Solstice Hardtop by EDAG - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 08:01 PM

Matt, you are wise to ship them primered and ready for topcoat. GM does the same with body parts such as the spolier and and lower plactic cladding on other cars. Only a few items are available painted and only in a few colors not all. As soon a syou would start painting you would never have the right one, or you would have to have 7 different ones ready all the time.

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlylew66 View Post
I don't like the bubble back window. I would love a hardtop but I don't want my car to look like a mini station wagon.
I want a hardtop that resembles the convertible top.
I have to agree with curlylew66 on the bubble back look. (Nice work though).

Hey Matt, when will a hardtop that resembles the convertible top be available?

Thanks

Deep/Ebony
The Wait is OVER.

I refuse to tip-toe cautiously through life, only to arrive safely at death!
post #33 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sol_Man
Not trying to dis a new vendor, but I wouldn't have it if you paid me $2500. Guess I'm a purist. With all the negative feedback earlier this year when it first appeared, I still can't believe this thing is in production.
After paint, shipping cost, labor, etc., this is an expensive mod that IMO destroys the look of the car as well as negates the use of one of the cars best features . . . the convertible top! I utilize mine over 300 days/year. We paid extra for this feature and we are all paying higher rates for the privilege of driving a convertible.
For just a little more green I could buy a turbo kit!
If I'd wanted a station wagon, I would have bought a 2006 MAZDA6s SPORT WAGON with a 3.0 L six cylinder engine for thousands less.
Going to take my now!
Good luck selling these, someone will buy them.
post #34 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 12:53 AM

etiquette towards vendors

Please refrain from throwing cold water on this vendor's product. From the looks of it a great deal of design and engineering was involved. They would not be bringing it to market if they didn't feel there was a market for it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but purchase of it is all voluntary.

Normally we just delete the negative posts in a thread like this but if I just zapped them nobody would know what I was talking about. The vendors pay to support the site and all the membership benefits from it. A product announcement thread is not the place to say something negative about the product(s).

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #35 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:52 AM

The top design does make it look like a wagon and a little like the Chevy Nomad concept from a few years ago. Anyway, welcome to the forum and great job on the top. Not my personal style but I'm sure there are plenty others who will be interested in the extra storage capacity that your top provides.

Can you make a sealed hard top similar to the Z0K Solstice?

So high, so low, so many things to know.

VIN 8694 delivered on February 3rd, 2006. Three years later and I'm still enjoying it just as much as the day I took delivery.

DDM Stage II and Spec 2+ clutch/flywheel installed :)
post #36 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Founding Member

I like it...

I've liked the "wagon" looks for many years and I like this new hardtop idea, but since my Solstice is a "fair weather" convertable car I will keep it as such and go with a great looking wagon like the Magnum for my wagon driving.
post #37 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achieftain View Post
Please refrain from throwing cold water on this vendor's product. From the looks of it a great deal of design and engineering was involved. They would not be bringing it to market if they didn't feel there was a market for it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but purchase of it is all voluntary.

Normally we just delete the negative posts in a thread like this but if I just zapped them nobody would know what I was talking about. The vendors pay to support the site and all the membership benefits from it. A product announcement thread is not the place to say something negative about the product(s).
Just to make sure (sometimes you have to spell it out), I was not trying to dis the vendor, I just don't like it, plain and simple (I know, I used the "ugly stick" thang in the old thread).

From what I can see it looks like it was well done and I am sure that many will be very happy with one. It appears to be a quality product with sincere vendor support.

BUT (hint hint) the prototype coupe style would be so cool.

How can I be old if I never grew up?

Team Solstice [email protected]

2007 Solstice GXP - Yeller, Ebony Top, AC, NO spoiler, MSRP - ordered 06/09/15 - delivered 07/04/02 and it's pronounced zed, not zee! ;-)

Mods: Street edition headlights, Windrestrictor, Clearbra, Kitt brake light, chicklets removed, fake chrome turn signals
post #38 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 02:09 PM

What happens if you have an accident and the glass on the top breaks? How hard is it to get replacement?

The sky top looks great! I cant wait to get one for my sky
Will you be showing the sky top at sema?

Thanks,
Marco

Last edited by HotRedRoadster; 10-28-2006 at 05:21 PM.
post #39 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to scottjl Send a message via Yahoo to scottjl
i like it..

reminds me of the jaguar/herse from the movie harold & maude. saw that movie as a kid and always wanted that car.

i like it, but i don't think i'll be buying one at $2500, but it's nice to see someone make a mod like this.

as for all the people trashing it, ok. you don't like it. don't buy one. no one is forcing you to. jeeze. no reason for you to trash it. just move along.

sly/black leather/+polished wheels/+everything/-smoker/-onstar/+50-genk60/+gmCAI/+mud

Last edited by scottjl; 10-28-2006 at 02:50 PM.
post #40 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Our guys had the Solstice Safari theme (Pontiac Safari from the late 1950's) in mind during the design, hence the sport wagon look. This was originally created as a styling concept and show car. Our company does a few of these every year . We had some very positive feedback from the 2006 Detroit Auto show and the 2006 Geneva Auto show and decided to build a business case to see if we wanted to get into the aftermarket. EDAG is a global OEM based heavy engineering company and this is our first move (with the Sostice and Sky hardtops) into aftermarket in the US. If things go well, more interesting aftermarket items are to follow. Since we are a heavy engineering company, we will focus on items that are going to be something that not everyone else is doing. We want to build well engineered products for people that are looking for we engineered products.
Definitely on my wish list. I have always liked the long roof motif, but this one throws together two concepts that I particularly love:
  1. The Pontiac Safari wagon
  2. The wrap around glass from the Saturn Curve concept and indeed from previous Pontiac wagons from the 60's on.
Well done! I do want one, and I'll be it looks very cool in black.

Thanks again. This looks just super! I echo the sentiment by scottjl, that as a kid, I used to sketch cars that looked just like this!

Founder & Member at Large,
West Coast Kappa Car Club
West Coast Kappa Car Club
post #41 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlylew66 View Post
I don't like the bubble back window. I would love a hardtop but I don't want my car to look like a mini station wagon.
I want a hardtop that resembles the convertible top.
For those who like your design: Congratulations and enjoy!

But, I personally agree with Curlylew66, if I had wanted a station wagon I would have bought one. The ONLY way I would buy a hardtop is if it looked like the ragtop, located like the ragtop and was removable like the rag!!
JMO

Ernie Guzman Pontiac in Houston are liars and profiteers!!

Power Train Mods Are Done!!! Dejon CAI, Dejon IC Pipes, EDAL, Magnaflow 3" cat-back
Misc. Mods: WindRestrictor 2, stubby, de-badged, engine cover painted, garage door opener, headlights smoked, egg yolks gone, Garmin Nuvi 660, custom trailer hitch, upolstering
To Do: Calipers painted, Back mud flaps, ECM tune? Boost Controller?
post #42 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMood View Post
I do like the top, I'm sure it will sell. Are there any interior pictures available?
Hey JM,
I'll try to take some interior pictures and set up a spot in the gallery soon. I'll post when I do.

Cheers!
Matt
post #43 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRedRoadster View Post
What happens if you have an accident and the glass on the top breaks? How hard is it to get replacement?

The sky top looks great! I cant wait to get one for my sky
Will you be showing the sky top at sema?

Thanks,
Marco
HR Roadster,
We will be stocking replacement parts at our facility and will make them easy to order. We will be showing pictures of the Sky top at the show. There is another show coming in the near future that we intend to have our first prototype ready for. I'll post more info about that soon.

Cheers,
Matt
post #44 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGene View Post
The top design does make it look like a wagon and a little like the Chevy Nomad concept from a few years ago. Anyway, welcome to the forum and great job on the top. Not my personal style but I'm sure there are plenty others who will be interested in the extra storage capacity that your top provides.

Can you make a sealed hard top similar to the Z0K Solstice?
JGene,
I believe that the Z0K roof attaches to the butress latches in the factory deck lid. From our point of view, this brings up two concerns. First, in case of a flat tire, getting to the jack or inflator requires removing the top. Second, the storage area would not be accessible with the top on. GM put one of the child saftey pull handles in that compartment for a reason. We have been sketching some ideas- so we shall wait and see what happens!

Thanks for the question.

Cheers,
Matt
post #45 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
JGene,
I believe that the Z0K roof attaches to the butress latches in the factory deck lid. From our point of view, this brings up two concerns. First, in case of a flat tire, getting to the jack or inflator requires removing the top. Second, the storage area would not be accessible with the top on. GM put one of the child saftey pull handles in that compartment for a reason. We have been sketching some ideas- so we shall wait and see what happens!

Thanks for the question.

Cheers,
Matt
Matt,

I really want to thank you and your company for supporting the Solstice! While your product does not meet my needs at present, it is a very nice design and seems to be extremely well executed.

Should you, in future, develop a more "conventional" hardtop (i.e. one more closely mirroring the ragtop), you would certainly have my (increased) interest!

Regardless, thanks again for your support of our car and our forum!

--Chemist

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode