Starting issue - help? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The problem could be the ignition switch, but another possibility is the run/crank relay (51) in the underhood fuse block. It powers quite a lot.
Making sure it is seated is easy to do, and unplugging it and plugging it back in may help. You can rule it out if the transmission is in reverse and the backup light is on.
Very interesting. Other problem I sometimes get is she does not want to go into reverse. In order to get her into R I have to go into 1st gear and move a tiny bit forward and then I can go into R. Does not happen a lot but it happens. Could this be part of the problem?

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:38 AM

Assuming that you have a manual transmission, the reverse issue is non-electrical, pretty common, and not related to your starting problem. For a manual, the clutch position is the only thing that inhibits starting, and nothing prevents the car from powering.

You said that there was no sound, no nothing. Does that include the radio? If the radio will not turn on with the key on the problem is almost certainly the switch. There is one switch contact that activates the BCM, and it is the BCM that enables the radio.

What I have found works best for getting into reverse is to push in the clutch and almost simultaneously shift into reverse. It seems to work every time. You want the gear to still be turning as it tries to engage, but not very much. If you shift too quickly you will hear or feel the slight catch or grind, and if you wait too long you may not get the gear to mesh.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 06-28-2019 at 04:46 AM.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
Very interesting. Other problem I sometimes get is she does not want to go into reverse. In order to get her into R I have to go into 1st gear and move a tiny bit forward and then I can go into R. Does not happen a lot but it happens. Could this be part of the problem?
yeah - I have this issue with my stick convertible on occasion... I ignore this...

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Common. I believe the owners manual even mentions "double clutching" - pushing the clutch pedal in twice before attempting to put the gear shift into reverse.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwm View Post
yeah - I have this issue with my stick convertible on occasion... I ignore this...
This is good news and I will ignore it.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

This morning she did not start. I then restarted her and she fired up right away. As for the radio being on I canít tell as it is a KENWOOD and takes a few seconds to light up when car starts. Drove her around today and started her with no issues three times. I might be up for the knucklehead of the year award. When I started her this morning and nothing happened I only had the clutch depressed but not the foot brake. The underground parking lot is flat hence me not using brake. The other starts I did today which all worked I had both the clutch and the foot brake depressed. Could this be it?

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:03 AM

No. Should only need the clutch depressed.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
No. Should only need the clutch depressed.
Thanks TS. Wishful thinking on my part.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
This morning she did not start. I then restarted her and she fired up right away. As for the radio being on I canít tell as it is a KENWOOD and takes a few seconds to light up when car starts. Drove her around today and started her with no issues three times. I might be up for the knucklehead of the year award. When I started her this morning and nothing happened I only had the clutch depressed but not the foot brake. The underground parking lot is flat hence me not using brake. The other starts I did today which all worked I had both the clutch and the foot brake depressed. Could this be it?
To aid in finding the problem I suggest that you change your routine a bit. Turn the key to on and wait to see what happens. Then try to start. If it doesn't start, wait a again before turning it off to try again. If it does start, try to remember what came on and when so that you will recognize what is different if it doesn't work.

John
Lexington, KY
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
To aid in finding the problem I suggest that you change your routine a bit. Turn the key to on and wait to see what happens. Then try to start. If it doesn't start, wait a again before turning it off to try again. If it does start, try to remember what came on and when so that you will recognize what is different if it doesn't work.
Good science! I will do that. Thanks.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
There are people, and I think NS is one of them, who do not have access to power where they store their car. For them, disconnecting is the only valid option.
And I assume that you mean battery maintainer and not literally a trickle charger, as a trickle charger can easily overcharge and damage a battery.

I do suggest disconnecting power at the underhood fuse block instead of at the battery.
Sorry you are correct is a battery maintainer. The battery needs to be replace is damaged period. If you have no power then try to take the battery some place where you can put a battery maintainer otherwise it will get damaged.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hello John,
I turned her to ON and gauge cluster and radio lit up. I then tried to start her and nothing and no sounds. Turned her off. Then turned her to ON and gauge cluster and radio lit up. Again went to start and nothing. Third time she started right up. Drove to gym. Worked out and came back to her and she started right up.
Thanks.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

FYI I replaced my original battery (lasted 8 years) in April 2015.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:33 PM

OK, one more question: When the engine doesn't start, does the radio go off while you are trying to crank the engine?

John
Lexington, KY
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, one more question: When the engine doesn't start, does the radio go off while you are trying to crank the engine?
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I missed this. Just went down to start her to check and of course she fired right up. My guess is the radio does not go off. This morning she took three times to start. Fourth time fired right up. Did some errands and two times she did not start then second time fired up. As I mentioned she now just started right away.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode