Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

resurecting a gxp

6K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  yevgenievich 
#1 ·
Recently picked up an 07 manual gxp that swallowed animals through the front bumper(I believe twice). There are a number of other issues with missfires, non working window regulators, and possibly some more issues. Obviously needs a new intercooler and there are not too many options. Ordered one that might be almost a direct fit from cx racing. Also did some repairs from the back side of the bumper and installed the stainless grilles for now. Have hp tuners already, so tuning might come once I am sure motor is still in decent shape.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum... get that baby boosting and back on the road!

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome.
Installed new spark plugs and swapped coils around to see if missfire will go away or move. Getting ready to upload a tune(have hp tuners) and get better charge pipes/intercooler installed. Both of those will be relatively major projects due to low budget. Also got a spare stock cat to modify for cat delete.

Attachments

#8 ·
Got it tuned yesterday. On stock tires, no bite in 1st or 2nd gear, but 3rd pulls nicely. I am sure there are some enhancements that I can add to the tune but it is ok for now. I used another tuned gxp as a baseline. It was a matter on giving up some credits, as I use hp tuners to tune my ls swapped 89 TA

#21 ·
Water pump has been good for almost a month now, maybe just driving it made it happier for now. Finished the shocks, installed rear brace, changed rear diff fluid and trans fluid. Rear end sounds and feels much better now.

Attachments

#22 ·
Some more progress. Installed the front brace, but had to hammer it a bit for fan connector to still fit. Also got couple of spare radios and fixed the cd player/cd changer on original radio. Short throw shifter is in as well. Window regulator was stuck, took it out and at first thought easy repair seeing the white guide being broken. Then realized the steel cable got damaged as well. Ordered new cable for it.

Attachments

#24 ·
Putting the regulator back is a pain. It works but is a bit noisy, I think it is because the gear is not crimped in like originally, but have an idea how to fix that next time it is out. Takes 11ft of 1.5mm cable and new crimp pieces.

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Final test fit, and it tucks in after welding it all up. Now need to make some sort of screen to replace where the factory portion of the bumper broke off. Shifter feels good, ride feels more predictable in the corner(bracing helped or might just that I want it to be better feeling) and feels like it gained a bit of pick up with maybe even 1 or 2 psi less of boost after intercooler change.
And the parking in the lines as it used to be a bicycle spot that been moved with lines just staying

Attachments

#27 ·
Awesome!

My bumper is also missing that center section. I unfortunately ran over a turtle at about 80MPH. :(

#30 ·
Finally took care of the passenger side regulator. Put a new unit in, but had to swap to old window hold down clamp for rear as the one on the new regulator had an odd angle causing misalignment of the glass.
Did not do a rebuild on this side as wanted to finish quicker but saved the old one for possible rebuild. Needs a cable just like the drive side did.

Also went ahead and added 3 bar sensors.

Attachments

#31 ·
Also been driving a base c6 recently, and actually found to be enjoying the solstice a bit more with better shifter, shorter length and better road feel. I guess I need to sell the collection of corvettes instead of the solstice.(been trying to get rid of the 96 for a while now, but nobody wants a c4)

Attachments

#32 ·
Decideded to do the water pump as it leaked a bit one more time. The holding tool I was using had a surround around one of the bolts and I mistakenly assumed it was designed so the bolt would not fall in to the engine. So I made zero effort on trying to get that one bolt out carefully as the tool should hold it. That was a mistake. After spending about 35min with flexi thing holding a piece of magnet ripped out of the old hard drive I got my bolt back. The water pump came out ok. When putting new one in, the bolt closest to the block on the cover is almost impossible to get. Took almost 4.5hrs but it is back to running.
Access to bolts is super tight, but I left exhaust and turbo alone.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.