Solstice Hardtop by EDAG - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Hi folks,
Thanks for all of the kind comments. This has been a fun project to work on. The Sky roof is in the development stages at the moment and we will have more info coming on that in the months to come.

Cheers,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hi folks,
Thanks for all of the kind comments. This has been a fun project to work on. The Sky roof is in the development stages at the moment and we will have more info coming on that in the months to come.

Cheers,
Matt
I do like the top, I'm sure it will sell. Are there any interior pictures available?

#4796: Mysterious, Power, Convenience, LSD, Polished Aluminium.
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:31 AM

I'll take one, and i'll take the coupe type top also when it comes out. Should be cool to switch off between all 3, no top, coupe and station wagon. Will you offer a hoist also?
Great work and thanks for supporting the solstice community!

Fast & Furious 4 solstice:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2661209

Solstice parted out and I'm off the forum. Pm me if you need something.

Last edited by madmods; 10-27-2006 at 07:59 AM.
post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
I'll take one, and i'll take the coupe type top also when it comes out. Should be cool to switch off between all 3, no top, coupe and station wagon. Will you offer a hoist also?
Great work and thanks for supporting the solstice community!
Nissan Pulsar NX, but was never a complete top down, just different rear configs.

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 AM

Great!!!!!

Every time I look at this I like it even more .

I am very close to getting in line,
but will continue to look in for a while longer .

NOT TO LONG though .

She goes by "BABYBAT" ""Funs Da' Name 'O' Her Game""
She B Sand/Steel, in a Mysterious Wrapper.
She BREATHS FREE from her NOSE to her TWIN TAIL.
66732 miles 'O' FUN on Da' "FUN'O'METER" (1\24\08)
*26th Annual Tulip Ralley<>ORYGUN Run 04.28.07<>Reno/Carson Run 05.19.07<>WCKCC Tahoe Meet 06.09/10.07<>2nd Annual Columbia Gorge Run 06.23.07<>Twisted Vine Run 09.22.07<> Last Chance Run 10/27/07<>ESREVER NI NUR ECNAHC TSAL 70.40.11<>
post #21 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 AM

XM/Onstar

Matt-

A question about those that have the antenna on the rear shell.
What if anything is being done so that we can still use these services?
Jumper harness to be supplied?

I visit here less and less nowadays. Leave a PM if you want but it may be days before I return to it.
post #22 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 12:39 PM

How dare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hi folks! My name is Matt Remenar and I am the program manager for the Solstice hardtop at EDAG. We are pleased to announce release of the EDAG Sportwagon hardtop at the SEMA show next week. We have shown our original show car at the 2006 NAIAS (Detroit auto show) and the 2006 Geneva Auto show in Switzerland. The vehicle at the SEMA show will be much closer to production intent as far as the design of the inner structure is concerned. I have attached a pdf of our brochure that contains more info about the hardtop.

I'll cover some of the general details below.

The hardtop is engineered and designed to an automotive OEM level.

The outer shell and inner structure are constructed using a process named RTM (Resin Transfer Molding). The end result is a fiberglass mat reinforced resin part that is molded with a dark grey sandable primer gel coat. Since this is an injection molding process, the surface quality on both sides of the part is very good, especially compared to a traditional open mold fiberglass layup. The resulting part is very strong and dimensionally stable.

The glass is OEM automotive quality real glass.

The headliner is constructed using OEM quality automotive materials.

We use automotive grade (coated for rust resistance) fasteners and bonded in steel reinforcements at all attaching points.

The hardtop should weigh approx. 115 lbs ( the decklid as removed weighs about 42 lbs)

The production deck lid is removed and the soft top can be stowed in the vehicle or removed completely. By removing the soft top completely, the storage is greatly increased, but the removal is a bit technically challenging and probably best left to a professional. The old jokes that getting it out isn't too tough, but the correct installation is the fun part.

We will start production in January 2007.

The price is $2499 plus taxes and shipping from Detroit, Michigan.

We will soon be taking orders at www.edag-us.com At this time, people will be able to fill out a form with their contact info so that we may provide more info as the start of production nears.

I am sure that there will be a number of detail items that are not completely covered above or in the attached pdf. Please feel free to reply to this thread with any questions and I will reply as quickly as I can.

A quick word about EDAG. We are a global transportation engineering company with offices in over 15 countries around the world. We specialize in provide engineering services to primarily the automotive and aerospace industries, but are active in all facets of transportation engineering.

This is an early annoucement for the members and visitors to the Solstice forum. When visiting www.edag-us.com (the website for our US office) it currently links to the site of our parent company in Germany (www.edag.com). Our US specific website featuring the Solstice hardtop and soon to come Sky hardtop should be up and running on October 31st.

If you are attending SEMA, please feel free to stop by booth 51267 (near Overhaulin') and say hi and take a closer look at our Solstice.

Thanks!
Matt
EDAG

Matt

The Solstice is one of the best looking modern sportscar, so why spoil it? Either you like a sportscar (and accept the disadvantage of the little or not existing trunk) or if you need a "spacecar" then there are much better options.

SwissSol
post #23 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:58 PM

Choices!! Choices!! More Choices!! Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissSol View Post
Matt

The Solstice is one of the best looking modern sportscar, so why spoil it? Either you like a sportscar (and accept the disadvantage of the little or not existing trunk) or if you need a "spacecar" then there are much better options.

SwissSol
EDAG
Keep moving!!! Keep moving!!!

IGNOR the one behind the curtian.

They are already OK with what they have.

Many more of us want the option of MORE.

She goes by "BABYBAT" ""Funs Da' Name 'O' Her Game""
She B Sand/Steel, in a Mysterious Wrapper.
She BREATHS FREE from her NOSE to her TWIN TAIL.
66732 miles 'O' FUN on Da' "FUN'O'METER" (1\24\08)
*26th Annual Tulip Ralley<>ORYGUN Run 04.28.07<>Reno/Carson Run 05.19.07<>WCKCC Tahoe Meet 06.09/10.07<>2nd Annual Columbia Gorge Run 06.23.07<>Twisted Vine Run 09.22.07<> Last Chance Run 10/27/07<>ESREVER NI NUR ECNAHC TSAL 70.40.11<>
post #24 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 03:21 PM

I don't like the bubble back window. I would love a hardtop but I don't want my car to look like a mini station wagon.
I want a hardtop that resembles the convertible top.

Mysterious: Everything except onstar and xm
"Il mio bambino bello"
"Ti amo, Ti amo,Ti amo,Ti amo,Ti amo,Ti amo..."
post #25 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM

I like it. If I had one of these I'd put it on for the Ohio winter and take it off in the spring. I love the looks of the Sol obviously but I also like the way this top makes it look different. That will be more of a plus when there are Sols and Skys everywhere.

Personally, I like this design to a hardtop that mimics the convertable looks. If I were to spend $2,500 and take the trouble of installing (and removing) it I'd want it to be very noticable.

Good job guys.

GXP
Ordered 06/24/06, built 01/04/07, delivered 01/20/07.

DEEP, AC, ebony cloth, Monsoon, XM, headliner, power seat adjuster...

Mods: J-type Shorty antenna, Red Pontiac decal on wheel hubs...
post #26 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:01 PM

I may have missed something. Are they pre painted?

COOL MAGGIE. 2006 Polished wheels. Steel /Sand. #3458 Premium, Power, and Convenience. Monsoon.
Her Name is Maggie. Her personalized plates are MAGNIFY
post #27 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedup View Post
I may have missed something. Are they pre painted?
I just answered my own question.

COOL MAGGIE. 2006 Polished wheels. Steel /Sand. #3458 Premium, Power, and Convenience. Monsoon.
Her Name is Maggie. Her personalized plates are MAGNIFY
post #28 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:16 PM

Sorry, still can't get into this station wagon thang, but something that looked like the coupe prototype I could sink my teeth into (FASTback, not family wagon).

How can I be old if I never grew up?

Team Solstice [email protected]

2007 Solstice GXP - Yeller, Ebony Top, AC, NO spoiler, MSRP - ordered 06/09/15 - delivered 07/04/02 and it's pronounced zed, not zee! ;-)

Mods: Street edition headlights, Windrestrictor, Clearbra, Kitt brake light, chicklets removed, fake chrome turn signals
post #29 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterosaur View Post
I like the look of the "hardtop" on the Sky!

The Sky's top doesn't have that bubbly station wagon look.
post #30 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Hi folks!
Thanks for all of the responses. I will answer the questions as best I can.

Wizzard- I'll keep you guys in the loop on start of production. We are setting up our production facility to get going in January 07.

Tweety- We are working with a couple of suppliers to provide jumper harnesses for the XM and OnStar as options. We will also provide a ground plane (you electrical engineering guys will know about these) to bond to the underside of the roof and instructions for drilling the holes. The location of the holes can be up to the owner as we have had a number of people talk to us about mounting roof racks for bikes, surfboards, snow boards, skiis, etc.

SwissSol- Some people are purists, some are all about custom, some are in between. Tschuess, Ciao, Adieu- depending on what part of Switzerland you represent.

Curly- GO TIGERS!!! Our guys had the Solstice Safari theme (Pontiac Safari from the late 1950's) in mind during the design, hence the sport wagon look. This was originally created as a styling concept and show car. Our company does a few of these every year . We had some very positive feedback from the 2006 Detroit Auto show and the 2006 Geneva Auto show and decided to build a business case to see if we wanted to get into the aftermarket. EDAG is a global OEM based heavy engineering company and this is our first move (with the Sostice and Sky hardtops) into aftermarket in the US. If things go well, more interesting aftermarket items are to follow. Since we are a heavy engineering company, we will focus on items that are going to be something that not everyone else is doing. We want to build well engineered products for people that are looking for we engineered products.

NeHigh- Your description is one of the scenarios of what we had in mind when we were designing this hardtop. Someone who wants to use the car in the winter and not subject the soft top to the winter salt on the roads. The Kappa platform is well balanced and suitable for summer and winter driving (with the correct tires) thanks to GM Engineering- Steve Padilla is the guy that we all owe a beer.

firedup- We had many, many heated discussions concerning painted vs. primed. When we really started looking at all of the options and when we started painting our show cars we ran into many details that could really be left best to a professional painter. Here are a couple of examples. In the rear hatch opening, the area just inboard of the quarter glass should be gloss black. This gives a really seamless appearance of the glass wrapping around the car. Above this line, it makes sense to make the color the same as the roof outer. Think about looking down on the hatch opening from the roof outer and letting your eyes slide across the gap onto the hatch outer-- most people would like to see the same color as the roof outer. Now think about the color that you would want to see down at the deck lid level- matching the quarters and rear facias. You are good to go, if you want to paint it the same color as the roof outer. We have a Mysterious Sol with a Silver roof at our place right now. It looks really good with a Silver outer, gloss black in the hatch seal areas that match up with the quarter glass and Mysterious on the surfaces that lead into the quarters and rear facia. This is not something that we could easily (read cost effectively) do for each and every color. We want to be able to ship a roof very quickly after the order is place instead of making the customer wait 2-3 weeks for us to sequence a specific paint code.

Now, if you speak with some of the professional custom paint folks in your area, I'm sure that they can get incredibly creative...

Cheers,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode