Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Trifecta tune-now car won't run

12K views 69 replies 15 participants last post by  jmlass 
#1 ·
I think I effed up big time. I purchased the custom tune from Trifecta ($413) and after about 20 attempts to download it I think my ECM is toast. Car won't even turn over. All I get are error msgs "service traction" and "service esc." I bought a new battery ($120) and still nothing. A guy on the Trifecta customer service msg board said it's impossible to fry your ECM...just unplug the battery, wait 10 mins and re-flash. Obviously, that doesn't work. I had the car towed to my mechanic ($75) and they said today there is nothing they can do but order a rebuilt ECM (~$400+labor). They suggested taking it to a GM dealer who won't touch an aftermarket tune. This is getting expensive. I don't think I want to attempt downloading the tune again. I am running out of cash and patience. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

John

#2 ·
I see "Service Traction" and "Service ESC" every time I flash my car. If they didn't go away, I'd guess that the tune was not completely written.

Can you try reprogramming it with your stock tune? (I have HP Tuners instead of the Trifecta gadget, so I'm not sure how that works.)

I seriously doubt that the ECM is physically damaged. When you try to reprogram, what happens? Does the software indicate that it successfully connects to the ECM, and then start downloading? Does it report any errors during the process? The stock firmware should have a bootloader for reprogramming that cannot be overwritten.

#6 · (Edited)
It just stays on the "program" icon forever...I have let it stay plugged in for over an hour and it never gets above 5% downloaded...meanwhile, the "service" msgs scroll across my info screen. Eventually it times out saying it cannot connect to vehicle. How long should it take to download? Do you have to be near WiFi?

#3 ·
First time I've heard of this in a decade of Trifecta tuning. Suspect that it might be something other than the tune causing an issue. Did you contact them after it failed to load a couple of times? Can't see 20 attempts to load accomplishing anything that didn't happen with the first several attempts, and wonder if it didn't cause the issue you are having.

You can probably pick up a good ECM from a wreck (don't need to pay for a 'rebuilt' one, which probably just means that they plugged it in and it worked). Install and try starting (it should have the stock tune on it).

Good luck - very frustrating - worth it if you get it working, though.

And you might post on www.cobaltss.net - those guys have a lot of experience with Trifecta tunes and can say whether they have ever seen this sort of thing before.

#4 ·
If you replace the ECM, you'll need to re-pair the keys (and probably have the VIN corrected).

#5 ·
I believe that the ECM has to be set to the proper VIN or the car will not run.

When I installed the SC I replaced the ECM with one programmed by DDM. They had their local dealer set it to my VIN before they shipped it to me and I didn't have to do anything.

#8 · (Edited)
What did Trifecta say when you called them, beyond rebooting the car?

A full program - writing the entire image - takes 10-15 minutes. Just writing calibration takes less than a minute.

It's possible that this is a bad cable, or that they sent you the wrong tune file. Either way, I'd start by trying to get your stock tune back on the car. If it can't write that, Trifecta is going to need to help you out. You gave them a bunch of cash - they should be willing to help troubleshoot this.

If I were in your position, I would stop buying things until you get a better idea of what the problem is.

Reactions: jmlass
#9 ·
This is an assumption on my part, first you download the software from Trifecta to your computer (laptop) on a good connection at your house.
Once the Trifecta software is downloaded to your computer (laptop) then you connect the Trifecta cable to the car OBDII port then to your computer (laptop) and start the software (Trifecta) that will upload the tune to your ECM.

#10 ·
Just CALL Trifecta or whomever you bought it from. This is their product. They’ll know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I can't find a customer service number for them. I have BEGGED them to call me. Nothing. Zero, zip, zilch. I am not out to disparage their customer service, but I am stating the honest truth. If they decide to make things right, I will let you know.

#11 ·
You should ALWAYS call Trifecta before having your car towed anywhere. A corner shop is not going to have the tools to fix your car. Only a dealership can help you. But, I'm 99.9% sure Trifecta can also help you. Just call/email them.

You MUST follow what Trifecta is trying to tell you, or else there's no hope to fix the issue. Get on the phone and have them talk you through it. It's not rocket science.

#15 · (Edited)
Try this one during business hours:

(832) 757-1255

(From https://www.bbb.org/us/wa/snohomish/profile/auto-repair/trifecta-performance-1296-22538324).

Although, that's a Houston area code, and Trifecta is in Washington state. :/

Might also try their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TRIFECTAPerformanceInc/). (Yeah, I know.)

I can't say for sure if that's they're real number. But, if they really try this hard to avoid having people call them...

This is their problem to solve. Sucks that it's this difficult to get someone to stand behind their product.

Finally, you might consider calling DDM Works. They have a ton of experience dealing with Trifecta - I believe they're also a reseller - and should be able to point you in the right direction. (I've always found them willing to help, even if it's not something related to their product.) Be nice and buy something while you're there. I recommend the short shifter. Guaranteed not to brick your car.

If you used a credit card for this, you might consider disputing the charge. Tell the card company that they shipped you a non-functioning item (specifically, the cable, as that's a reasonable assumption at this point). At the very least it'll get their attention and your money back. Which you could then take to DDM or PWerks and get a tune with actual support.

#17 ·
Well I had the base Trifecta Tune and the car ran perfectly, was an absolute amazing improvement over the stock system.

Then I had DDM build me a GT2871 Turbo set up, they required a Trifecta custom tune, which was installed. It nearly exploded my engine, and we, nor DDM could access the tune. Dave at PAW got into it some how and tuned the car to run. I have been battling this nightmare for over a year now. It has finally come down to replacing the ECM, which does require reprogramming to stock with your VIN number entered.

I will never install anything or buy anything from a company that will not communicate directly with me before buying or after purchase. I am well over 10K into this nightmare with no end in sight. I have little to no use for DDM or Trifecta. Neither of which have made any effort to correct or help with the problem.

#18 · (Edited)
Wow.

Just... wow.

If you can't get Trifecta to stand up and do the right thing - I've found a disturbing number of similar stories online - I'd suggest:

1. Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. They sent you a product that does not work and are not responding to your attempts to deal with them directly. I'm not a lawyer but I'm reasonably certain that there's some sort of fraud-ish thing involved here.
2. Call Dave Gilbert and get a new ECM. It'll be less than what the dealer is charging, and he might make a deal on a tune, as well. It might help if you tell him about your debacle. (He also responds to email faster than any other vendor I've ever dealt with.) Sounds like he might be able to work with your existing ECM as well.

Best of luck. Please update the thread with whatever the outcome is.

#20 ·
It seems that there aren’t enough of us to generate much attention from vendors, with notable exceptions being DDM, Werks, RPM and the other RPM. :/

I’d make some noise on their Facebook page if it allowed comments.

Still, it’s surprising that they won’t even offer to swap the cable out. Of course, that might require actually communicating with their customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
i had the trifecta budget tune but upgraded it last spring. both tunes installed and performed flawlessly, however communication from trifecta is somewhat lacking. i paid for the upgraded tune and 2 weeks later they hadn't posted it. i emailed them and the tune showed up in my account the next day. i never received a reply or explanation. that suits my current needs, but i don't think i would use them for a more sensitive tune, just because of the communication lag (or lack).

#25 ·
If you want more power from an NA the best option is to trade the car for a GXP or RL.
Or install a DDM Supercharger. I am very pleased with mine. An experienced friend and I were able to install it in two easy days. Its an automatic and with the original tune it was over revving to 7200 so we tuned the shift points to a more optimum 6400. My car now runs the 1/4 in a dead heat with a friend's GXP with GMPP, both timing at 14.2xx. Whoever jumps first wins. SC is faster in the first 1/8 and GXP is faster in the 2nd 1/8 and is pulling away at the 1/4; 100 mph vs 95 mph.

#24 ·
Dave has been a lot of help, but he isn't here to actually put his hands on the car. My guess is he could fix it if he was close by. Robotech has many hours in this along with my mechanic, which calls the Turbo kit absolute garbage. I did receive a refund for the tune directly from DDM at the National. But they did not want to.

Way over the credit card time frame. It actually was, before I even received the pile of crap turbo I think.

I have a new ECM and will get it reprogrammed in the next week or two. But my mechanic feels the turbo is leaking oil from the exhaust side. I have no idea what he is talking about, but will be pulling the turbo off next week. New fuel pump made no difference.

#27 ·
Supercharger makes a lot of sense on an NA assuming you wish to stop there. If you are likely to lust after even higher power levels, the GXP is the way to go.

I like the torque curve of the supercharger, but I love the turbo engines under boost and the lag is trivial unless you go to a turbo that is significantly higher output.

#30 ·
........and the lag is trivial unless you go to a turbo that is significantly higher output.
I thought so too, until I drove the 2.4 with the roots blower. The turbo lag is exceptionally small, but the SC actually seems to anticipate.
Agreed. But there was another factor in my choice. I already owned a low mileage auto coupe and wanted to stay with that combo, so there was only a handful of cars in the world that met my needs.
A valid reason for sure.

#29 ·
Ive built a few sc engines (V8 stuff) I love them, but they do suck up 1 fuel and 2, power. the the suck up of power under power dosent bother me it's the down the road cruise power sucker Im not fond of that eats gas.... I still havent decided witch way. I can do a cheep super or cheep turbo. or leave it alone and finish my 356 witch will be a lot faster.but it sure wood be nice if this was fast too....or at least not a slug. of coarse if I go SC I can go to the 3.42 gear in the back or 3.23 and get mpg back. now it's about 24 mpg same as the wifes 2005 honda brick with 2.4 and a lot more zip. I did get a cobalt header,Ill chop it up at some point to fit this car. they appear to have the tubes clocked rong.....go figure.I thought about just making a nice bend to go from the header to the cat, but with it clocked rong Ill make it right. they might be trying to make it sound like a subi.....you cant fix stupid

#31 ·
Update: car has now been towed to the GM dealer and they can't do anything but order a new ECM ($650 + labor). Is there anybody that can send me one that has an aftermarket tune like Trifecta pre-downloaded? Any used ECMs out there? Any phone numbers and/or email addresses of who to get in touch with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#42 ·
So I take it Trifecta couldn't help?????

#32 · (Edited)
#33 ·
I *may* have one that will work for you. Need year, auto vs manual - and, preferably, a picture of your current ECM. (Specifically, a part number and/or pictures of the part where the harness connects to it.)

#34 ·
PM hoosier GXP He has them. You can use them cleared and re VINed I guess. I have one for mine, but haven't had it done yet. The dealer will have to install the initial tune though.

You can't just stick some one else's in. Has to match the VIN in the BCM. Car will not run I have been told by Hoosier and my mechanic, plus numerous times on the board.

I have one I am taking out of my car, but also having it wiped clean as a back up. If the new ECM fixes my problems, the old one will be available I think. As long as I am certain it is fixed.

#36 ·
My spare won't work for you.

See the Performance Autowerks link above. They'll re-VIN the ECM for you for another $25. I'm guessing the dealer is going to charge you an hour labor to swap the ECM, which is ridiculous as you don't even have to use any tools to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.