP tune install tomorrow - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
@The_Ghost

Iíve heard the same thing regarding how book hours are calculated from a friend who is a Mercedes tech. (He said they do it three times, though, and take the average.) and, youíre right: the job is risky, both medically and financially.

But, Iím having trouble rectifying that with the idea of 15-20 hours for a clutch on these cars. The thing just isnít that complex. Iíve done a clutch on jack stands in far less time. Swapping an entire engine in this car doesnít take 20 hours.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMSMC the GM shop manual calls for dropping the rear end and loosening the motor mounts to tilt the motor to get at that top trans bolt. I can't remember and I don't have access to it anymore.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Norvous View Post
Brethren,
I have too many memories in the past of friends trying to power shift without using the clutch with disastrous results to show for So for me it's, clutch, shift,release .

serious drag racers use modified synchros to do it with no clutch, 'normal' street racer folks use a clutch and pray they don't shift before the clutch is in; it was called 'speed shifting' in my day

Bill
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
IMSMC the GM shop manual calls for dropping the rear end and loosening the motor mounts to tilt the motor to get at that top trans bolt. I can't remember and I don't have access to it anymore.
Yeah, it also says to remove the LH axle to swing the diff sideways to disconnect the driveshaft. Not necessary, BUT... The FSM for this car is very good compared to others I've encountered. However, some things it says to do are a little silly. Motor mounts are two 15mm nuts. I've removed them to replace the AC compressor, downpipe and a few other things. Takes 5 minutes, half of which is finding the socket.

I don't really suspect a conspiracy here. I'm sure there is a reason the book hours are that high. I just can't figure out what it might be.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode