Modifications - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Oh, she ran real well, set a few records with her. It was easier to keep her tuned. The Weber was easier to balance than the SU's.

Randy

Last edited by reblacklaf; 05-24-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Update, so far the only thing to report on is that the BigWheel turbo should be back at the shop next Monday. I am still waiting to hear about when the head and manifolds will be returned from Indy Heads so the valve job can be done and the exhaust manifold sent off to be ceramic coated. I am losing so much cruising time and good weather.

Randy
Saveaux likes this.
post #33 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Hit a snag today while preparing to install the lash adjusters and cams. One of the lash adjusters was severely pitted. As the cams I'm running aren't stock the adjusters are longer than normal. Contacting the vendor it took a while to locate my order as it had been done by phone and not through their site. Once I located the packing slip in my stack of papers to be filed, they were very responsive and are shipping a replacement ASAP.

Well I'm not going to make the power tour this year.

Randy
post #34 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

My head came back. I'm waiting for them to send me the before and after flow rates on the head.

Randy
Saveaux likes this.
post #35 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Interested in seeing the before and after flow rates on this. Saw a few guys that went big turbo on an lnf on cobaltss.net but only a couple did the head also. Here is one of the threads
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...enched-275980/
post #36 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

I have been notified everything is at the garage and we can get started. Unfortunately, the fella who is helping me (I can't lift anything heavy by Doctor's orders) has to leave soon for hernia surgery. So I don't know how much we will get done over the next week before he leaves. I will send pictures and also the spreadsheet of the before and after porting. I can tell you the port matching looks great as well as the porting. I can tell you the fella who did the porting said my starting flow rate was better than any LFN that he has ever worked on.

Randy
ChopTop likes this.

Last edited by reblacklaf; 06-30-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Added info
post #37 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of the 3 gasket types used for the Turbo to CAT interface. The first is the original flat gasket with 2 steel outer surfaces and a compressible high temperature material between them. This failed on my car with a blowout from the inner circle to the outside edge. In addition all 4 bolt holes had failed and separated. The second is what is now being sold by GM as a replacement. GM Performance parts has designed this part. It is a circle made up of an inner and outer ring of steel (looks like this }{) with a graphite material in-between the steel. Major problem is there is no groove in either the turbo or CAT to set the ring in so you have to rely on a high temp silicone to hold it in place while you are try to align the parts and bolt them together, hoping that the ring doesn't shift on you. The last is what I am going to use. It is a 1/8" hardened copper gasket.

Randy

Last edited by reblacklaf; 07-25-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Pictures didn't show
post #38 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Garage
Too bad you can't get a very slightly thicker gasket so you could machine a very shallow guide groove in the turbo or the manifold (not both) but I'd be afraid of reducing sealing ability if you did it with the stock gasket as it might lose a tiny bit of clamping pressure.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #39 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the porting job on the intake and exhaust manifolds as well as the head. The fella helping me is in the hospital having surgery and I don't have the flow rates to post yet. However the person who had did the porting has stated that the head had flowed about 10% better than any other Ecotec head he had ever started with. Sorry for the poor quality as I had to use my phone. I forgot to charge my camera and forgot the power brick when I went out to take the pictures as we were putting things together.

Last edited by reblacklaf; 07-25-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #40 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:14 PM

I have a Pwerks catless down pipe and have NO gasket between the turbo and the downpipe.

2 machined surfaces should seal against each other

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
post #41 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdracing View Post
I have a Pwerks catless down pipe and have NO gasket between the turbo and the downpipe.

2 machined surfaces should seal against each other
That procedure SHOULD generally work, but some flanges will inevitably warp and result in leaks that could probably have been avoided by the slight margin of flexibility that a gasket gives you.

Believe it or not, back in the old days some of the MG racers used to run their T series engines with no head gaskets. They'd 'dry deck' the engines by plugging all passages from the head to the block and replacing them via external connections and the would lap the head to the blocks (for hours!) using valve grinding paste. Sounds a bit crazy, but it actually worked. Some of them still had the heads lift though, so the carefuk guys used a solid copper head gasket too.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #42 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Modifications

Pwerks sells a copper gasket for the down pipe if Iím not mistaken

Wow no head gasket
That would be crazy

Mods... LDK short block P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map sensors, Pwerks cross drilled / slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Pwerks stainless steel break lines, Solo Street race exhaust, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
post #43 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the Copper Gasket I sent a picture of is from PWerks. Friend got back from surgery on Friday and still is in a lot of pain. He is going to try and meet me at the shop today and discuss when we will be starting work again.

The circle gasket is supposedly the same one that Cadillac is using on their twin turbo V6 racing coupes so it should work. They found that the flat gasket ones would burn out during a race and the circle ones would stand up through a lot more abuse.

Randy

Last edited by reblacklaf; 07-30-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Forgot info
post #44 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, the car is running. Haven't really tried to push it yet as I want to get PWerks to get a good tune. Had a few issues several of which turned out to be a pinched wire which was easily corrected. Was unable to install the new High Pressure pump due to defects in the manufacturing (leaks) so I have to send it back and get a replacement. The PWerks intercooler is not a true drop in fit for DeJon charge tubes. Got to figure out what to do about keeping a good seal on the silicone throttle body hose and the same at the end where it connects to the intercooler. The charge tube coming out of the PWerks intercooler is about an 1" higher which throws the geometry off. I might have to take the intercooler back off and cut the charge tubes shorter. The other reason things aren't lining up correctly is that I put in phenolic spacers on both the intake to head and the throttle body to intake. As these are each about a 1/2" thick the geometry is also changed. Some of that can be handled by rotating the 90 degree throttle body elbow. The other issue I ran into was that the exhaust cam solenoid had to be replaced. Still don't have the flow chart sheet on the heads. They keep saying it's in the mail. I'll keep you posted (at 2-3000rpm it pulls like crazy on just 1/4 throttle.)
post #45 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Just install some Pwerks charge pipes.

I have the spacers, and Pwerks intercooler.

Too bad you wonít get HP numbers as Pwerks doesnít have a dyno.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode