Trifecta tune-now car won't run - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Get on the phone and have them talk you through it. It's not rocket science.
I spent the past 20 minutes looking for a phone number or an address. I have three disconnected numbers and one address that is in the middle of a residential neighborhood in WA.

Pretty glad I didn't get my tune from them.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Garage
Well I had the base Trifecta Tune and the car ran perfectly, was an absolute amazing improvement over the stock system.

Then I had DDM build me a GT2871 Turbo set up, they required a Trifecta custom tune, which was installed. It nearly exploded my engine, and we, nor DDM could access the tune. Dave at PAW got into it some how and tuned the car to run. I have been battling this nightmare for over a year now. It has finally come down to replacing the ECM, which does require reprogramming to stock with your VIN number entered.

I will never install anything or buy anything from a company that will not communicate directly with me before buying or after purchase. I am well over 10K into this nightmare with no end in sight. I have little to no use for DDM or Trifecta. Neither of which have made any effort to correct or help with the problem.
raygun likes this.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Garage
Wow.

Just... wow.

If you can't get Trifecta to stand up and do the right thing - I've found a disturbing number of similar stories online - I'd suggest:

1. Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. They sent you a product that does not work and are not responding to your attempts to deal with them directly. I'm not a lawyer but I'm reasonably certain that there's some sort of fraud-ish thing involved here.
2. Call Dave Gilbert and get a new ECM. It'll be less than what the dealer is charging, and he might make a deal on a tune, as well. It might help if you tell him about your debacle. (He also responds to email faster than any other vendor I've ever dealt with.) Sounds like he might be able to work with your existing ECM as well.

Best of luck. Please update the thread with whatever the outcome is.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 05-16-2019 at 10:40 PM.
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 PM

.....aaaaaaaannnnd NOBODY from Trifecta frequents this forum?

....I find that astonishing.
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 AM

Garage
It seems that there aren’t enough of us to generate much attention from vendors, with notable exceptions being DDM, Werks, RPM and the other RPM. :/

I’d make some noise on their Facebook page if it allowed comments.

Still, it’s surprising that they won’t even offer to swap the cable out. Of course, that might require actually communicating with their customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Garage
i had the trifecta budget tune but upgraded it last spring. both tunes installed and performed flawlessly, however communication from trifecta is somewhat lacking. i paid for the upgraded tune and 2 weeks later they hadn't posted it. i emailed them and the tune showed up in my account the next day. i never received a reply or explanation. that suits my current needs, but i don't think i would use them for a more sensitive tune, just because of the communication lag (or lack).
raygun likes this.
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
so whoo has the best service and best tune for a NA? I not real fond of fone dodgers or lack os service/comunication companys...
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Tuning an NA isn't going to get you much. Better throttle response maybe, but that seems to be about it.

If you want more power from an NA the best option is to trade the car for a GXP or RL.
sirwm and raygun like this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Garage
Dave has been a lot of help, but he isn't here to actually put his hands on the car. My guess is he could fix it if he was close by. Robotech has many hours in this along with my mechanic, which calls the Turbo kit absolute garbage. I did receive a refund for the tune directly from DDM at the National. But they did not want to.

Way over the credit card time frame. It actually was, before I even received the pile of crap turbo I think.

I have a new ECM and will get it reprogrammed in the next week or two. But my mechanic feels the turbo is leaking oil from the exhaust side. I have no idea what he is talking about, but will be pulling the turbo off next week. New fuel pump made no difference.
ChopTop likes this.
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:40 AM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
If you want more power from an NA the best option is to trade the car for a GXP or RL.
Or install a DDM Supercharger. I am very pleased with mine. An experienced friend and I were able to install it in two easy days. Its an automatic and with the original tune it was over revving to 7200 so we tuned the shift points to a more optimum 6400. My car now runs the 1/4 in a dead heat with a friend's GXP with GMPP, both timing at 14.2xx. Whoever jumps first wins. SC is faster in the first 1/8 and GXP is faster in the 2nd 1/8 and is pulling away at the 1/4; 100 mph vs 95 mph.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebot39 View Post
Or install a DDM Supercharger. I am very pleased with mine. An experienced friend and I were able to install it in two easy days. Its an automatic and with the original tune it was over revving to 7200 so we tuned the shift points to a more optimum 6400. My car now runs the 1/4 in a dead heat with a friend's GXP with GMPP, both timing at 14.2xx. Whoever jumps first wins. SC is faster in the first 1/8 and GXP is faster in the 2nd 1/8 and is pulling away at the 1/4; 100 mph vs 95 mph.
Very true and I did the same thing. The issue is that the SC kit (and your time) likely cost about the same as the bump to a GXP/RL, and if your friend had a Trifecta tune instead of the GMPP he would be faster. (Always assuming that the tune was installed successfully, but the same risk exists with the SC.) You also really don't have an easy path upward from where you are now.

I am not putting down the SC, remember that I installed one too, I actually prefer its driving characteristics to the turbo and my ultimate goal is three Skys: NA, SC, and RL. But realistically, the easiest path to the most power is the RL/GXP.
stevebot39 likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Garage
Supercharger makes a lot of sense on an NA assuming you wish to stop there. If you are likely to lust after even higher power levels, the GXP is the way to go.

I like the torque curve of the supercharger, but I love the turbo engines under boost and the lag is trivial unless you go to a turbo that is significantly higher output.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
But realistically, the easiest path to the most power is the RL/GXP.
Agreed. But there was another factor in my choice. I already owned a low mileage auto coupe and wanted to stay with that combo, so there was only a handful of cars in the world that met my needs.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:11 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
Ive built a few sc engines (V8 stuff) I love them, but they do suck up 1 fuel and 2, power. the the suck up of power under power dosent bother me it's the down the road cruise power sucker Im not fond of that eats gas.... I still havent decided witch way. I can do a cheep super or cheep turbo. or leave it alone and finish my 356 witch will be a lot faster.but it sure wood be nice if this was fast too....or at least not a slug. of coarse if I go SC I can go to the 3.42 gear in the back or 3.23 and get mpg back. now it's about 24 mpg same as the wifes 2005 honda brick with 2.4 and a lot more zip. I did get a cobalt header,Ill chop it up at some point to fit this car. they appear to have the tubes clocked rong.....go figure.I thought about just making a nice bend to go from the header to the cat, but with it clocked rong Ill make it right. they might be trying to make it sound like a subi.....you cant fix stupid
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
........and the lag is trivial unless you go to a turbo that is significantly higher output.
I thought so too, until I drove the 2.4 with the roots blower. The turbo lag is exceptionally small, but the SC actually seems to anticipate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebot39 View Post
Agreed. But there was another factor in my choice. I already owned a low mileage auto coupe and wanted to stay with that combo, so there was only a handful of cars in the world that met my needs.
A valid reason for sure.

John
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode