One down for the winter. One to go. - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

One down for the winter. One to go.

Completed all winter sleep prep over the last two days for the "Mean Machine"......
1) Had dealership change oil
2) Filled her up with gas
3) Hand Washed her
4) Hand Waxed her
5) Removed collision insurance but kept on fire and theft.
6) Cancelled Serius / XM
7) Added Fuel Stabilizer
8) Drove her into my storage unit and parked her on the truck tire tread pieces that my pal Harley got for me.
9) Disconnect battery and of course had my 10mm wrench drop out of my grip and land under the battery. Bought another wrench and will rescue this one next year.
10) Put on OEM GM storage cover.

Lights out. Will rinse and repeat with the Coupe in a couple of weeks. Dreaming of spring 2018!!!!

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 04:41 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
One down for the winter. One to go.

Amazon should sell (and may, I haven't checked) lots of 20x 10mm sockets.

Some questions. I'm in Dallas, so keep that in mind:

Why the tire tread pieces? (Haven't heard of that before, imagining preventing flat spots but not sure.)

Why oil change vs draining, then refilling when it's time to take it out? Sediments will settle as easily in new oil as in old.

(We're considering moving to Asheville area in a few years, forgive the ignorance. )

And, the best part of Texas: the turbo LOVES this weather, and the roads are dry. So, bring #2 down and enjoy the best state in the union. (Ducks)

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 10-31-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

The tire treads were recommended by pal Harley. He is in the tire business. They lose moisture over time when parked for a long time on concrete. Tire on tire piece stops this. My rides are stored for at least five months so I listened to the expert. Plus he was good enough to cut me two sets so I am covered for both Sols.

As for oil change I have always done it through my dealership. We live in a condo so I don't have a garage to work in. I am averaging 2000 miles per year per Sol. They are parked for half a year (winter) so am doing one oil change per Sol per year before they go sleepy.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades

Last edited by Northern Sol; 10-31-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
The tire treads were recommended by pal Harley. He is in the tire business. They lose moisture over time when parked for a long time on concrete. Tire on tire piece stops this.
I never heard of this before but it might be a good idea. I work at a ski resort and we try to keep our snowmobiles off the soil during the off season because the tracks dry rot worse if they are on the ground. I assumed it was moisture and microbes.

I'm putting my Solstice away for the winter for the first time since I bought it in April. Planning on a topped off tank, Stabil, and a battery tender. Maybe mothballs strategically placed to keep out the critters too.

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:20 PM

Some additional comments : I change my oil and filter and use Gibbs Racing LS series it has additives which help protect the engine when it is stored . My cars (Solstice & Chevelle) are parked on heavy rubber horse stable mats plus a large tarp that completely covers the bottom area of the car . Even though you are on a concrete pad unless you are in a controlled environment moisture will still work up thru the concrete .I have packets of moth balls strategically placed underneath and sheets of Bounce fabric softener in the interior /trunk and underhood .My car sits on jackstands this takes the pressure off the tires so I don't have to worry about flat spotting I'm able to start the car and shift into gear which gets the trans and rear end lubricated I do this once a month religiously .I'll also get under the car in the early spring and wipe down the whole underneath with WD 40 this keeps everything clean and any exposed hardware oiled . A good clean up and a wipe down of all rubber components with silicone grease . The interior is cleaned and I use Lexol on the leather seats to keep them from cracking I also clean the top and give it a coat of RaggTop .The more prep work you do now will mean the less you have to do in the spring and preserve the car .
easyryderca, 44thSKY and CycleCat like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Good points Sting ya. I did my interior a couple of weeks ago. I have a lot of JPM leatherwork in the Roadster. I cleaned all leather and then applied Leather Balm. I also did all rubber on both cars. As for Raggtopp I will do that in the spring.
Sting Ya likes this.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
Completed all winter sleep prep over the last two days for the "Mean Machine"......

9) Disconnect battery and of course had my 10mm wrench drop out of my grip and land under the battery. Bought another wrench and will rescue this one next year.
The only change I would suggest in your procedure above is that you leave the battery connected AND use an intelligent battery charger/maintainer. (an intelligent trickle charger that will not over-charge your battery). They are around $20-25 bucks. Disconnecting your battery as you did will remove some drain from the battery; however, the battery has a small amount of internal resistance that will still drain the battery and lead to "sulphation", a condition not compatible with long battery life. Of course, this depends on you having AC power available where the car is stored.

Otherwise, you have a nice outline of things to do for winter storage, steps I will be performing in a couple of weeks (as a Michigan resident where we have already had our first snow flurry).
Sting Ya likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Doc View Post
The only change I would suggest in your procedure above is that you leave the battery connected AND use an intelligent battery charger/maintainer. (an intelligent trickle charger that will not over-charge your battery). They are around $20-25 bucks. Disconnecting your battery as you did will remove some drain from the battery; however, the battery has a small amount of internal resistance that will still drain the battery and lead to "sulphation", a condition not compatible with long battery life. Of course, this depends on you having AC power available where the car is stored.

Otherwise, you have a nice outline of things to do for winter storage, steps I will be performing in a couple of weeks (as a Michigan resident where we have already had our first snow flurry).
Thanks Radio Doc. My Mean Machine is stored in a 10 by 30 storage unit....."The Coupe Cave". It has no electrical outlets. Riggs134 had the same problem when he stored his. The Coupe will be parked in the underground parking spot in our Condo building. Again, will have same issue. Shorter battery life could be in my future.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Yeah mine away too, just disconnect the battery and have never had an issue.
I washed the car and had it all pretty and on the way to storage it started raining. Have to go out there this weekend and clean it up before the cover goes on. I always miss her when she's away.
Sting Ya likes this.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM

Yeah, I'm relenting and admitting that it's "that time" again. Though Friday is supposed to be partly sunny here in SW Michigan so it might be the "last run" ending with Stabil into a full tank on the way home. Then, the final prep before slipping the cover on it...

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I am booked in with my dealership for an oil change on Nov 16th. After that based on weather Coupe goes sleepy. When we lived in Toronto US Thanksgiving was when I would park them. Now living in Windsor which is further south and milder we shall see.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:15 PM

I did my monthly start and run today put the car away early this year and remembered something else that I do .While it's running I put the air on and turn the temp up so the air conditioning compressor is getting lubricated and it removes any moisture in the interior .
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 AM

hmmm, yankee problems.

(I'm just teasing. I actually may be having these problems as I have finally lived long enough and traveled enough to determine the five months of 90 degrees and 90% humidity of Houston is not normal and no longer acceptable and am on 2 to 5 year plan to move to new England)
CycleCat likes this.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

The Coupe

Beautiful day today. Made her all purdy and have done the ten steps as listed at the beginning. Now she goes to sleep. Goodnight sweet Coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	77922  
Sting Ya and alberta boy like this.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:14 PM

Yea it's always bittersweet when they get put away especially if we are lucky enough to get a decent dry sunny day in the winter .The one thing that I've always felt with my cars was that in the spring when they get pulled out I'm like a kid with a new toy and an appreciation for the fun that this car gives me .
Northern Sol and easyryderca like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode