Turbo problem - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rob the elder
  • 1 Post By LatinVenom
  • 1 Post By raygun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Turbo problem

The turbo on my GXP has lost PSIs. I used to get 21psi, now I can only get 5-6psi. Took it to an auto repair shop and they told me they would need to replace the entire turbo at a cost of about $2,000.00. My car is a 2008 but only has 30,000 miles on it. I'm not an extreme driver and seldom was the turbo induced. How could it be worn out? It is only driven six months of the year and is stored the other six months. Could this have caused a problem? Any suggestions or remedies? I'm not a mechanic so speak in layman's terms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Welcome
It sounds like your car is in "limp mode light"
When the ECM thinks there may be a problem but the car is drivable, it will limit boost to 6 pounds. You can use an OBD code reader, or get your local parts store to read it for you to see. Often clearing the code will fix the issue. If it comes back, find the error code using the reader and go from there
easyryderca likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Rob, I'm pretty sure the mechanic cleared the code and still no boost. I did have a warning light on the dash awhile back about traction control needing service or something to that effect. Could this have put me in "limp mode light"? So you're contending it is a ECM issue, not a turbo issue. Am I understanding you correctly?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:24 PM

Do you have a CEL (engine light on dash)? Do you have a device that can pull a CEL code? If you do, and the CEL light isn't on, check to see if there are any pending codes...this will do the same thing as a CEL will do...

Do you have a tune in the car? Look at the sensor in the driver's side intercooler pipe. Is there 1 or 2 screws holding it in?

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Sorry Ghost, I'm not a mechanic and what you're advising is all Greek to me. I did have a warning light on the dash that said "traction control needed service". The local service guy read that code on his "reader" and cleared the code. I do have the GM upgrade on the computer to increase turbo boost but it never was much of an increase boost, 1-2 psi at most. I have never heard any kind of noise coming from the turbo such as grinding or scraping like one would expect from worn bushings in turbo. Could my computer be limiting turbo boost due to the traction control issue? I'll probably take the car to the GM dealer I bought it from to as the same questions. I just don't feel the turbo should be worn out, of course everything mechanical can fail especially if it had a suspect part to start with.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Founding Member

Someone did not do a good job when installing the GMPP upgrade, have the dealer check the connections at the map sensors.
They should also look at the traction control issue.
easyryderca likes this.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:49 AM

regarding the gmpp upgrade, read this thread -> https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...dering-133402/

it has lots of pictures to help...

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:14 AM

loss of boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklug View Post
The turbo on my GXP has lost PSIs. I used to get 21psi, now I can only get 5-6psi. Took it to an auto repair shop and they told me they would need to replace the entire turbo at a cost of about $2,000.00. My car is a 2008 but only has 30,000 miles on it. I'm not an extreme driver and seldom was the turbo induced. How could it be worn out? It is only driven six months of the year and is stored the other six months. Could this have caused a problem? Any suggestions or remedies? I'm not a mechanic so speak in layman's terms.
I doubt that the turbo needs replacing as already stated by others. I suggest that you give a call to DDM Works and speak with Dave. He's a great guy to give advice and may be able to help you out. They specialize in the Solstices. He definitely has helped me from time to time. I also have a few posts on the forum that may be of help. Don't be afraid to get your hands a little dirty - try to get better acquainted with your car. Don't get ripped off by some 'mechanic' trying to make a lot of money off of you.

Good luck.

grandpop07
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
A busted intercooler will also cause these sorts of symptoms.
sirwm likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode