Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

New tires for GXP Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jwvess00 
#1 ·
Hello, I am thinking of getting new tires for my GXP, and I am looking to go upscale compared with the goodyear F1's that came with it. Based on what I am reading the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are the best summer tires, I do not drive it in the winter.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Charles

p.s I just bought a 08 GXP no winters, but needs new tires. The goodyear F1's are used up.

#4 ·
I tried two type of tires on my Kappa. Stock good year, and now I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I was especially impressed, compare to stock, by the wet performance.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (MPSS) is still for sale in some countries, but officially has been replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (MPS4S)

MPS4S outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations (I have read on the interweb)

More info and urls in this thread:
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/what-s-happening-michelin-pilot-super-sport-133225/

Be aware that there is a big difference between Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

#5 ·
Do it. Realistically rubber bands would be better than the stock tires but I'm running the Super Sports and will be getting the 4S's when changing them out again. I whole heartedly agree with RedOne07 about the wet performance of the SS.

#14 ·
Do it. Realistically rubber bands would be better than the stock tires

What? I had a GXP when new myself, and the opinion of the community at the time was the Eagle F1 GS2s were good but the Goodyear RSA tires were bad. My original GS2s wore out in 2011 at over 50K miles, too. I wish they still made them.

#8 ·
I have Pilot Sport 4S on my GXP... great tire, good wet traction (we had a wet spring in California), quiet tire - I can't even make them squeal on MOST turns. There are several other brands of good tires out there, but I didn't care about saving $100-$200 dollars - nothing but the best for my baby! :wink:

#10 ·
We have BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on our yellow gxp and recently picked up a gxp with Goodyear sports AS. I hate the all season tires. Since we are maintaining 2 GXPs and a Triumph Speed Triple I have to be more budget mindful. I have heard nothing but good things on Michelin 4 summer tires. Anything to get away from an all season tire .....especially the Goodyear’s

#15 ·
Pilot Super Sports have amazing grip in a GXP but they tended to flick rocks at the 'hips' around the rear wheel wells consistently. A set of front Splash Guards helped keep that down a lot. I have a set of Sport 4S on my Tesla now and they also tend to flick more rocks than I'd prefer.

#16 ·
I have them installed on my LS2 Powered Solstice, great tires. I just returned from the Nationals in Corning NY and with my luck the day I signed up to do laps around Watkins Glen it was pouring, but I was able to stay with the pace truck as he averaged around 75mph around the track, and the truck got a little loose in turn 8, my Sol did not, I was very impressed with the wet grip. I also rained for the entire 7 hour drive back to Michigan. Not issues at all. Great street/track tire IMO. I also purchased them at Costco, around $200 a tire installed, and I waited for the $70.00 instant rebate so they were a little less that way.

Granted I can still just put them up in smoke in the 1st 4 gears if I want to, but a great improvement over the stock tires the car had on it when I purchased it, and even an upgrade over the PS 3S's I had on it earlier. Luck helpd theat the 6,000 mile PS 3S's went on my wifes G8GT, they are the same size as our cares.

#17 ·
Hello,

Like cammerjeff I have the Pilot Sport 4S on my Solstice. I had them installed just before NASSAM2019, and drove most of the 600 miles there, and half of it back, in the rain. It was very stable in the rain, and the ride quality for me was good, too.

Someone else mentioned the Continental ExtremeContact Sport DWS all seasons. I had them on my Subaru Outback and was pleased with them in 3 season daily commuter driving (I had dedicated snow tires as well but probably didn't need them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.