Turbo Rattle at Startup - Replace? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Turbo Rattle at Startup - Replace?

Hello All. I would appreciate any help and all input on a problem that recently started on my 09 GXP. I've noticed a rattling noise coming from my turbo at first start up after the car has sat overnight. I've read a few threads on ours and the Skys' forum that lead me to believe it's coming from the turbo's bushings telling me they are about to fail. The noise lasts for about 30 seconds then goes away supposedly due to oil pressure being forced into the bushings taking up the play. Would I be correct in this diagnosis? Is so, can the turbine be rebuilt/replaced or should I just replace the entire turbo? In either case will the ECM, etc have to be reprogrammed? The car has just over 28K miles on it, Has a GMPP tune and runs a DDMWerks Cold Air Induction system. I'm happy with the current HP, etc so not looking for an upgrade to the turbo if I have to replace. Any thoughts, input or guidance? Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:01 PM

Talking completely out my A** here, but I would've thought that is the bearings were worn enough to rattle, you would get the dreaded dentist's drill sound of the blades scraping. A rattle sounds more like a bracket or similar.

Take that opinion for what it's worth, though.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

It's been my experience from working on motorcycles that a grinding sound has been typical of ball and roller bearing failure. I'm not sure of the type of bearings installed in the turbo but I have been lead to believe they are of the sleeve type. Again, I'm not sure.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:44 PM

Unless the thing was completely neglected or abused, I'd be hard pressed to think your turbo is going out at 28k miles.

Maybe a heat shield?

The cat converter on my N/A would do that when cold. A metallic "ring" inside of it would rattle around until it swelled enough from heat to keep from moving. The cat was failing at the time.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Does it sound like a rock tumbler? I'm thinking its your CAI. I have the same issue at start. Let me see if I can get a vid and post it.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, I checked the heat shroud and can confirm the noise is not coming from there. I also checked and tightened all the brackets I could find on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Everything seemed tight, (Thank you chickenwire and TS). It does seem to come from the front part of the turbo charger, the cold air intake side. I would think that if the turbo was failing the sound would be there all the time and not fade and disappear after about 30 seconds, fading as the engine rpm drops to normal idle from a cold start. It doesn't seem to return until the engine has sat and cooled for awhile, usually overnight. If I could figure out how to post a video with sound I would do so.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:03 PM

I'm pretty sure its your CAI. Trust me. To post a video, upload it to youtube, then post the link here, removing the "s" from the https://

Basically its the turbulence you have in the CAI...mine does exactly what you're talking about and it's done it for 7 years....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:10 AM

I had my turbo rebuilt at a local shop. There are a lot of turbo repair shops now that turbos have become so popular. However, my rebuild was at 180,000 miles so I would look for another source of the rattle first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode