Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Is there a way to tell? Tune and gas

4K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Dagan 
#1 ·
As I have posted prior, I purchased 3 of the 2007/08 Solstice GXP's that were used in the old SpeedTv show, Set-up.

I have been sitting on them for some time and late last year dragged them out to get running and set up for track day events.

As the show was a 2 year only event, everything was disbanded and I cannot find any information on the cars, so I'm kinda starting from scratch, which is ok.

I want to start a couple of threads to keep thing organized by subject matter and see if you all can help me do some initial sorting

So my first question is, Is there a way to tell if the car has a tune on it and if the drive by wire enhancement modification as been performed.

I can say that the cars have the stock, squished, charge tube on it and everything looks to be stock

Thanks!

Here is a forum link to a promo youtube.... https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum...eed-tv-s-setup-solstice-racing-tv-show-68581/

See less See more
#3 ·
Well...never put less then 91 in a GXP, especially if you don't know if it's tuned. I MUST run 93 in mine, anything less and it coughs and sputters.

#4 ·
Really? Interesting. Mine is tuned for 94, but when I go to the US I can only get 91, so avoid full boost, but I haven't had any drivability issues - if I had I'd suspect the fact that my normal fuel contains no ETOH while most/all the 91 down there does, I believe.

#5 ·
I would guess on the charge tube the Map Sensor. If it has one bolt in it chances are it has a tune. If 2 bolts chances are against having a tune. I would also think if built for a series it would be stock. To much to mess around with a tune for an advantage if racing or winning is on the line. That show looks like fairness is more important

#6 ·
TireKicker, I agree so I will look for one vs 2 bolt Map Sensor and I do know it has the stock IC cooler pipe that is crimped...

That show was also in 07=08 so a, who knows if one or another team was cheating and what has happened since... Just trying to find the baseline.

Same with the drive by wire pedal. Is there any way to see if that modification has been done?

#10 · (Edited)
The only real way to tell if the car has a tune is to read what's in the car and compare it to a stock tune. If you have HP Tuners, it's easy enough to read the car. The stock tune is available in the HP Tuners tune repository. The VCM editor (HPT app) has a compare function that's pretty straightforward to use.

The three-bar MAP sensors are a dead giveaway, but they're not required for every tune. If the cars were dyno tuned - which is a real possibility given where they came from - it's even more likely that the sensors would not have been upgraded, depending on who tuned it and how invested (and informed) they were.

What sort of boost are you seeing on the cars? Stock is capped around 15psi, if I recall correctly. If you're seeing 20+ then the car likely has a tune.

And, no: HPT and Trifecta do not include octane requirement stickers. :D

#12 ·
That kit does absolutely nothing.

#13 ·
Raygun, gotta be honest,, I have not see (or maybe the roll cage is blocking it) at boost gauge and I just asked the wife if she also said she does not remember seeing a boost gauge....

As to the builder checking the cars when they built them, the cars were constructed by Pratt and Miller (GM's Skunk works where they build all the race cars) and I tried to get some info from them to no avail.....

#15 ·
Boost gauge is in the DIC. Hit the page (up and down arrows) buttons on the steering wheel to cycle between odometer, tripometer, fuel economy, oil life, coolant temp and boost. If your car has the TPS, you'll also see tire pressure listed there.

Owner's manual outlines all of that, also.

#18 ·
Infact I'm not even sure how to turn off the traction control... LOL... STill trying to figure them out
For track use you are going to want more than the stock display data anyway, so plug your data display into the OBD port and read it that way.

This is the traction control switch.

Attachments

#19 ·
So, no boost gauge, but race steering wheel?

Can you post a pic of the engine from the side (either side will do)?

#20 ·
Ray, I can tomorrow when I am at my shop... Figure about noon

And yes, no boost gauge that I am aware of, but it did come with a nice wheel... LOL.. Really I bought 3 of these for a song and on a lark, and have spend very little time with them for 6 years. Dragged 2 out last year, put new tires on them, changed fluids and went to a HPDE and have fun, even without aligning them... then I put new shocks and springs, lowered them 2 inches and did a second event.... Even without aligning them again... Really, I'm being really lazy about them and I am trying to not get too excited about perfect set up etc..... We are trying to have fun, so quick and have more fun..

I did do a bunch of suspension work over the winter so I'm pretty dialed in there, now they just need more power..... But we are used to running pretty sophisticated 450hp, 2,000 911's, so while we are not trying to duplicate those cars (which can be very expensive per Hr with 30hour motors) we are trying to just have fun on HPDE days...

Really, I look at them like a spare set of clubs.... if I played golf...

#25 ·
If you have an engineering buddy that works for GM, he can read the tune for you, or you can buy HPTuners ($600??) and read the tune. But you are definitely tuned with the 3BAR MAP sensors on both cars. I would be interested in the tune from the racing versions that GM did!!! What state do you live in? Maybe someone there will read the tune for you and compare it to a GMPP tune.

#26 ·
I don't have any GM engineer friends.... yet..

So I live in Southern New Hampshire, so anyone in the North East is pretty local.. (Boston Ma is 50 miles away)

So, if you think there is a tune, remember, these cars were built by Pratt and & Miller, so it could be a awesome tune!

That said, if anyone has an HP Tuner, they can send it to me and walk me through the download process so we can share the info.... Happy to do that.... Anyone else see anything else of note in the engine bay?

All kidding aside, (yet yes, anyone can come pull a copy of the tune who wants it), if I buy an HP tune I can pull the tune off? What else can it do?

#30 ·
I don't have any GM engineer friends.... yet..

That said, if anyone has an HP Tuner,
Can it wait until NASSAM2019? I'll be in Corning and will loan you my HP Tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.