Trifecta "Budget" tune is amazing!!!!!!!! - Page 15 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 226 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeholsen View Post
ok,

got it and installed and I believe it's ready to go.

if anyone wished to answer my questions, I'd appreciate it(the trifecta references and user guide leaves a lot lacking, speaking as a software programmer):

1. when it's on the cruise control, it's always on or just when you set the cruise control ?
2. is a little warm up always a good thing ? still a little cool out there this spring.
3. anyone know how to use the software to check how it's running, if that's possible ?

any other tips would be great.
#2 - yes....I do not romp on my car or even get above a couple pounds of boost until I'm at least 180 degrees.

#3 - yes, but the best way to "datalog" is to get hptuners. It's expensive, but there aren't many programs out there that will datalog real-time. The torque app isn't fast enough to real-time datalog. You will get a sweep of the sensors about every 3/4 - 1 second, which is horrible.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 226 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:41 PM

Trifecta Budget Tune On/Off

From what I understand and recall (and I actually own the Trifecta Budget Tune), the Cruise Control button actually DISENGAGES the tune, not activates it.

The logic being that the tune is active all the time if cruise is not engaged, but if you are driving on the highway and engage cruise to maintain a constant speed, WHY would the tune at that point then be engaged??? It would not. That would be the time when you would NOT need the tune engaged.

So it is actually pushing the large Cruise button that disengages the tune, the SET button does not necessarily have to be engaged to suppress the tune, only the large Cruise button. When Cruise is completely OFF, then the tune is ON.
Saveaux likes this.
post #213 of 226 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Garage
Allow me to clarify this.

The tune could originally be set for either the on or off switch position. I have mine turned on when the cruise is on - my thinking was that a dealer (back in the days when I still had warranty coverage) might turn a cruise off if he saw the light on, and if they did and then tested the car, they would get some pretty interesting and possibly warranty denying readings.

I had mine set for on=on. Oddly enough, I have seen a couple of people saying that they asked for this option but were told that Trifecta couldn't do it and that the 'on' for the tune had to =off for the cruise, something I know for a fact is not true. No idea why. Maybe they have decided to do them all that way for some reason.

I am tempted to go back and convert mine to a non-switchable version - with the bigger turbo, I can't run the GMPP tune without incurring significant knock!

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #214 of 226 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 AM

As I recall, Trifecta set the default position for the tune to be active when the cruise button was off. But you are correct, I do remember them giving buyers a choice. I just went with the default setting. Cruise On = Tune Off.
post #215 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:09 AM

My comment back to Trifecta!! - I mean wow.. what a shocker..

Install complete! (1/4/17).
Wow !!
What a difference in a totally stock GXP. Before I could hold the gas to the floor and the boost would go right to 14psi and stay there. Now it goes right to 21psi and flashes back and forth around 21/22/23 psi.

The character and responsiveness of the car are completely different.

If I want, is there a way to go back in the software and add the cruise control "on" to turn off the tune?
If not, no biggie. It just seems after the fact that the additional power is not good in winter road conditions.

Great deal!

Thanks,

Gary ô¿ô
post #216 of 226 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Just got my 07' mt gxp and wow! Been reading seeing a lot about the budget tunes and was reading some custom tunes required the install of aftermarket sensors. Are you just using the stock sensors?
post #217 of 226 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Garage
Better late than never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Allow me to clarify this.

The tune could originally be set for either the on or off switch position. I have mine turned on when the cruise is on - my thinking was that a dealer (back in the days when I still had warranty coverage) might turn a cruise off if he saw the light on, and if they did and then tested the car, they would get some pretty interesting and possibly warranty denying readings.

I had mine set for on=on. Oddly enough, I have seen a couple of people saying that they asked for this option but were told that Trifecta couldn't do it and that the 'on' for the tune had to =off for the cruise, something I know for a fact is not true. No idea why. Maybe they have decided to do them all that way for some reason...
I just purchased a Trifecta budget tune and thought a response to this old post might help someone else now. Firstly let me say the reason I want my tune set to as @wspohn says, "on=on" is 1, I can leave the cc button on and it stays on after restarting car, so I don't have to press a button every time I start car to get to the tune. And 2, when putting along with cc on I want the option for immediate full power to pass some jerk, pedal to the metal as they say, not first messing around with buttons.

So:
I have verified customers used to have the option to buy it this way.
I have verified Trifecta now says they can not do it.
Trusting @wspohn posts, I pressed Trifecta for an explanation. Steven at Trifecta today responds, "We've posted some updated calibrations to your download page, including one labeled "CC_BACKWARDS". We don't recommend using it, frankly, but its what you asked for. There may be some quirks to power delivery, which is why we stopped offering it years ago."

I will either use the cc on=on or use the always on file I also got from Trifecta. Just wondering if wspohn or anyone else with the old on=on option can report some detail on power delivery quirks they've experienced.

And it brings to mind a more general question, like if someone has gotten the competition mode = on option, or the always on option, is the cruise control operation messed up when using with the tuned mode? More jerky cc? Or other problems I should be alert for? Basically I'm a little mystified if cc works as normal with the always on tune, but Trifecta reports quirky with cc on=on. Perhaps a result of a software bug, not a necessary logical characteristic? Anyone?
post #218 of 226 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:00 PM

Garage
Thanks for that follow up - I always wondered why they were telling people they couldn't do something that they could obviously do when I got the tune.

I have never had any issues with mine and the button has been on for 8 years now )I have a modded turbo, so the underlying GM tune is not an option for me). I should ask them if they can dig up my tune and give me an 'always on' version.

I rarely use cruise (too much traffic locally - it is only useful for long cross country trips wit moderate traffic), but it still works just fine. I recall reading about one of the steering wheel switches getting high resistance across the switch which could be cured by cleaning but don't recall the details - maybe that is what they were referring to - anyone recall the exact problem?
Alannn likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster

Bill in BC
post #219 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Where?

Anyone know of a place near Jacksonville, FL to get the tune and other goodies installed. The place in West Palm Beach doesn't have it listed any more.
post #220 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Garage
It is very easy to do it yourself - no mechanic needed. If you have a lap top and the cord they send you it should take you 10 minutes.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
post #221 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM

I probably could do the tune, but I'm fairly new here and don't have a full garage setup, to install the Backbone and Pro Beam and whatever else catches my eye.
post #222 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Garage
Backbone is quite easy, but Probeam does really want a hoist to do easily.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
post #223 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:13 PM

Garage
The backbone and pro-beam are both quite easy. Both will require a hydraulic jack and a couple of jack stands. Ive used my battery powered impact wrench for nearly every mod that I've ever installed on the car. I can have my exhaust dropped on my GXP in about 2 minutes once the car is jacked up, using various extensions for my sockets on my impact wrench. Anyways, the backbone doesn't take long to zip all the bolts off using power tools, I'd recommend a torque wrench to get all bolts locked down to the proper spec.....ya know, instead of my trying to explain how to do the mods, just head over to DDM's website, download and read the installation instructions for any mod they have listed, then decide if you have the tools and expertise to do them. Location? A parking lot will work for either.

Edit - Where there's a will there's a way. You mentioned the tune - very easy, especially with a laptop~~

(Notice Latin Venom's car in the background of my desktop! I love that thing!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180328_155559_preview_1547785599931.jpeg.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	92875  

Last edited by Saveaux; 01-17-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #224 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Does anyone have any info on the necessary cable? Model #, place to buy, etc. WHY is it so expensive? I have OBDII cables, not the same?

I need to reinstall tune. DDM Works wants $175 for cable, $100 refundable. ??!?!?!!!

Where can I just buy one of these magic cables?

Thanks.

Mark

2007 Aggressive GXP
Solo Street Race Exhaust
Side-panel Rebadge (GXP)
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...5&postcount=12
Curt 11119 Trailer Hitch
Trifecta Budget Tune
Drag Race #19 Wheels
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/a...507_105709.jpg
post #225 of 226 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Garage
Not the same as the usual cables. Check with Trifecta directly to see what they cost, or if they would 'rent' one to you that you'd return after the reload of the tune.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode