Modifications - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, the exhaust manifold finally arrived. The original dealer who said he had 2 and wanted prepayment actually didn't have one. Finally found one in Wisconsin. I've had to file a claim with my credit card company to get my money from the Texas dealer. The old turbo is being shipped in the morning to Performance Autowerks and the head, intake, cams (and fiddly bits) along with the exhaust is at the machinists. When I get the manifold back I will have to take an hour drive up to Warsaw, IN to have them anneal the exhaust, then I will be sending it to Indy to have them ceramic coat it. Looks like at least 3 weeks before I'll be back on the road. Then it will be up to Performance Autowerks to finish the tune. Wonder if I'll be able to make the Power Tour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Baseline tunes for the control units have been done and are being shipped back today with the 5th injector kit from Performance Autowerks. Should be here Monday. I still haven't heard back from the machine shop on the head and port matching of the intake and exhaust.

The turbo is currently being machined for the larger compressor wheel and the cast iron housing is being ceramic coated chrome with the turbine housing getting a chrome powder coat.

Wondering if I will get her back together before the 4th of July.

Randy
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Here is what is done by BMW racing for the automatic:

Valve body is custom calibrated to provide the ultimate in clutch application power and clamping force. Clutch apply time is greatly reduced and inadequate, sluggish line pressure rise is totally eliminated (The valve body modifications performed by us are of a proprietary design and are unavailable elsewhere).
Hi Energy friction plates and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed in all shifting clutches.
New one way clutches (sprags) are installed in all locations
Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping.
Cryogenic treatment is applied to input shaft and planetaries to eliminate stress related failure
Sun shell is heat treated to prevent stripping
Lube system is redesigned to provide increased flow and cooler operation
Lock up system is revised to improve converter clutch application, clamping force and torque holding capacity.
IPTís proprietary package of modifications represents the most robust and capable 5L40E automatic gearbox configuration available anywhere.
They want about 5000US for this and another 1400-2000US for the torque converter rework.

Randy
ChopTop and Saveaux like this.
post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 PM

Please keep us posted on how it's going.
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reblacklaf View Post
No I have an Auto but it has been gone through and upgraded with BMW racing parts. They used the same Auto.

Randy
I didn't realize that the Kappa used a ZF/GM sourced trans. (My BMW was never available with anything but a manual so I never needed to look into it).

Can you install the slightly later 6 speed version in the Kappa? Wonder if the BMW paddle shifters would also work....

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if that would be a straight bolt-up. I would love to get one of the new 8,9 or 10 speed autos that GM has put behind some of their other turbo 4 installs (Caddy, Chevy and Buick). Their internals are much superior to what I've had done.

Now to try and find a 3.90 posi pig to replace my 3.73 open.

Does anyone know if this would be doable with the LNF engine?

Randy
Saveaux likes this.
post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

I used to race an MGA back in the 60's. The original 4 was getting long in the tooth and I was talking about a rebuild. A friend said to check with Mobile Oil testing in the Harbor (I'm in Indiana) as they sometimes have test engines for sale and I might pick one up for a song. Well, I don't know how we made contact but they said they had an MG 4 that only had 500 hours of testing on it that they would sell for 500.00. I picked it up in a crate and got it home. When I opened the crate I about fell over. It was a full Riley Race Engine with a transmission box that had the tail shaft cut off. Here I had a motor with twin webers and possible gears in case the transmission crapped out. When we opened the side panel on the transmission it had syncros on all 4 gears. That was the best 500.00 I ever spent.

Randy
rob the elder likes this.
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Founding Member

Could be wrong but I thought the 2006 with the 5 speed was a 3:91 rear, I do not know if the 2007 also has it.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:25 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Could be wrong but I thought the 2006 with the 5 speed was a 3:91 rear, I do not know if the 2007 also has it.
All years, All 2.4 base engines had the 3.91 differential.

All years, all turbo 2.0 have the 3.73 differential.

Easy? Right?

1st 1K - #741
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:11 PM

This link is from when Matt was testing the cams on his cobalt
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...89/index6.html
Along with a lot of useless junk there is some useful info
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, Performance AutoWerks is now performing the same modifications to the 5L40 auto that BMW does for their racing engines. It's also much cheaper (around 4000).

I just got word that my heads and manifolds are on their way back from Indy. They have finished the port matching and have also done some chamber work and inlet and exhaust runner work. They say I should have a 20% flow increase using standard valves and the cam I have selected. Once they get back a 5 angle valve job will be done and the exhaust manifold will be shipped off to be ceramic coated. The intake will be modified to accept Performance AutoWerks 5th injector which should clear up coking of the the intakes. I've also found a reliable supply of 100 octane gas without having to use E85.

Randy
ChopTop likes this.

Last edited by reblacklaf; 05-18-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: grammer
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM

Good luck with the mods & let us know how it handles after the install.
Saveaux likes this.
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reblacklaf View Post
I used to race an MGA back in the 60's. The original 4 was getting long in the tooth and I was talking about a rebuild. A friend said to check with Mobile Oil testing in the Harbor (I'm in Indiana) as they sometimes have test engines for sale and I might pick one up for a song. Well, I don't know how we made contact but they said they had an MG 4 that only had 500 hours of testing on it that they would sell for 500.00. I picked it up in a crate and got it home. When I opened the crate I about fell over. It was a full Riley Race Engine with a transmission box that had the tail shaft cut off. Here I had a motor with twin webers and possible gears in case the transmission crapped out. When we opened the side panel on the transmission it had syncros on all 4 gears. That was the best 500.00 I ever spent.

Randy
Assume the box was out of a 1967 or later MGB - takes up a bit more space in the tunnel, but some people like all synchro.

I always ran a non synch first gear trans with a set of close ratio gears in my race MGA.

You sure got a bargain on the engine with Weber - or did you really mean Webers plural - the MG head only had two siamesed intake ports so mostly used a single 40 or 45 DCOE. The only way you could run more than one was to fit am HRG Derrington crossflow head with 4 intake ports. Or do you mean two SUs rather than Webers?

The Riley 1.5 engines were identical to the MGA 1500 engines except for the cam profile used and a fe fitting details.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster

Bill in BC
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Weber singular sorry sometimes my fingers do things differently than what my brain tells them to.

Randy
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Garage
No problem - I see quite few people that call a single sidedraft Weber a 'pair' of Webers, so always check. Even so you got a good deal - did the engine last well for you when you ran it?

My race car runs the Twin Cam engine so the costs and parts availability are much higher and lower, respectively (it does a run a pair of 45 DCOEs).

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode