Spark plugs for LNF - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Spark plugs for LNF

Has anyone tried a bosch or E3 spark plug in their GXP or Redline? I used the bosch "plus 4" plug in my 2.4 NA and it worked very well. I like the idea of unshrouding the spark. I was not sure if that design would be successful in an LNF engine, where chamber cooling plays such an important roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat67 View Post
Has anyone tried a bosch or E3 spark plug in their GXP or Redline? I used the bosch "plus 4" plug in my 2.4 NA and it worked very well. I like the idea of unshrouding the spark. I was not sure if that design would be successful in an LNF engine, where chamber cooling plays such an important roll.
From what I have read, the E3 over heats on the LNF.

You're best off sticking with NGK's IX iridium or the stock AC Delco iridium, and dropping down 1 heat range if you're running a tune and pushing 21+ psi.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 PM

anyone have the part number for the ngk 1 step cooler plugs for the 2.0l turbo? As cheap as plugs are i was thinking of changing mine as they have 70,000 miles on em.

EDIT: I just found them on amazon for $12.14 each with free shipping. It is the NGK (3787) ILTR6A-8G Laser Iridium, though on there it says this does not fit our cars. anyone know if that is the correct part (i found part # on this forum)

Last edited by Exhibit13; 03-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit13 View Post
anyone have the part number for the ngk 1 step cooler plugs for the 2.0l turbo? As cheap as plugs are i was thinking of changing mine as they have 70,000 miles on em.

EDIT: I just found them on amazon for $12.14 each with free shipping. It is the NGK (3787) ILTR6A-8G Laser Iridium, though on there it says this does not fit our cars. anyone know if that is the correct part (i found part # on this forum)
Get the IX line over the Laser Iridium line. Apparently, the IX line is the premium, and the Laser Iridium merely OE replacement. I'd suggest the LTR6IX-11 as the recommended 1 step colder plug. I don't seem to be having any over heat issues on the stock LTR5IX-11, probably because I run rich under boost (~.89) for safety, but still stoichiometric (1.00) under cruising, so it still gets the opportunity to self-clean as it hits its intended temperature operating range.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 PM

hmm those are cheaper at amazon, only 8.97 each. you sure those are better than the others?

EDIT: according to the NGK website the laser is the same but a long life version. so is it worth the extra $?

Last edited by Exhibit13; 03-28-2012 at 07:59 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
hmm those are cheaper at amazon, only 8.97 each. you sure those are better than the others?

EDIT: according to the NGK website the laser is the same but a long life version. so is it worth the extra $?
Both have iridium tips, but the one you are quoting has a small piece of platinum pressed into the ground electrode, which in theory should last longer, which is why it is guaranteed to last at least 5 years or 100,000km. The one I'm quoting does not have the platinum insert in the ground electrode. However, due to the large size of the ground electrode relative to the tiny tip of the iridium side, it's not the ground electrode that typically wears and as a result does not cause the gap distance to increase, which is harder on the coil packs and causes ignition problems. Instead, it's typically the iridium tip that ends up being the issue, not the ground electrode. So either should give you 5 years and 100,000km.

And btw, platinum in spark plugs tends to be for durability, not performance. For example, many cars run better on copper plugs than platinum plugs. It's just that the superior service life of the platinum outweighs the better performance of the copper. So theoretically, the non-platinum tipped one has the performance advantage edge, while the platinum tipped one has the longer service life edge.

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 03-28-2012 at 08:32 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM

I guess i will go with the cheaper part you recomended because realistically i dont see myself leaving them in past 30,000 without a change anyway.

One last question has anyone tried denso or any of the other brand irridium plugs with better results or is NGK the way to go?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:14 PM

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I guess i will go with the cheaper part you recomended because realistically i dont see myself leaving them in past 30,000 without a change anyway.

One last question has anyone tried denso or any of the other brand irridium plugs with better results or is NGK the way to go?
30,000 interval is rather short and over kill, but hey, if that's what you want, go for it. However, either of the NGK plugs we're discussing should easily make it to 80,000-100,000km.

Denso's plugs are decent as well, no complaints there. Just stay away from the E3, and even the Bosch +4. I've seen lots of overheat issues with the E3, and the +4 tends to block off the spark, and accompanying flame kernel so much, it can actually impede performance depending on the application.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Eight years ago I cross referenced NGK iridium spark plugs for my Harley and never looked back.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcraig View Post
Eight years ago I cross referenced NGK iridium spark plugs for my Harley and never looked back.
Agreed, they are the only brand of plug I have put in any car I have worked on, in over 10 years. Quality product, fair price.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
Get the IX line over the Laser Iridium line. Apparently, the IX line is the premium, and the Laser Iridium merely OE replacement. I'd suggest the LTR6IX-11 as the recommended 1 step colder plug. I don't seem to be having any over heat issues on the stock LTR5IX-11, probably because I run rich under boost (~.89) for safety, but still stoichiometric (1.00) under cruising, so it still gets the opportunity to self-clean as it hits its intended temperature operating range.
Would these (LTR5IX-11) be adequate for a stock GXP? I think my car still has the original plugs (w/28k) and has a pretty decent miss warm or cold. Those are still NGK plugs as well, correct?

2008 Solstice GXP-2.0T/5spd R.I.P.
1993 F-250 SC-IDIT 7.3/ZF5spd
1967 Mustang Coupe-357W/4spd
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Founding Member

I would have a good dealer look at it before buying new plugs.
With 28K it should not be missing, it could be something else.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycostang67 View Post
Would these (LTR5IX-11) be adequate for a stock GXP? I think my car still has the original plugs (w/28k) and has a pretty decent miss warm or cold. Those are still NGK plugs as well, correct?
They are one of the recommended plugs for the LNF engine. I'd say pull your plugs, if no signs of fouling (carbon build up), or over heating (white/yellowy deposits), I'd stick with the stock heat range at "5" with NGK. If you're getting fouling, I highly doubt it's because the plug isn't hot enough, and I'd be more than willing to bet there's some other issue, like oil being drawn into the system through the PCV system, or a leak in the intake system leading your engine to run improperly. However, if you are getting the white/yellowy deposits, it couldn't hurt to try the 1 step colder plug. And if you're finding it runs fine under most conditions, but is missing under high boost, try gapping them a little tighter, but be careful gapping iridium plugs and make sure you never contact the iridium tip. If you don't have experience gapping plugs, you'd be better off trying to order plugs with a smaller gap, i.e. the "11" should be a smaller number 11 represents 1.1mm gap.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM

I only notice the miss at idle, otherwise it runs great. I will check the plugs and see what I find. There's nothing weird about pulling the plugs on these motors is there? I haven't even seen them yet.

2008 Solstice GXP-2.0T/5spd R.I.P.
1993 F-250 SC-IDIT 7.3/ZF5spd
1967 Mustang Coupe-357W/4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode