SCCA T2 Championship Edition GXP Stats? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

SCCA T2 Championship Edition GXP Stats?

Does anyone have specific build and statistical information on the 88 SCCA T2 Championship Edition GXP's built? I am trying to verify that
VIN # 1G2MT35X28Y132484 is a true SCCA T2 and not a clone.

Do the cars have sequential VIN's like the production Coupes, or random VIN's? How many SCCA T2's are manual transmissions and how many automatics? Are they all Mean (Yellow) with two-tone gray interiors? Is there any doubt on the total production being limited to 88 cars (out of the intended 250 in the announced special edition?

THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 AM

I have a SSCA SSB edition Solstice. The vehicle has a special vin that identifies it as a SSCA SSB. I believe it's the 4th or 5th postion, mine has MS, other NAs have MB. I am sure that the gxp versions would have that feature as well. from what I have read they were all yellow with grey stripes and the NAs were all red with grey stripes. They also have special two tone seats.

LASTOY
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM

I had a friend run the VIN for build info, and it is indeed a SCCA T2! Details on condition to follow tonight, hopefully!!

Yes, my Solstice is my midlife crisis baby.

'08 Pure w/Ebony Leather, Power, Conv & Preferred Pkgs, Spoiler, XM, Onstar, Etched & Illuminated V2 Wind Restrictor, QuadK, DDM Tune, Race BackBone & ProBeam, FE3 Swaybars, Splash Guards, Brake Light Decal, Back-up Light Covers, Chrome Rims, LED Door Sills, Footwell, Trunk & Engine Bay Lighting, Painted Calipers, Auto Dim Mirror & fun things (including a Mysterious GXP brother!)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM
DRM

Garage
For me when I see the T2 GXP I look at the following:

1. 2008 GXP
2. Mean (Yellow Color)
3. Unique light grey stripping on hood and on trunk.
4. GXP spoiler
5. Unique T2 strip on sides of hood.
6. Unique two tone seats(grey middle and black sides. with T2 stitchin in seat instead of "GXP".
7. GXP floor mats.

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Deep/Ebony/Silver Stitching, traded 8/17/12 for a 2012 Ford F150 Lariat...I'm very sad.
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

My Garage

Last edited by DRM; 02-01-2012 at 12:48 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM

My T2 starts with:

1GMT35

So it makes sense that the "T" might designate the T2 edition. My Pontiac contact thought the total production was 90, but it would be interesting to get more firm information.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Hello Lastoy,

Are you sure about the MS vs MB in the Vin, being the tell tale sign that a car is a real SSB or a clone...I just got one and it has MB...is it a real SSB or not?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM

Car Collector Corner: 2008 Pontiac Solstice SCCA-SSB
Published: January 24, 2014

Q: Hello Greg and I really enjoy your columns in our newspaper. Keep up the good work!

My wife Eleanor and I purchased a 2008 Pontiac Solstice three years ago. It is a convertible and an SCCA-SSB edition. It was a low mileage, one owner car and that cost $29,945 brand new.

We only drive it on nice days and take it to car shows. It is a blast to drive and turns heads wherever we go. I know I would have a hard time finding another one like this, and we plan to keep it for a long time. Can you tell me how many of this edition were produced in 2008 and also what the SSB stands for? Thanks, Lew and Eleanor Brown, Gillett, Pa.

A: First, thank you for your kind remarks. Your words of encouragement keep me going every week as I truly love what I do.

As for your car, you are sitting on a very nice, rare collectible and a well built sports car from General Motors' former Pontiac Division. It's sibling is the Saturn Sky, which receives similar high grades in all areas of construction and looks.

Too bad both of these divisions were eliminated by GM, as they were all built in Wilmington, Delaware, through its final 20 cars in 2010. The platform used by the Solstice and Sky was called the GM Kappa platform.

As for your Solstice's designation, the SCCA stands for Sports Car Club of America and SSB is Pontiac's "bragging rights" badge following Solstice winning both 2006 and 2007 overall SCCA National Championship in class Showroom Stock B (SSB) road racing.

According to records, only 65,247 Solstice sports cars were ever built, including the hardtop coupe, which went on sale in 2009. The coupe is rare with 1,266 built before the plant in Wilmington was shut down.

Another note about the Solstice includes GM's original intent to build a "real sports car" in addition to its high powered and more costly Corvette. Unlike the previous two seater Buick Reatta and Pontiac Fiero efforts (both nice in their own right) Solstice proved its strength on the race track and was built for driving fun, looks, road racing ability and affordability. Even the world's most popular auto racing simulation, iRacing.com, has a class dedicated to Solstice competition which I personally enjoy very much.

Here's the best and final part of my column. Pontiac dealers received this announcement from headquarters following the second straight SSB win in 2007: We WON!! Solstice won the SSB and T2 classes of SCCA Club Racing division at the 2007 Runoffs at Heartland Park Raceway in Topeka, KS. Because of this we are offering two limited production models. The SCCA SSB Champion Edition will be available on base Solstice models, and the SCCA T2 Champion Edition will be available on Solstice GXP models. Each will carry unique graphics, stripes and embroidered light titanium leather seats along with higher levels of standard content. We will produce 250 of each special edition for a total of 500 starting January 2008.

Armed with this knowledge, you and your wife own one of Solstice's most rare models. Congrats and enjoy that Pontiac.

(Greg Zyla is a syndicated auto writer who welcomes letters from readers on collector cars, auto nostalgia or old-time motorsports at 116 Main St., Towanda, PA 18848 or email at [email protected]).

Original article:
Car Collector Corner: 2008 Pontiac Solstice SCCA-SSB - Sports - Daily Review

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 PM

The first part of the vin of my SSB IS: 1G2MS35B28Y------.
1 built in the US
G General Motors
2 Pontiac
M Brakes
S Chassis
3 Code series
5 Body type
B Engine type
2 Check digit
8 Year
Y Assembly Plant
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastoy View Post
The first part of the vin of my SSB IS: 1G2MS35B28Y------.
1 built in the US
G General Motors
2 Pontiac
M Brakes
S Chassis
3 Code series
5 Body type
B Engine type
2 Check digit
8 Year
Y Assembly Plant
I too have a T2 SCCA 2008. Knew there were only 88 of these models built. How would I find the production number for this model? Would you need the vin number?

Any help would be appreciated.

Marsha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Compnine lists 90 GXP SCCA T2 cars and and Smalldealer quoting Pontiac mentioned 88 GXP SCCA T2 cars.

I have the VIN of about 80 of them, including built dates. Will try to do some more work on them this weekend to see how close I an can to 88/90.

There is no VIN indicator that identifies all of the MY2008 GXP SCCA T2 cars, as seems to be indicated elsewhere in this thread.

In case you provide your VIN I can make a best guess how many where at least built before yours.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:27 PM

In the meantime numbers have gone up somewhat Ö.. Ö.. Ö.. I located 88 VIN that are SCCA T2
ChopTop likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:27 AM

vin numbers for SCCA T2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
In the meantime numbers have gone up somewhat Ö.. Ö.. Ö.. I located 88 VIN that are SCCA T2
Do you have the list of vin numbers, I am dealing on one now, would like to see if vin matches one of 88
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 AM

PMed you this earlier today you regarding the car you PMed me about.

I assume I have all Kappa VIN and also have a 88 car VIN list of SCCA T2 cars. Just PM me the sequential or VIN and I will be happy to check any car for you.

- - - - - few days later - - - -

Your VIN should be 1G2MT35X88Y132070

Production date 22-May-2008
Warranty date 3-Jul-2008
First sold to PA

When sorting the list to Production Date and the to Sequential your SCCA T2 is number 72.

I also entered the VIN into Compnine, the info can be found here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj8hm7Xwo3lyiOg8StMawj3W19U9iQ

Turns out I have several photos of this car available when car was for sale at Reynoldburg OH (weird, had expected it to be for sale in PA). I saved those shots in Dec 2018.

Last edited by RedOne07; 02-19-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 08:35 AM

Garage
I know this is an old thread, but I saw this beauty the other day. I don't see a GXP badge on the rear, so I wonder if this is a genuine T2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1164.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	621.3 KB
ID:	99359  

---
al_c
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 08:52 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_c View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I saw this beauty the other day. I don't see a GXP badge on the rear, so I wonder if this is a genuine T2.
All T2s were yellow, with a set of silver stripes. Are you willing to share the VIN, or didn't you get it? There was also special upholstery stitching on the seats and the seats were a Titanium color on the seating surfaces.

All in the spirit of FWIW!

1st 1K - #741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Diag question | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode