Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Tires

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Fla Tom 
#1 ·
The 2007 gxp I bought was delivered today (yes I should kick myself but I did not ask the dealers about tire age) . The car only has 5300 miles and the tires are original they look great but are 12 years old. My question is what tires are you using on your GXP? I have been happy with nitto tires in the past.

#3 ·
Why is it on every forum on the web someone suggests a fourum search ( I did not find the google search bar on this forum helpful) I participate on forums to enjoy interaction with other like minded people( I have many hobbies) I have been reading through old threads here for weeks but I did not think asking a question that may have been discussed in the last 12 or so years would earn chastisement, or is that what this forum is about?

#6 ·
My comment was not chastising you, although it is generally a good idea to search a topic before you ask questions about it, since you can then ask your question without appearing to be so lazy that you want answers simply given to you. People suggest searches because it is an easy way to find a lot of information quickly. Had you mentioned with your original question that you had searched, you would have gotten a different response.

I prefer the search function in the tools drop-down menu as it gives you quite a lot of flexibility. Others prefer the regular Google, directed at the forum.

Here is a search that I just did with "tires" in the title: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=18800365

The fact is that anyone who answers this is going to like one tire more than others, and someone else is going to think that tire is pure garbage, preferring the one that the other guy hated, and that is exactly what i said.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ on my RL, and MXV4 on my NA. Bob, in California hates Pilot Sports, and prefers Bridgestone.

How do you drive? When do you drive? Where do you drive? If you stay in Florida you may not need all seasons, and the roads I have driven there are so flat and straight that you could drive on just about anything and be happy. Are you a spirited driver? Or are you a sedate one? Will you drive in the rain?

#4 ·
Most guys will tell you the tire they use is the best.

I have Yokohamas on my non turbo and have been perfectly happy with them but I don't drive really aggressively either. I'm due for new ones and have not decided what to use next... probably Bridgestones or Pirellis next just to try something different.

Reactions: Sting Ya
#5 ·
This is one of those questions that has been asked time and time again by new members and people visiting the forum that's why John suggested a search . For every reply you will receive someone will tell you they like their brand of tires better it's just life . I'm an old timer and I still use the search engine frequently for me it's a great source of information and avoids going over something that has been discussed to the point of overkill . I can't speak for John but he is one of our very knowledgeable members who goes out of his way to help anyone and I think your remark is way off base if that's who you are referring to . Lighten up and enjoy this forum for what it is a great group of people who have a true passion for these cars there is a lot to be learned here. If you like Nitto's run them I prefer Dunlops

#9 ·
mine had new nextens put on it when I get it, I wish they were old....I would put a set of solar tires on it, affordable, great wet weather tread unlike the nextens with zero sipes to remove water as it rolls on down the road. of coarse it's rained 1 time since I got it. but thats not the issue. ( solar = sumito tire.wally world has great price on them...on line, delevered free in a day or so.)

#10 ·
Buy what you like, tires are subjective. Even my son and I don't agree on what's the best tire for a Solstice. When it comes to tires, tunes and turbos, you will never get a definitive answer here. Just opinions, and it depends if you're racing, cruising or somewhere in between.

I've found the search engine here to be incredibly helpful in troubleshooting. I have a few very different types of vehicles and this is the only site where I trust that the posts are made by people who actually know what they're talking about.

#11 ·
In addition to John's reply, I'd like to add that I prefer when people resurrect old threads as opposed to starting a new one on a particular subject. It keeps all the knowledge and advice in one place and you can see the evolution of the subject - from the initial advice and available technology to the most recent.

#12 ·
Good point, well made. It also has the benefit of showing people that an attempt was made to find the information. Of course in many cases it precludes the asking of the question, because it provides the answer!

#13 ·
Replacement Tyres

Tires are an interesting subject to follow. Driving style and other factors might narrow down ones preferred tire.

My 2008 track prepped GXP has just been fitted with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Research and reviews at various sites have been helpful. The cost is very reasonable and the fitment for 275 x 40 x 18 in the back seems to be tight yet an inch clearance on the inside.

Good Luck with your choice. Replacement wheels watch the offset........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.