Might eat my own advice here.... - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Might eat my own advice here....

Asking for a friend!

As anti-induction cleaning as I've been...I've been thinking about trying it myself with a cleaner. My question is this gents for those that know. Can I pull the evap solenoid and shoot the valve cleaner down there or is that too close to the valves?? I'd rather do it there then in the cold side pipe...unless that would be a better place. I know I've been a staunch supporter of NOT doing this....but I'm at wits end with this vibration and commanded AFR issue and I'm willing to try anything at this point to get rid of these things before I blow up my car!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I was thinken you may have leeky injector....but I havent a clue about direct injectors. I doubt 1 good cleaning will hurt the turbo.you could alwasy takje it off for the cleaning and have a flanged tube made to reconnect to the cat.....probably...not gonna happen..... but I have been looking and I seriously think the gxp ex manifold on a 2.4 will make more power than the base ex manifold on a 2.4, especialy if it had a seperated flange&2 tubes to merge down stream about 9" then a few inches on into the cat yes it would be basicly a be a loop to the converter on a 2.4. ( aka try Y header ), but back to your issue...yes I would have them cleaned before doing anything else. ( I seem to remember you already cleaned the valves witch can also make a over rich issue when there funked up) I would either try a pour in the tank or a injection method.the injection method would probably work faster and be less likely to possiably affect turbo...( in my head anyway) and on the turbo being affected...was that on peoples cars that ran stuff through way too much?? or...?? another issue with cleanings is....it should be done before the oil is changes as it does dirty the oil.witch will adversely affect the turbo's life. never clean after a oil change, always do it a tank before( for the pour in stuff) and probably atleast half a tank for the injected cleaners. it does send some of the built up cleaned off stuff/funk past the rings into the oil. so....yes do it to your friends car and see how it works out!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM

just a reminder, pouring 'something' in the tank will not reach the valves in a direct injection engine; it's got to go in the intake
Bill

Last edited by wmf246; 09-08-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmf246 View Post
just a reminder, poring 'something' in the tank will not reach the valves in a direct injection engine; it's got to go in the intake
Bill
No, I understand that. I've been the biggest vocal person against that here!! I was going to pull the evap solenoid and inject some seafoam into that with the car running. Or where the MAP sensor is at on the IC Piping....whichever people think would be better!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Good luck

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
Is this a bad spot?

https://youtu.be/H4CqlmUGQ_s

It's where i did mine.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:31 AM

You're much better off pulling the intake and cleaning the valves directly. You may also spot a problem in the process.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
When it comes to it, there is risk in either choice. Let us know what you decide

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:24 PM

I recall some others doing what you propose, but not sure where the threads are. As far as I remember they just pulled one of the small vacuum hoses at the intake manifold, and injected there.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
Is this a bad spot?

https://youtu.be/H4CqlmUGQ_s

It's where i did mine.
Well...just went out to see if I could do what you sent...and decided just to pull if off to see if it would run...and my car won't even stay running with that tube disconnected!! That's off the wastegate...right? So now you've got me wondering if the wastegate might have something to do with my issues..... Who knows what this issue that I have going is from...I'm grasping at straws.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

Last edited by The_Ghost; 09-08-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Well...just went out to see if I could do what you sent...and decided just to pull if off to see if it would run...and my car won't even stay running with that tube disconnected!! That's off the wastegate...right? So now you've got me wondering if the wastegate might have something to do with my issues..... Who knows what this issue that I have going is from...I'm grasping at straws.
To do what you are proposing I would tee into a line and then adapt my new line so that it will maintain vacuum but allow induction of the cleaner.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znaut View Post
You're much better off pulling the intake and cleaning the valves directly. You may also spot a problem in the process.
I agree with this. It's a hassle opening up the intake, but blasting the backs of the valves with walnut shells would be the safest bet.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I thought he already blasted with walnuts....... I musta got confuzed with somebody else. I doubt seafoam will do any thing at all. if it's a injector issue injectiong in the intake wiill do squat. but if it's funked up at the valves that is known to cause a over rich situation.and blasting is the solution. Ive tried oh somany different cleeaners to clean the crap off the backs of valves, nothing but blasting would remove it. I was soaking the valves each in different product.none did squat. a running engine over time could possiably, but not a short time. thus blasting with walnuts.and vacuming out at the same tyme. somebody on flebay had some shopvac attachments 3 d printed for doing so.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
The most direct path to the valves without removing the manifold is via the port that connects to the brake booster. There is a barbed fitting that threads into the intake manifold body, with a large hose that goes to the booster.

The correct way to clean the valves is to remove the intake manifold. I walnut blasted, but it's a messy process. You can also use chemical or other mechanical means to get rid of the carbon buildup. Going in via the evap solenoid isn't something that I see working very well.

Removing the intake manifold isn't difficult. The first time it took me about an hour. Now it's a 15 minute process. There are a couple of brackets under the manifold that are conveniently painted black. They're difficult to get out of the way.

Things can be made easier by removing not only the manifold-to-head bolts, but the studs, as well. The head of the studs require a female Torx bit to remove. It is NOT a regular hex pattern. Attempting to use a regular socket will strip the heads.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 09-10-2019 at 08:47 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Is removing the intake very difficult? You have to remember, you're talking to a guy that had issues doing the thermostat!! Lol
raygun likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode