Werks Transmission Tune - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Werks Transmission Tune

Dave just sent the new tune for the GXP charity car and it is really great! Shifts are much cleaner and firmer without all the "wandering" I experienced before (I believe the stock tranny feels worse after a performance tune, BTW).

I highly recommend it for auto GXP's out there -- he can adjust many levels of firmness and shift points. Dave knows what I like, and he seems to have nailed it.

He also gave it free of charge (as well as the intercooler).

Only two small bits remain - Wildwood front brakes and the turn signal not resetting (which will be a warranty dealer fix since they did it once before).

Looks like the car is going onto a local dealer lot, on the showroom floor of a dealer who is a big hospital supporter (Mike Yates GMC/Buick - formerly Pontiac).

Stay tuned and thanks again, Dave and Werks.
S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 AM

How do you install the tune?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to werks
Glad you like the TCM tune Sbindley!

Showtime - The tune is easy to install if you have HPtuners or access to an HPtuner device. Additionally you can send us the TCM out of your car, we program it and ship it back to you.

Last edited by werks; 11-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to gwhunter12
Ditto?
I'd like the shift points changed on mine as well !
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to gwhunter12
GMPP tuned only. So I take it this option is out of the question ?
My coupe pulls the CARB ball and chain !
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhunter12 View Post
GMPP tuned only. So I take it this option is out of the question ?
My coupe pulls the CARB ball and chain !
You would need to either purchase an HPtuners suite here - HPtuners interface or you can ship us your TCM and we can program it on our bench and send it back to you.

More info on the TCM programming is found here - WERKSracing TCM Tuning
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 03:42 PM

I have this tune for the auto. Dave tweaked it and I run consistent 13.2's
Eliminated torque reduction and increased pressure.

Before tune, 13.5 to 9, same track, same night.

Recommend it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Me too

I don't like the way my transmission works too. Just bought it, a 2007 base. No interest in a hot rod. The car will be a daily driver. I just want it to shift better and not wander.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
I don't like the way my transmission works too. Just bought it, a 2007 base. No interest in a hot rod. The car will be a daily driver. I just want it to shift better and not wander.
Give this TCM tune a try, you will not be disappointed...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 AM

Are there downsides to an auto transmission tune? Wouldn't faster, firmer, or harder shifts cause more wear & tear on OEM gears, possible leading to auto failures?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM

Garage
I think it could be looked at both ways ChopTop. My concern is doing away with something called Torque management in the transmission. What affect would that have. I am not a mechanic at any level.

If it improves the transmission only for a racing mode, most likely not interested, but if it stops the occasional hard down shift when descending down a steep grade I can see the advantage to that. I drive mine on very steep, curvy mountain roads, with climbs of 4K in less than 15 miles and on 74 descents from 6K to below sea level in 25 miles. That is where my auto does the strange things occasionally.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Are there downsides to an auto transmission tune? Wouldn't faster, firmer, or harder shifts cause more wear & tear on OEM gears, possible leading to auto failures?
There certainly could be a degradation in longevity of the auto transmission with the addition of a TCM or even an ECM tune. Anytime you modify the drivetrain there are reductions in long term sustainability of the components. With that said we have done 50+ TCM tunes and have not had any issues. We recommend more frequent transmission fluid changes when modifying the kappa drivetrain, not just with a TCM tune but also with any ECM tune that cranks the boost up a lot more versus stock...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM
EDT

While I can't comment on the tune as my car is a manual, I have to warn anyone looking at shipping their TCM to werks that the address listed on their website page for it is incorrect. This was quickly sorted out after I found out my package was unable to be delivered, however I will still end up wasting a week and the cost of shipping. Hopefully they correct this soon as it is incorrect on all the tunes on their website I have seen.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDT View Post
While I can't comment on the tune as my car is a manual, I have to warn anyone looking at shipping their TCM to werks that the address listed on their website page for it is incorrect. This was quickly sorted out after I found out my package was unable to be delivered, however I will still end up wasting a week and the cost of shipping. Hopefully they correct this soon as it is incorrect on all the tunes on their website I have seen.
I apologize,

If you can send me a copy of the shipping sales receipt I will offer you that amount in store credit towards your next purchase.

I just changed the address to our new address on the TCM page, sorry again for the confusion!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 PM

Let me add, my shifts very normal (soft), unless I plant my right foot and hold it down. If I do, it chirps the tires and completes a very clean solid shift. This and lowering the rpm shift point kept the stock motor in the powerband. 13.2 in Florida's humility is pretty good for a stock car and an amateur driver...

Remember, the shift pressure and time are tied to throttle position, so it is only adding pressure and reducing expected shift times when you need it.

I have had zero issues and believe I was the second tune, Dave correct me if wrong...

Last edited by thende; 01-04-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode