Fidanza Flywheel - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Member
 
js_euler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 64
I'll take the wheels

Per the preceding discussion, I think the lightened flywheel has fairly serious "driveability" drawbacks - I like smooth and easy. And I think you get a bit of a double bonus w/ the lighter wheels - less unsprung weight and less rotational mass. Just one dork's opinion.

"I consider myself a spiritual seeker, an incomplete and moribund being on a lifelong quest for wholeness and transcendence. I believe in an Intelligent Universe, the evolution of Knowledge, and the immortality of the human soul. And I believe that I must own a Solstice GXP. A yellow one. Or maybe red."
js_euler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Founding Member
 
LBJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
Obviously both these mods can be done, but let's say a guy only wants to spend enough money to do one of these mods. Which one would you do?
Personally I would always do wheels first. But true lightweight 18" wheels are anything but inexpensive.

But hey what do I know...I'm just a Miata guy, who is used to only paying $100-129 ea for 12-13lb wheels....

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe. -- Frank Zappa

LBJay is offline  
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Founding Member
 
LBJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil
Having throttle by wire with ECU controls on it could this possibly help the stalling issues with a lighter clutch? Say if the ECU is designed to keep the RPM's from dropping to low to quickly when between gear shifts?
Don't think it would do much for standing starts, but would probably help with shifting. But then again it probably negates part of the reason for the lighter flywheel.

It will be interesting to see what wins that battle. The lighter flywheel or the TBW system.

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe. -- Frank Zappa

LBJay is offline  
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Yuba City, California -- The Little Cowpie!
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJay
Personally I would always do wheels first. But true lightweight 18" wheels are anything but inexpensive.
The BBS wheels I refered to are $2,500 the set. That is serious money. But cheaper than Fikse's.

That's just cash outlay. If I ever trade in the car, I can put the stock wheels back on and still sell the BBS's on ebay for $2,000.

2008 Solstice GXP Roadster
I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
DDMWorks extreme backbone
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

You don't need a trunk to haul ass...

Official car of SCCA Touring 2 Champion Don Knowles.
jimbo is offline  
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Yuba City, California -- The Little Cowpie!
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJay
But hey what do I know...I'm just a Miata guy, who is used to only paying $100-129 ea for 12-13lb wheels....
Wow... those are light! Good job!

What do the stock wheels weigh on the MX-5?

2008 Solstice GXP Roadster
I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
DDMWorks extreme backbone
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

You don't need a trunk to haul ass...

Official car of SCCA Touring 2 Champion Don Knowles.
jimbo is offline  
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Founding Member
 
faultline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mojave Desert in CA
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
The BBS wheels I refered to are $2,500 the set. That is serious money. But cheaper than Fikse's.

That's just cash outlay. If I ever trade in the car, I can put the stock wheels back on and still sell the BBS's on ebay for $2,000.
I currently have centerline forged wheel on my car, 17's, and they weigh 13#'s. I just checked the site , and there are some 5x110's , 17's for $159 each. It does not say the weight, but being forged, they will be light. That is a great price for forged wheels.
faultline is offline  
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 06:12 AM
Member
 
82-T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
OK. So if you had to choose between only making one of the following 2 mods, which would you choose and why?

1. Lightweight flywheel (stock, 23lbs - lightweight 9.5lbs) = -11.5 lbs rotational weight

vs.

2. Lightweight wheels (stock, 23.6 lbs - BBS RGR, 10 lb) x 4 each = -54.4 lbs unsprung weight

Obviously both these mods can be done, but let's say a guy only wants to spend enough money to do one of these mods. Which one would you do?

The big difference is that with the flywheel, you have to separate the engine and transmission. So unless you are going to do it yourself, you need to factor in the labor costs as well.

Todd,
People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles
@ http://www.PETACar.ORG
-------------------------------------------
2006 Pontiac Solstice (#1267)
- GM Cold Air Intake
- Clear Image Hi-Flow Cat
- Clear Image Shorty Header


2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1981 EZ-GO XI875A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter (1800cc)
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 455
82-T/A is offline  
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Founding Member
 
LBJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
What do the stock wheels weigh on the MX-5?
Stock on the 06 MX-5 (17x7) are 17 lbs.

A few have switched over to 93-95 RX-7 wheels (16x8) which are in the 14 lbs range. Some the Enkei RP-F1 17x7.5 at 15 lbs and the Kosei K1-TS 17x7 at 13.8 lbs.

Me, I have an NB with Kosei R1 15x7s. Not the lightest at 13 lbs each (about the same as my 15x6 OEM wheels) but I was able to get the 4 wheels with Kumho MXs mounted and delivered to my door for under $900.

I'm ordering a set of Toyo T1Rs ($60 ea) for this summer. That will drop the weight 3 lbs per corner from the MXs.

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe. -- Frank Zappa

LBJay is offline  
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Yuba City, California -- The Little Cowpie!
Posts: 5,600
Very nice, LBJay.

2008 Solstice GXP Roadster
I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
DDMWorks extreme backbone
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

You don't need a trunk to haul ass...

Official car of SCCA Touring 2 Champion Don Knowles.
jimbo is offline  
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Just visiting. It is curious as to the idea of what a flywheel will and will not provide. I offer this information for those who may wish to understand the effects in greater detail.

From my own experience. The average driver will not like a lightened flywheel. You get a small but noticeable performance gain in lower gears at the expense of smooth ideal and possibly increased transmission gear lash or chatter. The clutch can also chatter during slow launch engagement. The engine is much easier to stall at launch. You get a snappier sounding engine. You know, rap, rap, rap, as the RPM quickly goes up and down much more quickly. Fast shifting can be easier and I find heel and tow shifting to be much easier.

This link will explain the effects, as well as provide mathematical calcs for those needing engineering proof. http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm
The site is for the BMW engine, but the principals are the same.
PbFut is offline  
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Member
 
Little Red #531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maui in winter / Montana in the summer
Posts: 543
Argument end point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut
Just visiting. It is curious as to the idea of what a flywheel will and will not provide. I offer this information for those who may wish to understand the effects in greater detail.

From my own experience. The average driver will not like a lightened flywheel. You get a small but noticeable performance gain in lower gears at the expense of smooth ideal and possibly increased transmission gear lash or chatter. The clutch can also chatter during slow launch engagement. The engine is much easier to stall at launch. You get a snappier sounding engine. You know, rap, rap, rap, as the RPM quickly goes up and down much more quickly. Fast shifting can be easier and I find heel and tow shifting to be much easier.

This link will explain the effects, as well as provide mathematical calcs for those needing engineering proof. http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm
The site is for the BMW engine, but the principals are the same.
Positive proof why every high performance car from smallest class (H Modified) to largest (unlimited) run light flywheels on all tracks where you find a corner, and of course the drags. I believe dry lakes and Bonnaville would be the exceptions.
So, it looks like this one can be put to bed.
If you can remember to give it a little throtle when you take off, go with the light one. I wouldn't pull the engine just for this though. However, if I was going to pull it for any reason I would install the flywheel and clutch package. Just like we did in the good old Hot Rod days. Ah, -- that was before most of you were born.

VIN#531 AGGRESSIVE / Ebony. Everything except XM and onstar, no need on Maui. No Heated seats either, whatever they are.
Norm's fenders and "SOLSTICE" dual exhaust valence.
DDM stage II with DDM long tube header, high flow cat and Magna-flow cat-back.
-------------------------------------------------
"An armed populace is a polite populace".
Mark Twain.
Little Red #531 is offline  
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Member
 
mabrylm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vacaville, California
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red #531
Positive proof why every high performance car from smallest class (H Modified) to largest (unlimited) run light flywheels on all tracks where you find a corner, and of course the drags. I believe dry lakes and Bonnaville would be the exceptions.
So, it looks like this one can be put to bed.
If you can remember to give it a little throtle when you take off, go with the light one. I wouldn't pull the engine just for this though. However, if I was going to pull it for any reason I would install the flywheel and clutch package. Just like we did in the good old Hot Rod days. Ah, -- that was before most of you were born.
Hmmm... clutch package. Do tell. I haven't heard anyone bringing up the clutch. What exactly would a new clutch package do? Where do you find one? How much? Installation?

VIN# 8902 Arrived 9 Feb 06
Deep, loaded. No smokers/XM/Onstar


Need info on an accessory or modification? Look no further!
Click here:
Mod Picture Index
mabrylm is offline  
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Member
 
mena661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rosamond, CA - Home of Willow Springs Raceway
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrylm
Hmmm... clutch package.
You basically replace your OEM clutch (clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing) with an aftermarket one. Some packages include a lightweight flywheel. You would do this when you've exceeded (or are going to exceed) the clamping force of the stock clutch.

2007 Cool GXP with Darkside Top, 5 spd, Ebony Cloth, Monsoon with Single CD, Sport Pedals, XM, A/C
Mods:Trifecta Budget Tune, Solo Performance Street/Race Exhaust, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Tires, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads
mena661 is offline  
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator
 
brentil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,901
Garage
Yeah, light weight 18x8 wheels in our bolt pattern are going to easily run $2000+ for four wheels. We haven't even started talking about tires ye to put on them.









2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
brentil is offline  
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Member
 
uncivilracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 803
Send a message via AIM to uncivilracer
Just think of it like an underdrive pulley. It isnt gonna give u actual horsepower, but it will help free up horsepower from other mods. On these cars it is well worth it. I have done it on everyone of my cars.

Now as stated above, they want a stock one on a completely different HEAVY car.

2006 Pontiac Solstice
uncivilracer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome