Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Modifications

20K views 88 replies 17 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 ·
I'm currently adding further modifications to my GXP. I've replaced the silicone turbo pipes with mandrel bent aluminum, put in a Performance Werks intercooler, Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP tune and upgrades with both front and back cross-member stabilizers and .25" tunnel brace. I also put on a set of 18x8.5 wheels from Stern (before they went out of business) and had them powder-coated to match the silver of the front wind screen and M bar. It's shod with 18x255/35 rubber. I'm putting in Comp Cams stage II cams, Opel injectors, improved high pressure direct injection fuel pump and BC Racing Coilovers. Then it is off to Performance Werks up near Chicago to add a methanol injection system, large impeller turbo and blow-off valve and then have it tuned.

I've had the car since it was new as my wife had bought it for me as a birthday/Christmas present in 2007. I was born on Dec 23, 1946. My health had be keeping from working on my 1969 Opel GT project car and she bought it so I would have something to drive to shows and do solo and rally racing as well as attend car shows. It is Mean Yellow and has just over 46,000 miles.

Next year I plan on putting on some aero packages and removing all emblems. It will be painted Cadillac Black Diamond with all black intakes and splinters painted to match the silver around the front wind screen and M bar.

Have fun and wish me luck!

See less See more
#4 ·
That turbo won't be any problem for the stock manual transmission provided it is shifted sensibly - I have the same set up.

I wasn't aware that Comp Cams was doing anything for the LNF - maybe you could post the specs - I'd be curious to see what they suggest.

FWIW, it is generally accepted practice to also upgrade the valve springs when you swap cams - not that you WILL use higher rpm - there is so much mid range there really isn't much need to buzz the engine, but one can inadvertently take it a bit high and the stiffer springs are a sensible protective measure.

#5 ·
Waiting on these “comp LNF cams”

Betting he meant ZZP cams

Reactions: Sting Ya
#6 ·
For what it's worth a few years ago I was looking for a cam for my car .Comp Cams with whom I've dealt with in the past recommended getting the specs and have one custom ground . GM has one listed in their Performance parts book part #889 58648 but I've never found anyone who can get one . A few other vendors I talked to said basically what Comp told me that I would need to get one custom ground .ZZP is the only vendor who has a listing for Ecotec cams and components .they have 5 different ones listed .

#8 ·
Here are the specs for the cams, I'm sorry it took so long to get back online.

ZZPerformance Stage 2 Cams
224° int duration, 438" int lift
218° exh duration, 420" exh lift

Got the head off and it seems that the dealership never performed the recommended retightening of the turbo/manifold interface during regular service, so the unit was leaking and losing boost. I thought it was coking of the intakes. When we got the manifold off we found that the unit was cracked on the s divider which is common but the crack continued down towards the outer wall and climbed up to the flange surface and finally to the outer surface. The unit is toast and I was only able to locate 2 new on the shelf units in the states both in Texas. Hopefully it will be here on Monday. I will be sending it out to be port matched to the head, sent to be annealed and then have a ceramic coating applied. The turbo housing had the same issues so I called Performance AutoWerks. They can ship me a big wheel this coming week but if I want any of the other Turbos it will be a 6-8 week delay. Man that will cut into my driving for the summer. So I'm settling for the Big Wheel. I looked at getting a unit from ZZPerformance but it would require additional modifications as their units are made for the HHR and Sonic so are not a direct fit for the Kappa. Really don't want to mess with my Solo Exhaust setup and 3" CAT or the linkage for the wastegate.

Since everything is going to delay completion I've ordered an Oil Overflow unit from DDM to install.

Randy

#9 ·
I looked up the performance cams from GM for the Ecotec. Here are the specs. GM 88958648

Ecotec Performance Camshaft Set

For increased power in naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines
Duration @ 0.050" lift is 247° on the intake and 249° on the exhaust
Maximum lift is 0.499" for the intake and 0.499" on the exhaust
Lobe centerline is 116°

About 710.00

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-ecotec-performance-camshaft-set-88958648

Randy

#10 ·
Ecotec Performance Camshaft Set

For increased power in naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines
Duration @ 0.050" lift is 247° on the intake and 249° on the exhaust
Maximum lift is 0.499" for the intake and 0.499" on the exhaust
Lobe centerline is 116°
From what I can see, the stock cams have In 203 deg, and EX 193 deg, but it should be noted that this is at 1 mm of clearance, which is around 0.010" less than the 0.50" your specs use.

Lift is 0.400" (give or take a couple of thou).

Looks like the performance set is a significant bump up - which explains why some head work is desirable to allow then to function properly.

Frankly, I'm not sure having more power, mostly above 6,000 rpm is worth it.

#16 ·
Well, the exhaust manifold finally arrived. The original dealer who said he had 2 and wanted prepayment actually didn't have one. Finally found one in Wisconsin. I've had to file a claim with my credit card company to get my money from the Texas dealer. The old turbo is being shipped in the morning to Performance Autowerks and the head, intake, cams (and fiddly bits) along with the exhaust is at the machinists. When I get the manifold back I will have to take an hour drive up to Warsaw, IN to have them anneal the exhaust, then I will be sending it to Indy to have them ceramic coat it. Looks like at least 3 weeks before I'll be back on the road. Then it will be up to Performance Autowerks to finish the tune. Wonder if I'll be able to make the Power Tour?

#17 ·
Baseline tunes for the control units have been done and are being shipped back today with the 5th injector kit from Performance Autowerks. Should be here Monday. I still haven't heard back from the machine shop on the head and port matching of the intake and exhaust.

The turbo is currently being machined for the larger compressor wheel and the cast iron housing is being ceramic coated chrome with the turbine housing getting a chrome powder coat.

Wondering if I will get her back together before the 4th of July.

Randy

#18 ·
Here is what is done by BMW racing for the automatic:

Valve body is custom calibrated to provide the ultimate in clutch application power and clamping force. Clutch apply time is greatly reduced and inadequate, sluggish line pressure rise is totally eliminated (The valve body modifications performed by us are of a proprietary design and are unavailable elsewhere).
Hi Energy friction plates and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed in all shifting clutches.
New one way clutches (sprags) are installed in all locations
Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping.
Cryogenic treatment is applied to input shaft and planetaries to eliminate stress related failure
Sun shell is heat treated to prevent stripping
Lube system is redesigned to provide increased flow and cooler operation
Lock up system is revised to improve converter clutch application, clamping force and torque holding capacity.
IPT’s proprietary package of modifications represents the most robust and capable 5L40E automatic gearbox configuration available anywhere.
They want about 5000US for this and another 1400-2000US for the torque converter rework.

Randy

#21 ·
I don't know if that would be a straight bolt-up. I would love to get one of the new 8,9 or 10 speed autos that GM has put behind some of their other turbo 4 installs (Caddy, Chevy and Buick). Their internals are much superior to what I've had done.

Now to try and find a 3.90 posi pig to replace my 3.73 open.

Does anyone know if this would be doable with the LNF engine?

Randy

#22 ·
I used to race an MGA back in the 60's. The original 4 was getting long in the tooth and I was talking about a rebuild. A friend said to check with Mobile Oil testing in the Harbor (I'm in Indiana) as they sometimes have test engines for sale and I might pick one up for a song. Well, I don't know how we made contact but they said they had an MG 4 that only had 500 hours of testing on it that they would sell for 500.00. I picked it up in a crate and got it home. When I opened the crate I about fell over. It was a full Riley Race Engine with a transmission box that had the tail shaft cut off. Here I had a motor with twin webers and possible gears in case the transmission crapped out. When we opened the side panel on the transmission it had syncros on all 4 gears. That was the best 500.00 I ever spent.

Randy

#28 ·
Assume the box was out of a 1967 or later MGB - takes up a bit more space in the tunnel, but some people like all synchro.

I always ran a non synch first gear trans with a set of close ratio gears in my race MGA.

You sure got a bargain on the engine with Weber - or did you really mean Webers plural - the MG head only had two siamesed intake ports so mostly used a single 40 or 45 DCOE. The only way you could run more than one was to fit am HRG Derrington crossflow head with 4 intake ports. Or do you mean two SUs rather than Webers?

The Riley 1.5 engines were identical to the MGA 1500 engines except for the cam profile used and a fe fitting details.

#23 ·
Could be wrong but I thought the 2006 with the 5 speed was a 3:91 rear, I do not know if the 2007 also has it.

#26 · (Edited)
Well, Performance AutoWerks is now performing the same modifications to the 5L40 auto that BMW does for their racing engines. It's also much cheaper (around 4000).

I just got word that my heads and manifolds are on their way back from Indy. They have finished the port matching and have also done some chamber work and inlet and exhaust runner work. They say I should have a 20% flow increase using standard valves and the cam I have selected. Once they get back a 5 angle valve job will be done and the exhaust manifold will be shipped off to be ceramic coated. The intake will be modified to accept Performance AutoWerks 5th injector which should clear up coking of the the intakes. I've also found a reliable supply of 100 octane gas without having to use E85.

Randy

#30 ·
No problem - I see quite few people that call a single sidedraft Weber a 'pair' of Webers, so always check. Even so you got a good deal - did the engine last well for you when you ran it?

My race car runs the Twin Cam engine so the costs and parts availability are much higher and lower, respectively (it does a run a pair of 45 DCOEs).

#32 ·
Update, so far the only thing to report on is that the BigWheel turbo should be back at the shop next Monday. I am still waiting to hear about when the head and manifolds will be returned from Indy Heads so the valve job can be done and the exhaust manifold sent off to be ceramic coated. I am losing so much cruising time and good weather.

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.