Just got GXP - 2007 - 100k miles - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Just got GXP - 2007 - 100k miles

Hi Guys,

just got a Solstice GXP 2007 with 100k miles... I am taking it to the GM official service first to do complete diagnostic of all parts possible, but I would like to know your opinion what should be CHECK first? what are the major regular problems with GXPs, I should be aware of?

Another question, If I would like to replace some generic parts like "air filters" or "exhaust" etc. for "sport" wise parts, does it help with performance and sound a little bit? Nothing super expensive.

Thank you

Last edited by patrikspacek; 11-16-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Founding Member

The air filter or CAI from the factory is the best and as far as exhaust it would be more for the sound than performance.
Sting Ya likes this.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Waterpump & ask them to run the service history based on the VIN and make sure all recalls have been performed.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:19 PM

read this:
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...4/#post2083690
Sting Ya and easyryderca like this.

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 PM

In order of importance:

1. Waterpump (about $1400 for the dealer to do this)
2. Hub bolts (3 on each wheel, make sure they're all there and that they're torqued to spec)
3. Timing Chain (about $2100 for the dealer to do this); It's literally cheaper to buy a long block LNF and do it yourself.
4. Coolant

These are the items you can expect to replace:

1. camshaft solenoids (both)
2. timing chain (if you need a timing chain, do the waterpump with it!)
3. waterpump
4. battery, most people should be in need of a second battery very soon
5. clutch if manual and especially if tuned
6. grease the top hinges
7. thermostat
8. all of the fluids if it has not been done; brake, coolant, oil, transmission, differential, power steering (about $800)
9. High Pressure Fuel Pump, especially if tuned (HPFP) (about $900 for the dealer to do this)
10. Valves need to be walnut blasted, **DO NOT** let them sell you a Fuel System Cleaning ...IT DOES NOT WORK ON A DI motor!! If you want to just give someone $149, send me the check!!!

I can go on and on.... You didn't chose a cheap car to fix or maintain. They can be quirky. But luckily you have us. Don't argue with people here when you ask about an issue, 99.9% of the time, most have had the experience or know someone that has had it and most of the time they know what to look for and how to fix it. You're #1 concern should be whether or not your waterpump (WP) was replaced. They usually go about 45k to 60k. If not, expect to be doing it. It's not cheap and not easy. You need a special tool to hold the balancer chain so that it doesn't tighten on you. To give you an example, book time from GM at last check was 8.6 hours to do the WP. Timing chain was (IMSMC) 12.2 hours. So if your local shop charges $150/hr, that's $1830 just for labor. The balancer chains are getting very hard to find as well. If you ever do need to replace the timing chain, make 100% certain the shop is doing both the timing and balancer chain.... Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Solstice club!!
Sting Ya, ChopTop, raygun and 1 others like this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys, i copied your info and I will follow tmr at dealer store.
I will also post images of my car tmr and the engine.

is there cheaper way to get this job done, instead of going to official GM dealer? Any suggestions?

Btw, anybody in Georgia, I will be happy to meet. Thanks
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 PM

You don't need to do the waterpump. Have them pull a history on it and see if it was replaced. If not, and it's not leaking, don't worry too much yet. Don't have it done. Wait for it to go. The only cheaper way is to do it yourself and if you can't change your own oil do not attempt the WP!! I would't worry about doing anything right away. Take your time and "learn" the car. Do your reading on here. I would have them check the hub bolts if you don't have access to a lift. See if the fluids were changed. If not, then that's where I would start. Doing the coolant first. Then any order after that. Didn't mean to come off sounding like it's a must to have all of this stuff done. I was merely trying to prepare you for "possibilities". Some guys here have had great luck with their WP and timing chain after 100k, but there's a majority that haven't. Most people here don't have more then 50k on their cars so a lot haven't had the experiences that some of us with higher mileage have had yet. By all means, I didn't mean to scare you and tell you that you HAD to do everything I stated. I would have them check the WP for leaks. And find out the last time any type of fluid maintenance was done and go by what the manual says for it.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 AM

I would not waste my time and money going to a dealer for a diagnostic check all your doing is opening up a can of worms these people are in the business to make money and if your not familiar with the car you can end up paying for a lot of unnecessary repairs ..Pontiac has been out of business for a while now so your best bet is to find a dealer who at one point sold these cars and is familiar with them in the Cleveland area a lot of these dealers ended up selling Buicks and GM trucks . Just take your vin to a GM dealer's service desk and have them run it for any work that was done on the car by a GM authorized dealer and any recalls preformed rear pinion seal , ignition switch ,and passenger seat airbag sensor membrane are the 3 that should have been done . Ask forum members who live in your area for suggestions as far as dealers/ repair shops go we have members all over the country who can guide you . These were niche cars which were made for a limited time so you need to be aware of that ,certain parts are getting almost impossible to find and performance parts are starting to go in the same direction as vendors no longer produce items for our cars because of the limited demand .
patrikspacek likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 AM

BTW, make sure you familiarize yourself with the Solstice lift points. The forum has literally read dozens of damaged lower front fender threads because garages don't know where the cars lift points are.

See lifting points PDF here: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-points-19139/ Print out a dozen or so and tape it to the steering wheel if necessary if the car will be lifted.

Couple other randoms thoughts, don't shut the trunk using the humps, don't leave the doors fully open when shutting the hood, and broken exterior handles are somewhat common. The back glass is known to come unglued, and the side windows can chaffe the top if not adjusted correctly.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 AM

Congratulations on your purchase! It's a great car. I have an '07 GXP with 194,000 miles and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems other than a clutch at 123,000 that the dealer diagnosed and replaced when all I had was a broken clutch pedal. That was my last trip to a dealer. I guess I was lucky, I got around 160,000 miles out of my first water pump.

You can find answers to most any question by searching this forum. A lot of VERY smart people here who know this car.
patrikspacek likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys,
I just came back from GM dealer and here are the results:

- PPS; install passenger presence sensor, WG4, Retainer, Module Kit - FREE
- diagnose; NO smell presented above 5K RPMs coming from the engine (my request)
- diagnose; NO clicking or noise from the engine when cold (my request)
- One of the hub bolts has been very loose (fixed)
- Used Vehicle Inspection (27 points?) - 180$
- Belt, Serpentine replaced (cracked); CP3, BELT - 48$ + 29$
- Air Filter, CP3 - 15$ + 23$
- Engine; CM, Oil, filter (Dexos1 full synthetic) - 17$ + 33$ + 7$
- TBS perform throttle body service, clean throttle plate and upper intake; CM, Cleaner - 40$ + 15$
- Install Ethanol fuel system. Dries all water in the fuel system and improves engine perfor. and efficiency; CM, Ethanol - 0$ + 22$
- Install J.B. fuel injector cleaner; CM, Fuel treatment - 0$ + 20$
- Spark plugs replaced; CM, 4x Spark plugs - 90$ + 48$
- Drain and fill manual transmission fluid; CRM, Gear oil kit - 60$ + 90$ (3 QTS OF 75W90)
---------------------------------------
- MISC.SHOP/EPA CHARGES - 17$
- Labor amount - 450$
- Parts amount - 288$
- Total 755$ - 100$ discount + 23$ tax = 678$

What has NOT been done, but needs to be consider in future:
RS10 Left Rear Axle Seal - leaking (minor leak)

Service conclusion: car is in very good condition; all pipes, sealing, pumps no leaking

Patrik Spacek
Founder of Went2Play
Video Games Developer

Last edited by patrikspacek; 11-18-2018 at 05:53 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Garage
Like many of us, I see you want to take good care of your new baby.
As mentioned above, by @The_Ghost, confirm the dealer checked Hub bolts (3 on each wheel, make sure they're all there and that they're torqued to spec). The bolts can be marked with a line in white paint so in the future you can see visually if they have loosened.

When do they recommend you change your differential fluid, and why did they omit that? I would think it would be done at the same time as the trans oil change. Could be they are recommending getting that done at same time as axle seal replacement?

They omitted flushing brake fluid. Pull off the cap and see if it looks pale yellow, or dark black. If black, make sure it gets flushed, at the latest when you have your brake pads next replaced.

They also omitted the coolant flush. Why? Do you have a record of when it was last changed? Did they test the coolant for ph and electrical conductivity?

Dealerships love to pour bottles into gas tanks, that is a service item they never forget, and it is especially useful on our direct injection engines. Looks like you got 2 done. But I gotta wonder about they're doing a "throttle body service" on a direct injection engine. I think all it sees is air that has already passed through the air filter. Maybe someone with more experience than me can comment if they have every seen anything needing cleaning in the intake and throttle body area.

Our fuel pumps normally make a clicking noise.

A "generic part" worth changing on the GXP is the engine management software. I am purchasing the Budget Trifecta tune for my new to me GXP. Only costs a couple hundred and helps a lot with performance.

For sound improvement most here on this forum recommend a Solo exhaust or perhaps a V8 installation if you have such ambition. Others, like me, are more likely to leave the exhaust stock and upgrade the door speakers.

Edit:
I see @The_Ghost also mentioned changing steering fluid. I'm looking for more info here on that one. How often to change it (miles or years) and is there a certain type and brand (synthetic?) fluid recommended? If I look at mine what color should it be for OEM fluid?
easyryderca likes this.

Last edited by Alannn; 11-17-2018 at 06:52 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
They charged you $49 in labor to change a belt? It takes, literally, 1 minute to do. Getting the top up and down is more complicated.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alannn View Post
But I gotta wonder about they're doing a "throttle body service" on a direct injection engine. I think all it sees is air that has already passed through the air filter. Maybe someone with more experience than me can comment if they have every seen anything needing cleaning in the intake and throttle body area.
Quite a bit of oil finds its way through there, as well - including any contaminants that it might contain. If you disconnect your intake, you'll most likely see a bunch of oil around the butterfly plate.
patrikspacek likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alannn View Post

Edit:
I see @The_Ghost also mentioned changing steering fluid. I'm looking for more info here on that one. How often to change it (miles or years) and is there a certain type and brand (synthetic?) fluid recommended? If I look at mine what color should it be for OEM fluid?
At this point, all of the vehicles still left on the road should have had all of their fluids changed at least once. As is the case with the battery. Some people maybe working on their second or third go around on these items.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode