The Joys of GXP ownership- Get the RED one! - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SilverStone1 Send a message via MSN to SilverStone1 Send a message via Yahoo to SilverStone1
The Joys of GXP ownership- Get the RED one!

I purchased my Solstice GXP 2007 model with every upgrade option that was available. I even sprang for the 19" wheels, Monsoon Sound System with woofer, 5spd automatic and the rear spoiler. The 5 spd automatic was so I could convince my wife that we should buy the car. Also, I was tired of stick having also owned a very fast Mazda RX7 3rd Gen, Twin Turbo with a 5 speed manual. That car was fun too, but to expensive to keep on the road and hard to find mechanics to work on it that were competent with it's alternative rotary engine design. I actually sold that car with the replacement in mind of buying the Solstice GXP. Had to be the GXP to compete with the RX7 in handling and acceleration. I'd say the two were pretty close with the RX7 maybe just edging out the Solstice GXP in power.

Right now as it sits in my garage, my GXP has approx 16K miles, being mainly a week-end car and I barely drive it even on week ends. I wouldn't consider it a practical daily driver, but it is fun to drive, especially on a sunny day with the top down. I consider this car to be an extension of my very soul on this earth and the condition I keep it representing the condition of my whole life in general. Of course I had to get the RED one because I figured if you are going to get one of these cars that screams "FLASHY" why wouldn't you get the red one? I enjoy the looks on peoples' faces when I pull up and they are trying to figure out what it is. Sometimes they'll ask and I proudly tell them "A MASERATI OF COURSE" ha ha, no I actually tell them the truth that it's a special model "GXP" designation with the handling package and extra pop of "Direct Injection" and a Turbo giving the engine a 0 - 60 in 5 seconds rating. It comes stock with 265 HP and 265 pound-feet of torque on a small relatively light frame. I'm actually glad I got the automatic and don't miss the manual at all. I like I can sip my coffee or beverage more easily with this auto trans. The computer learns your shifting habits and adapts to them which is kind of cool. Today I still enjoy owning it and it would be the very last thing I would ever sell if I were in financial trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:28 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Welcome to the forum

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 AM

Welcome and congrats. It sounds as if you found a nice example of the brand.

You may want to check out the General Motors Performance Product (GMPP) that brings the LNF up to 290/340TQ. It's basically a software upgrade that has to be installed by the dealership. The main advantage to choosing the OEM upgrade is that it keeps the car all OEM. It was also covered by the GM warranty when they still had warranties.

Having said that, there are a couple different aftermarket tunes available that are both cheaper and offer more power.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't mention buying the tunnel brace, rear end brace, and front frame brace. Most people on here agree that it helps to tighten up the chassis and allows you to enjoy driving the car more regardless of your driving style or performance goals.

Lastly, if it still has the OEM tires then you might want to consider buying a new set due to their age. Also, the battery.

Then again, my 09 is still on the OEM battery and tires.
easyryderca likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 AM

Garage
The main reason people (including me) went for the GMPP tune was to maintain factory warranty. That no longer applies today except to a few owners with continuing long term coverage, so you are free to go for other tunes that give better results for less money. I used the Trifecta canned tune and was quite happy with it (I later did other mods that went further but while I ran just that tune I was pleased with it).

BTW, the factory never offered a 19" wheel, although they did have 5 (IIRC) different 18" rims.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:51 PM

Welcome to the forum & glad to hear your pleased with your 2007 red GXP. Lots of threads on the forum about adding mods & tunes.
SilverStone1 likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=SilverStone1;2148165] Of course I had to get the RED one because I figured if you are going to get one of these cars that screams "FLASHY" why wouldn't you get the red one? /QUOTE]

Not to mention that everyone knows that the red ones are faster!!!
Rusty Boltz and SilverStone1 like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone1 View Post

Right now as it sits in my garage, my GXP has approx 16K miles, being mainly a week-end car and I barely drive it even on week ends. I wouldn't consider it a practical daily driver, but it is fun to drive, especially on a sunny day with the top down. I consider this car to be an extension of my very soul on this earth and the condition I keep it representing the condition of my whole life in general. Of course I had to get the RED one because I figured if you are going to get one of these cars that screams "FLASHY" why wouldn't you get the red one? I enjoy the looks on peoples' faces when I pull up and they are trying to figure out what it is. Sometimes they'll ask and I proudly tell them "A MASERATI OF COURSE" ha ha, no I actually tell them the truth that it's a special model "GXP" designation with the handling package and extra pop of "Direct Injection" and a Turbo giving the engine a 0 - 60 in 5 seconds rating. It comes stock with 265 HP and 265 pound-feet of torque on a small relatively light frame. I'm actually glad I got the automatic and don't miss the manual at all. I like I can sip my coffee or beverage more easily with this auto trans. The computer learns your shifting habits and adapts to them which is kind of cool. Today I still enjoy owning it and it would be the very last thing I would ever sell if I were in financial trouble.
Indeed! If you're going to have a mid life crisis (late life in my case), you might as well go all the way. Red convertible sports car!
SilverStone1 likes this.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Founding Member

Welcome to the forum.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone1 View Post
I purchased my Solstice GXP 2007 model with every upgrade option that was available. I even sprang for the 19" wheels, Monsoon Sound System with woofer, 5spd automatic and the rear spoiler. The 5 spd automatic was so I could convince my wife that we should buy the car. Also, I was tired of stick having also owned a very fast Mazda RX7 3rd Gen, Twin Turbo with a 5 speed manual. That car was fun too, but to expensive to keep on the road and hard to find mechanics to work on it that were competent with it's alternative rotary engine design. I actually sold that car with the replacement in mind of buying the Solstice GXP. Had to be the GXP to compete with the RX7 in handling and acceleration. I'd say the two were pretty close with the RX7 maybe just edging out the Solstice GXP in power.

i'm with you. Mine is driven usually about once a week as I work 6 days a week routinely and I do not consider texas summers convertible weather(heat index of 108 today) but on a cool day; it's awesome. so, it never achieves the status of even 1970's vette; I like it.

also with you on the red, the silver has a timeless look the solstice has imo; but red was the way to go.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SilverStone1 Send a message via MSN to SilverStone1 Send a message via Yahoo to SilverStone1
Tires and Battery and aftermarket upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Welcome and congrats. It sounds as if you found a nice example of the brand.

You may want to check out the General Motors Performance Product (GMPP) that brings the LNF up to 290/340TQ. It's basically a software upgrade that has to be installed by the dealership. The main advantage to choosing the OEM upgrade is that it keeps the car all OEM. It was also covered by the GM warranty when they still had warranties.

Having said that, there are a couple different aftermarket tunes available that are both cheaper and offer more power.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't mention buying the tunnel brace, rear end brace, and front frame brace. Most people on here agree that it helps to tighten up the chassis and allows you to enjoy driving the car more regardless of your driving style or performance goals.

Lastly, if it still has the OEM tires then you might want to consider buying a new set due to their age. Also, the battery.

Then again, my 09 is still on the OEM battery and tires.
Yes, my tires are original and so is the battery. The tires are getting a little long on the tooth though and will have to be replaced next year I would guess. I keep the car garaged and I even charge the battery once in awhile to keep it fresh. Under those conditions I think I can extend the battery through another set of tires. But yeah the tires will be the next thing I need to address on the car. I do my own oil changes and had to purchase some ramps due to the car sitting so low you can't get underneath. I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N High Flow air filter. I look like I'm a new member but actually when I was still waiting for delivery I joined and was contributing tons of commentary. But then I fell into a major health hole for a few years (brain tumor) and was forced to curtail many of my past activities. It's been a long 9 year battle but I'm a cancer survivor for now and enjoying the car once again. I lost all my forum chops and need to learn all over again how to customize my look here in the forum with special avatars and custom signatures. I wish I could access my old identity here as the original "SilverStone" but now I've become SilverStone1. The screen name SilverStone originally occurred to me because I owned a silver RX7 Twin Turbo that I was obsessed with for awhile. It took the red gxp to bring me back to american cars and I now love the GXP as well as I had loved the RX7. The thing about the RX7 although it was modified and had a tad more power than the gxp on a smaller rotary engine (only 1.2 liter as opposed to 2.0 liter on the GXP), the RX7 was a bit like being married to a very high maintenance woman, ha ha. Always something going on with it that I had to pour money into. When my wife totalled the toyota I gave her for daily driving (she was not hurt luckily, that's another story), I had to sell one of my sports cars. So between the 2 beauties I chose to sell the RX7 instead of the GXP. Love the GXP. I put fuel stabilizer in it when it's not going to be driven for a few weeks. Think I'm going to keep it mainly stock aside from those minor improvements I mentioned, well really just the high flow air filter, because it's plenty fast enough to get me in trouble and I don't need to make this into another RX7 where I was going broke keeping it on the road. ha ha.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
Indeed! If you're going to have a mid life crisis (late life in my case), you might as well go all the way. Red convertible sports car!
Ha Ha, for sure and that's what it was, A MIDLIFE CRISIS! But I also call it a trophy car that I deserved for working so hard all those years
Rusty Boltz likes this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Garage
I don't know if Maserati even makes sports cars anymore. The Maserati's I see around here in Southern California all look like bloated luxury GT's. Now that 3rd gen RX7, wow what a car from Japan! I see a lot of those with GM crate motors in them. But sometimes a convertible is just more fun...
Anyway SilverStone1, glad to see you finally got around to posting on this forum after all these years.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
... Then again, my 09 is still on the OEM battery and tires.
WHAT ?

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwm View Post
WHAT ?

Yeah - time (long past time) to ditch those tires regardless of wear. And as I said above, you should find them to be 18" not 19" unless the dealer you bought it from put non stock wheels on it.

I still have my original 2009 battery - been thinking about changing it, though....

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

19" Wheel Option on 2007 models and probably other years

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Yeah - time (long past time) to ditch those tires regardless of wear. And as I said above, you should find them to be 18" not 19" unless the dealer you bought it from put non stock wheels on it.

I still have my original 2009 battery - been thinking about changing it, though....
Maybe, but the brochure I still have from 2007 says you can get the 19" option, and I did. Just measured them the other day to make sure. Yep 19.5" edge to edge, not sure what information you have. I'm sure your comments were well meaning and all. Congrats on your 2009!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode