Oil pressure problem - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:54 AM

I would never have started that motor after all the issues you described somethings wrong with your engine and all your doing is causing further damage !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post

Does the whirring change with RPM, or would you describe it as fairly constant?
I would say it sounds exactly like the noise you hear from an old transmission with a bad pump. It changes with rpm, definitely. But the noise sounds like it's coming from the opposite side of the engine as the turbo, it's noticeable from the driver seat.

I went back to get the car towed today but ended up hanging around and talking to the "shade tree" mechanic for almost three hours. At the end of the day, I was comfortable enough to allow him to take a look at it. Since it's Christmas and all, he said it's probably going to be Wednesday before he gets to it which I understand. There's no way parts would be able to get ordered and delivered in a normal amount of time anyway.

He's going to remove the valve cover and send me pictures and video of what he finds, and we'll go from there.

In the meantime I'm still toying with the idea of just replacing the whole engine and turbo. But every engine I find for solstice/sky keeps making a distinction between solstice/sky and every other car with the 2.0. There is a consistent price difference of 1500-2000 between the ones marked as FWD and the ones marked as RWD

It's hard to find an LNF engine that's new so I'm actually looking at the LDKs. Could that be why?
raygun likes this.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:15 PM

[QUOTE=The_Ghost;2163527]BULL$HIT!!!!!

Mine has a vibration at 1000k RPM. It comes and goes./QUOTE]

Back off on that throttle dude ... that thang' gonna splode!
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:31 PM

I gotta say this...Ö..I read every post on this thread, we are all guessing wut could be wrong with your car. you said you have a tech that you trust and knows your car inside and out and your not going that route, but to let a guy you don't know from a hole in the wall diagnose your car????????????? somethings not right here, and don't say I dint tell you so you are making a huge mistake and a bad call to save a few bucks. your first and biggest mistake was to bring your car to a guy you don't know and tell him from the gitgo your not car savvy, you just set yourself up to get screwed. do yourself a favor and tell that guy not to touch your car and get it to the guy who YOU said knows it inside and out. the odds are not in your favor......fortold is forwarned. I have been doing this a long time and im gonna tell you your gonna get screwed.
Halo819 likes this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
All of the OEM LDK applications I've seen are FWD, except for a weird Cadillac that's (apparently) specific to China. (I'm just looking at the Wikipedia page, so I could be missing one.)

That could affect the design of things like the exhaust manifold (transverse vs longitudinal mounting would obviously affect the amount of available space). That said, I believe ZZP sells LDKs for the Kappa platform, so this could just be a matter of incomplete compatibility charts on the various engine reseller sites. eBay is notorious for providing incomplete, or simply incorrect, application charts for engines and other components.

Based on your symptoms so far, I'd be surprised if you need an entire engine. (But, as someone (somewhat aggressively) mentioned, it's sometimes difficult to diagnose over the internet. )

Still no CELs?

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
do yourself a favor and tell that guy not to touch your car and get it to the guy who YOU said knows it inside and out. the odds are not in your favor......fortold is forwarned. I have been doing this a long time and im gonna tell you your gonna get screwed.
Not to bait anyone, but I'm having trouble reconciling your assertion that he shouldn't ask the Innertubes for advice, but should be able to tell a knowledgeable tech from someone who is less-than. More information about the car, regardless of its source, will enable him to make more informed choices regarding how to address this and other issues.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help. A lot of the questions seen here are about things that have happened to others, and it's easy to get good, useful advice about the right fix by taking advantage of others' experience.

Also, we try and be respectful to each other around here, even if we don't agree. (And we use spellcheck.) (And I get the irony in the pairing of those statements.)
Sting Ya likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 AM

I never said that he should not ask for help on this forum, I guess im misunderstood, also I find your fixation with spell check to be quite how should I say it oh nevermind. he is describing a problem in words and from those words we are trying to give advise. all I was trying to say was if he has a tech that HE trusts that's who should be checking out his car...Ö.not some guy he just met who may or may not know wut he is doing, so for that im being faulted????? get over yourself. as far as spelling goes this is a car forum not an English class.
Halo819 likes this.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:04 AM

guess I am to direct for people to handle, for that I am sorry. I just try to tell it like it is, not looking to make bad blood here. like I said im just misunderstood, that said hope everyone has a merry xmas, happy Chanukah and a prosperous new year. im done here.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:23 AM

ZZPerformance offers the LDK block with an LNF head. It's $2999, but it's a fresh motor. No rebuild. And it's a long block. So no taking all of the accessories off the old one...and it comes with a new turbo. And if you can't afford the $2999, they use a credit company called affirm. It's very low monthly payments and can have very little interest. I personally have used this company for some items last year when I was in a bit of a pinch and didn't want to empty my bank account or use a 18.99% credit card!! DDMWorks also offers a new LNF, but it's about $1k more.
Sting Ya and raygun like this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

@madman
I appreciate your straight forward words. That's the exact same thing I was thinking when I brought it there, but I wanted to give the guy a chance to at least look and see what happened. The mechanic I have now that I trust I met under a similar circumstance, they were the closest and I needed work done ASAP. I did have a hard time trusting this guy. That's why I spent a couple hours trying to feel him out. I know I'm taking a huge risk here by trying someone new, but we'll see what happens.
@The_Ghost
Thanks for that engine advise, that was the engine I was actually looking at currently. Seems like my best bet. I didn't know about their financing options though! I have a credit card with 3.99% interest right now until July of 2019 that I was going to use because who wants to throw a ton of cash at something when reasonable financing can be had. I'll look into their options if I end up going that route.

Here is a picture of the chain I received this morning. I'm gonna see if I can head out there later today to have a better look.

He recommends that I do the whole timing set with sprockets, pins and tensioner for $850

Or if I buy a long block he wants $771 to install it. Plus whatever it costs me to buy my own fluids
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_15455818394231_1545587348748.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	839.3 KB
ID:	92505  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:21 PM

at 156K miles AND depending on your long term plans for the car, "IF" you have the $, "I" would go for a new engine. $850 saved will go a long way in softening the blow...
Bill
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 PM

Garage
I mentioned spellcheck, again, cuz I cnt undrstod wut ur sayn, lolz! I'm not a grammar snob. Usually. I don't expect filet mignon when I go to Wendy's, but it'd be nice if the food is actually, you know, like, cooked.

After some (very quick) "research," it appears that the LDK head is longer due to some unknown FWD crap hanging off of it. Weird. ZZP's LDK product page has some interesting details, and the price is reasonable for a new long block. $2999 includes a new (stock K04) turbo, knock $500 if you reuse your (probably perfectly fine) turbo from your current engine.
Sting Ya likes this.

Last edited by raygun; 12-23-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the new engine and k04 turbo.

The friend I bought my car from has been begging me to let him buy it back. I told him about the timing chain problem and he was still willing to give me 3000 for it.

I got offered to buy a 2009 solstice that had a seized engine removed by the previous owner for $600. Owner never followed through so its got about 60 days left at the tow yard before it gets the abandoned title. I'm going to hold my old engine, buy the abandoned solstice and throw it in there (mechanic still has the engine he pulled from it so I can reuse oil pan and valve cover which I need to take off of my engine to use on the new one) and my friend agreed to buy that one for the same price.

All said and done I should have the new engine with all work done for about $2000. Seems better than doing the chain for nearly $1000 and still worrying about what's next to go on my old engine. The turbo was starting to have some bearing noise.

This will be my first time owning an engine with less than 90k miles. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for all your help guys.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:56 AM

From what I can see from your pic, that bar between the 2 sprockets is supposed to be putting pressure on the chain above it.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode