Fidanza Flywheel - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Fidanza Flywheel

Fidanza Flywheels are shipping today. All pre-orders will be processed and shipped ASAP.

Thank you all for your patience!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravana1
Fidanza Flywheels are shipping today. All pre-orders will be processed and shipped ASAP.

Thank you all for your patience!

Jim

Hi, can you tell me a little bit about the performance gains?

Is it meant to improve torque, or improve high-rpm performance?

Do you lose any low-end torque with it?

Thanks!

Todd,
People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles
@ http://www.PETACar.ORG
-------------------------------------------
2006 Pontiac Solstice (#1267)
- GM Cold Air Intake
- Clear Image Hi-Flow Cat
- Clear Image Shorty Header

2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1981 EZ-GO XI875A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter (1800cc)
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 455
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 11:40 AM

well you aren't really "gaining" any HP, but your engine is not working as hard to get the HP to the wheels.

with the lightened flywheel the engine will rev and and come down much faster.

there is some debate as to the benefits of a lightend flywheel, but i always thought is was a cool idea, although i have no first hand experience with one.

someone with more experience can probably explain much more than i.

Joe
Previous modded F1K Pure #795 owner
Traded in for Blue '06 GTO July 1 361RWHP/359TQ 1/8 MI:8.56
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSOL
well you aren't really "gaining" any HP, but your engine is not working as hard to get the HP to the wheels.

with the lightened flywheel the engine will rev and and come down much faster.

there is some debate as to the benefits of a lightend flywheel, but i always thought is was a cool idea, although i have no first hand experience with one.

someone with more experience can probably explain much more than i.
Are you sure it's lightened? That was what I was getting at. Typically, you buy a flywheel to match your performance goals. For example, in the Olds 455 Big Block that I have in my 81 TransAm, you would not want a lightened flywheel. The heavier the flywheel, the more torque the motor produces. The lighter the flywheel, the more top-end horsepower you can get.

The flywheel WILL actually give or take horsepower based on specific RPMs. On weighed flywheels, you can actually increase or decrese torque / power at specific rpms by moving it further down the radius. Not really an option on neutrally balanced flywheels, but by changing the weight of the flywheel you can improve top-end, or improve low-end.

I was just curious specifically where the gained power would be seen (or lost).

Todd,
- GM Cold Air Intake

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 PM

I definitely think we need a little more info here about this flywheel.

So much for "selling the product".....

- bspate -

VIN# 2328 - SLY w/ Ebony Cloth
Power | Convenience | Polished | LSD | ABS | A/C | 6-Disc w/ MP3 | Monsoon | XM
Kappasphere CAI | Kappashield | Lil' Chromies | 6" Stubby | Painted Calipers w/ Decals | Nokya Arctic White Headlights

Took Her Home - 11/30/05
Pictures of My Sly Sol
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspate
I definitely think we need a little more info here about this flywheel.

So much for "selling the product".....

- bspate -
Here is the link to the product:
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica..._NOW_SHIPPING_

Pure, Ebony, PWR, CNV.PKG, CD-MP3, XM, #4769 10/DEC/05
Mods: Calipers*Shaved*Caps*Chromies*Rear Fascia*GM-CAI*Eibach Sportline*Borla Exhaust*Headers*RazziWing*Lthr Visors*Eng Cover
Future: ProBeam, Homemade Backbone, GXP Swaybars, DDM Stage 2
1984 Blk Porsche 928S 196k
my PURE Pics upDated 28/Aug/06
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Fidanza Billet Flywheel - NOW SHIPPING!!!

A Fidanza flywheel can mate with any type of clutch material, including organic, kevlar, ceramic, metallic and sintered iron. They attach the friction surface with military grade aerospace fasteners. The ring gears are made from 1050 steel and are heat treated for durability. The gears are heated then pressed on and secured with grade 8 button screws. Fidanza was the first to use a stepped dowel system in most of their flywheel applications. This doweling method ensures that once the pressure plate is installed the dowels cannot be removed because they become locked into place. No chromemoly can compete with the awesome serviceability, strength and superior design of Fidanza's aluminum flywheels. If there was a better material out there, Fidanza would be using it.

Notes :
This product normally ships in 2-3 business days. Estimated weight is 9.5-lbs. Fits Manual Transmission only!
I wouldn't be suprised if the stock flywheel weighed anywheres from 16lbs - 23lbs.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Are you sure it's lightened? That was what I was getting at. Typically, you buy a flywheel to match your performance goals. For example, in the Olds 455 Big Block that I have in my 81 TransAm, you would not want a lightened flywheel. The heavier the flywheel, the more torque the motor produces. The lighter the flywheel, the more top-end horsepower you can get.

The flywheel WILL actually give or take horsepower based on specific RPMs. On weighed flywheels, you can actually increase or decrese torque / power at specific rpms by moving it further down the radius. Not really an option on neutrally balanced flywheels, but by changing the weight of the flywheel you can improve top-end, or improve low-end.

I was just curious specifically where the gained power would be seen (or lost).
i didn't mean to say that you won't be able to see a measurable difference in HP on a dyno at the wheels. just meant that if you were strictly looking at engine HP, there would be no difference, i guess.

now that i'm thinking about this, trying not to sound too ignorant, when they measure HP "at the flywheel" this is with the flywheel attatached, correct? if so, then yes you will see a gain in HP "at the flywheel" with a lightend flywheel (and correspondingly "at the wheels").

i think i'm done with this subject...i'm in over my head!!!

who's gonna shell out $400 and get a dyno...

Joe
Previous modded F1K Pure #795 owner
Traded in for Blue '06 GTO July 1 361RWHP/359TQ 1/8 MI:8.56
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:33 PM

I've been doing some major research on this and from what I've read, 1st and 2nd gears will show a substancial improvement. In one of the articles I read where the stock flywheel was 25lbs with a 2.5L engine, in first gear it was equivalent to having 225lbs less in the car, nearly 80lbs in 2nd gear. It all depends on the gear ratios of course, but during a launch there should be noticeable improvement.

VIN #3247
Mysterious/2 Tone Leather Decked (everything but AC/OnStar/XM/Smokers Pkg)

Mods: Eibach Lowering Springs, Tinted Windows, Kappasphere CAI and Exhaust

Future Mods (in the order I plan to do them): Flywheel & clutch, Dyno/Tune, Turbocharger
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I've been doing some major research on this and from what I've read, 1st and 2nd gears will show a substancial improvement. In one of the articles I read where the stock flywheel was 25lbs with a 2.5L engine, in first gear it was equivalent to having 225lbs less in the car, nearly 80lbs in 2nd gear. It all depends on the gear ratios of course, but during a launch there should be noticeable improvement.
Well, remember, the heavier the flywheel, the more low-end torque it helps produce. The lighter the flywheel, the quicker the motor builds it's RPMs.

So off the line, you'll feel less pull... it'll feel weaker until it gets to around 3,000 rpms and then you'll start to see an improvement.

If you were going to drive your car on the highway ALL the time, racing around at high rpms, a lightened flywheel would be an excellent modification. Or, even if you were going to participate in something like the Petite LeMans or something... but, if your going to use it in stop and go traffic, stop light to stop light, you may want to consider keeping your stock flywheel.

These car manufactures don't just build a massively heavy flywheel cause they're stupid and they don't know any better... they build the flywheel in such a way as to give a good median between low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. If all you want to do is just improve the "overall" power of your car, save your money and spend it on something else.

If you plan to rally or road-race your Solstice... then get this flywheel.

If anyone doesn't understand this concept, consider that the flywheel is a link between the motor and transmission. When you get that heavy flywheel moving, it acts like a spinning weight (balanced). The road is friction, and is constantly trying to slow you down, the heavier the flywheel, the more force it helps put against the resistance that is the road. It improves low-end torque until you begin to build rpms and then it becomes a hinderance.

Keep in mind, you MAY improve the quarter mile time by going with a lighter fly-wheel. But... when you're driving your car around in normal stop and go traffic, you'll have to practically floor it to get the car to accelerate as smoothly as say a GM sedan with the naturally aspirated 3800 motor.

Just FYI... keep that in mind if you're considering it.

Todd,
- GM Cold Air Intake

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:23 PM

I had a light flywheel on my old Sentra SE-R. The car definitely rev'd faster and felt more responsive off the line. There wasn't any more hp/torque on the dyno though.

2007 Cool GXP with Darkside Top, 5 spd, Ebony Cloth, Monsoon with Single CD, Sport Pedals, XM, A/C
Mods:Trifecta Budget Tune, Solo Performance Street/Race Exhaust, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Tires, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mena661
I had a light flywheel on my old Sentra SE-R. The car definitely rev'd faster and felt more responsive off the line.
This car would benifit from exactly that.

I think this is a good buy.

Deep, Black Leather, Polished Rims, Upgraded Stereo
VIN# 100847
Delivered 10/19/2005
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:31 PM

I'm not an automotive engineer, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Well, remember, the heavier the flywheel, the more low-end torque it helps produce.
But, I don't think so. Here's a reasonable quote from one of the many vendors selling lightened flywheels:

Quote:
How does a lightweight flywheel add horsepower?

Adding a lightweight flywheel does not add any hp to the engine (it canít, as any engine in any given state will produce a given hp based on the temperature and the air density).

What adding a light flywheel does to your drivetrain is to lighten the overall reciprocating mass attached to the end of the engineís crank, thus allowing the engine to rev faster thus accelerate faster.
I think that is the real story.

And I think Adrenaline had it right.

"I consider myself a spiritual seeker, an incomplete and moribund being on a lifelong quest for wholeness and transcendence. I believe in an Intelligent Universe, the evolution of Knowledge, and the immortality of the human soul. And I believe that I must own a Solstice GXP. A yellow one. Or maybe red."

Last edited by js_euler; 01-26-2006 at 09:33 PM.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:39 PM

OK, so it doesn't add hp or tourque, but wouldn't it shift peak hp and torque on a dyno - or am I just a bean bag troll

All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.-- Samuel Butler

You can find me at the lake -- RODEOSOLSTICE @ YAHOO.COM
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:45 PM

It's just like Adrenaline said

It's like reducing the weight of the car in a very leveraged way (pun intended). So your power/weight goes positive, even though your hp and torque remain unchanged. Same effect as a lightened driveshaft, saving that rotating weight (mass).

"I consider myself a spiritual seeker, an incomplete and moribund being on a lifelong quest for wholeness and transcendence. I believe in an Intelligent Universe, the evolution of Knowledge, and the immortality of the human soul. And I believe that I must own a Solstice GXP. A yellow one. Or maybe red."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode