Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Best Waxing Product?

9K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  The_Ghost 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Now that summer has arrived and everyone is out washing and waxing, what have you found is the best wax product on the market for our Sol's? Have to keep this Aggressive lookin hot!

#2 ·
I can NU_FINISH the entire car in less than an hour - I do it about once a month - sometimes apply Gold Finish wax over the top. I use the Turtle wax clear for spot detailing.

Ron

#4 ·
This has been discussed at length many many many times check the detail forum. There is no right answer by the way. But you can't go wrong with Gary's products. Perfect Auto Finish

#9 ·
Everything has already been discussed at length many, many times. If this forum lived on new subjects alone there would be very little posted. It is like reruns on TV--if you have not seen the show before, it is not a rerun!

Gary will tell you to forget the wax because it melts at a little over 100 degrees and that is why he says to go with his sealer which lasts much longer than wax, and does not melt unless the temps are off the chart.

#6 ·
I agree with lil goat....you can't go wrong with Gary's products. When I put Gary's products to my car, it looks better than the day I picked it up from the dealer (except for the 41K's worth of stone chips and side body wear :willy: )

#12 ·
try optimum polish and spray carnauba. Apply by hand or PC machine over enire car, then remove with the spray wax and a good MF towel. It's quicker, easier, and gives a better shine than the perfect auto finish stuff. If you really want it to stay hot, on top of that, apply some PS21 or Pinnacle Souverain Carnauba. It's also quick and easy, just be sure to use VERY little product.

#14 ·
....UNQUESTIONABLY the best polish/wax

...is the one you will actually use. I have a garage full of products, including Zaino, Meguilar's, Simonize, Mother's, Mr. Clean, Turtlewax. Which is best? Right now Turtlewax Ice, because it is easy so I actually use it.

If you LIKE polishing your car, Zaino is great, since you will spend alot of time doing it. Me, I like to see it after it's done. And sometimes I have it hand washed and waxed for $25 at a drug half-way house. They do a great job so far (although personnel are always changing). I asked what they used and was told just regular carnuba wax. The nice thing about ICE is it claims it will eat into and level your last wax/polish, so you don't have to strip it off. Sounds good (i.e. easy) to me. Oh yeah, and you can use it in the sun (although you can't use their carwash in the sun...found that out the hard way).
:cool:

#15 ·
...is the one you will actually use. I have a garage full of products, including Zaino, Meguilar's, Simonize, Mother's, Mr. Clean, Turtlewax. Which is best? Right now Turtlewax Ice, because it is easy so I actually use it.

If you LIKE polishing your car, Zaino is great, since you will spend alot of time doing it. Me, I like to see it after it's done. And sometimes I have it hand washed and waxed for $25 at a drug half-way house. They do a great job so far (although personnel are always changing). I asked what they used and was told just regular carnuba wax. The nice thing about ICE is it claims it will eat into and level your last wax/polish, so you don't have to strip it off. Sounds good (i.e. easy) to me. Oh yeah, and you can use it in the sun (although you can't use their carwash in the sun...found that out the hard way).
:cool:
Ditto here, I use the Turtle Wax ICE system, claybar, and ICE Gel, spot clean with the detailer ICE spray and it looks good, lasts.

#20 ·
I bought the lastest "Miracle wax" at a race on Saturady, I haven't tried it yet it's called Frenzy. I have tons of stuff and use only one parameter to judge. They will all make your car look good, but will thay stop WATER SPOTS! So far a good sealant, and a weekly coat of Perfect Auto Finish Poly Seal Spray is working for me. But I will continue to keep looking for easier better. So far I like the Poly Seal spray better than anything else for a touch up shine. Takes maybe 10 minutes to do the whole car.

#21 · (Edited)
i use turtle wax ice also...easy to use...and lasts very well...i moved here to miami back in january, and my last waxing was in november i believe...car gets hand washed once a week...and it still beads water very well...and still shines great...so i guess i am happy with the durability

#22 ·
I just tried the turtle wax ice Clay Bar....It removed all the swirl marks and I am very surprised how well it worked ...it only took a few min.....seal9

#23 ·
just to clarify, the clay bar didn't 'take away' your swirls. Technically, clay bar can't do that. It can only remove surface abrasions. Something else you applied may have filled them, but unfortunately they'll probably be more visible again after some rain or a wash or two. :-(

#24 ·
I have been using Griot's car care products for over 7 years now.
I used their products on a Black truck that I showed for many years and now use on the wifes Solstice. I am like alot of people on here that I have tried just about everything on the market and this suits me.

#26 ·
The best thing about turtle wax ice is, you can get it on the plastic black trim and it wont turn white.Its quick and it works :thumbs:

#27 ·
I have not tried Turtle Wax Ice, I have some questions. Does it stop bird poop from etching your paint? After a rain if the car dries naturally does it have water spots? These are what I look for in a wax/sealent. To me it's not just about pretty I want to protect the paint. I believe Carnuba Wax will absolutely give the best shine, never seen anything work better, but I don't use it because I don't garage my car and don't believe it offers the best protection.

#29 ·
I used ice on my whole car, the next day it rained, and it was covered in water spots.

I gave it back to my girlfriend who uses it on her T/a.

I'm using Eagle one's nano wax "for now."

#28 ·
I use Ice and Adams Polishes. Not a bug print after getting back from Nashville and spray washing it and using these two products. :)

#30 ·
unless a wax completely sheds water drops.....meaning they roll off all surfaces....you will always have a water spot..IMHO...either from contaminates in the rain..(acid rain) or dust and other contaminates in the air that get trapped in the standing water on the car....as they evaporate......

#31 · (Edited)
I thought that was true with my Mysterious Sol I used to get really bad water spots and would have to take them off with a buffer and a lot of work. I have not found that to be the case with my Mean Sol. When I first got the car I applied Liquid Glass paint sealant 2 coats to the whole car. Since then I have only used Gary's Poly Seal spray, I use it afetr every wash and often after a rain. I have very few spots after a rain the car looks clean, if I wasn't driving during the rain it looks like it was just washed. I use the Poly Seal and just wipe down the whole car no spots and the shine is back. I am not trying to blow Gary's horn, I don't use his paint sealant but man I love the Poly Seal. I know he repackages what someone else makes I sure wish I knew what it is now that he has gone fishing. I have seen products that will out shine Liquid Glass but nothing that protects as well. The Poly Seal adds the shine the Liquid Glass is missing.

I tried the stuff I got at the track last weekend called Frenzy, I just did the hood to see what happens. The shine is excellent, lets see how it does in the water spot test, it is marketed by Geoff Bodine (sp) some NASCAR driver.

#33 ·
Let me make an update on water spots, when I had my NA (mysterious) the water spots would actually etch the clear coat and were a real nightmare to get off. With the products I use lately I still get a few water spots but they wipe right off easily with the Poly Seal. It rained here on the way home and the Frenzy did quite well. I got home and no spots. I am sure some of these products we are comparing are the same stuff being repackaged. It takes a pretty big plant to make this stuff. Not like you could make it up at home and sell it. Gary is not the first guy to repackage stuff made by a bigger company. I know that Meguires has a whole line of stuff the consumer can't buy "professional use only"

#34 ·
depending on the color of your car will determine weather you want to use wax or polish.
on dark colors you're looking for depth,like looking into a mirror. on light colors you want gloss.
dark colors look better up close,light colors at a distance. you just don't find a white or silver car you can comb your hair in.
a light color you want to wax. the more the better. a dark color just polish,this will inctrease the depth and give you a mirror-like finish
as far as wax durability,the diffeerence between the best wax and the worst wax can be measured in days. paint sealants may last a little longer.

#38 ·
I have never used ICE, I have been dissapointed by every product I have ever used by any of the major wax companies except 3M. I asked for an opinion earlier in this thread someone said they had water spots with ICE, not me. I don't get water spots with rain water at all with thiis new stuff I am trying, bought it at a Drift race a couple of weeks ago. I read the pamphlet and it said it prevents water spots. I actually haven't had any tap water dry on it yet (only been on the car a week). I will say it is different, it is the first company I have ever seen that is a paint sealent with Carnuba. They say after 2 weeks the Carnuba will wash/melt away and the sealent will be left and water will sheet off. This is yet to be seen. I will say the Carnuba leaves an awesome shine, like nothing else I have tried. My other Sol was black, it was a nightmare. I used to run out after it rained and wipe it dry just to avoid water spots. I was using Gary's paint sealent without the Poly Seal. I am so far very impressed with the new stuff. You can put it on sun or shade with the surface temp up to 120! I did try this and it went on and came off really easy. At this point I like it a lot, and it is not like anything else I have used. It was originaly made for boats, they called it Waxing Frenzy. Then Geoff Bodine endorseded it for cars and they shortened the name. I sometimes believe the big companies have to make products less than they could be so that the price will be acceptable to the public. I paid $22 for a quart of the stuff I just bought. I am not sure Turtle wax could get $22 at the Auto Zone. I will keep trying new stuff until and I will share my results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.