Best Waxing Product? - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO View Post
unless a wax completely sheds water drops.....meaning they roll off all surfaces....you will always have a water spot..IMHO...either from contaminates in the rain..(acid rain) or dust and other contaminates in the air that get trapped in the standing water on the car....as they evaporate......
I thought that was true with my Mysterious Sol I used to get really bad water spots and would have to take them off with a buffer and a lot of work. I have not found that to be the case with my Mean Sol. When I first got the car I applied Liquid Glass paint sealant 2 coats to the whole car. Since then I have only used Gary's Poly Seal spray, I use it afetr every wash and often after a rain. I have very few spots after a rain the car looks clean, if I wasn't driving during the rain it looks like it was just washed. I use the Poly Seal and just wipe down the whole car no spots and the shine is back. I am not trying to blow Gary's horn, I don't use his paint sealant but man I love the Poly Seal. I know he repackages what someone else makes I sure wish I knew what it is now that he has gone fishing. I have seen products that will out shine Liquid Glass but nothing that protects as well. The Poly Seal adds the shine the Liquid Glass is missing.

I tried the stuff I got at the track last weekend called Frenzy, I just did the hood to see what happens. The shine is excellent, lets see how it does in the water spot test, it is marketed by Geoff Bodine (sp) some NASCAR driver.

Solo Mach and No Cat custom A/R cone
Dejon Intercooler, Intake Elbow, BOV spring
Wester's Garage tune
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub

Last edited by lil goat; 06-26-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolScuba View Post
I saw this on UptownMaries car and it was awesome.

Can you fill me in as to where you got it from?

Thanks, I have used Gary's products, and they are great, but this Buffalo Milke is sooo easy and no white marks..... I cannot attest to water spots since I try to avoid the rain(in MI lately, this IS an easy task ) I have noo swirls at all.....

Available online at buffalomilke.com

11/08/06 Sly GXP is here!!!!!! I am Sol-Happy!
11/21/05 Aggressive SOL arrives....(11/09/06 sold)

NASSOA
Founding Member #28
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 05:30 AM

Let me make an update on water spots, when I had my NA (mysterious) the water spots would actually etch the clear coat and were a real nightmare to get off. With the products I use lately I still get a few water spots but they wipe right off easily with the Poly Seal. It rained here on the way home and the Frenzy did quite well. I got home and no spots. I am sure some of these products we are comparing are the same stuff being repackaged. It takes a pretty big plant to make this stuff. Not like you could make it up at home and sell it. Gary is not the first guy to repackage stuff made by a bigger company. I know that Meguires has a whole line of stuff the consumer can't buy "professional use only"

Wester's Garage tune
RMR Style Bar.
HKS Coilovers
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to phil kranz
depending on the color of your car will determine weather you want to use wax or polish.
on dark colors you're looking for depth,like looking into a mirror. on light colors you want gloss.
dark colors look better up close,light colors at a distance. you just don't find a white or silver car you can comb your hair in.
a light color you want to wax. the more the better. a dark color just polish,this will inctrease the depth and give you a mirror-like finish
as far as wax durability,the diffeerence between the best wax and the worst wax can be measured in days. paint sealants may last a little longer.
easyryderca likes this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 08:16 PM

Location: Long Island, NY... a sister island to the Hawaiian chain. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSol View Post
...is the one you will actually use. I have a garage full of products, including Zaino, Meguilar's, Simonize, Mother's, Mr. Clean, Turtlewax. Which is best? Right now Turtlewax Ice, because it is easy so I actually use it.

The nice thing about ICE is it claims it will eat into and level your last wax/polish, so you don't have to strip it off. Sounds good (i.e. easy) to me. Oh yeah, and you can use it in the sun (although you can't use their carwash in the sun...found that out the hard way).

I love ICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO View Post
unless a wax completely sheds water drops.....meaning they roll off all surfaces....you will always have a water spot..IMHO...either from contaminates in the rain..(acid rain) or dust and other contaminates in the air that get trapped in the standing water on the car....as they evaporate......

Exactly right. If even one single water droplet stays on the car, you WILL have a water spot. Water spots are a result of impurities in the rain which stay behind after the water has evaporated. To claim that there is a substance which somehow repels this residue off the car is ridiculous. Unless it sheds every last drop, there will be water spots.

There's no avoiding it. The issue is, will the "wax" stop the water spot from becoming a permanent "feature" of your car? Almost any treatment will do that.

ICE is great for exactly the reason RichSol pointed out... it's extremely easy to use, so you won't find yourself avoiding the job.

Disclaimers:
1) This in no way constitutes an admission of modification of any vehicle in my posession. This and other posts submitted on this forum simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group and are to be considered fictitious.
2) This is not professional advice. This is casual conversation.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maika'i GXP View Post

I love ICE!

Exactly right. If even one single water droplet stays on the car, you WILL have a water spot. Water spots are a result of impurities in the rain which stay behind after the water has evaporated. To claim that there is a substance which somehow repels this residue off the car is ridiculous. Unless it sheds every last drop, there will be water spots.

There's no avoiding it. The issue is, will the "wax" stop the water spot from becoming a permanent "feature" of your car? Almost any treatment will do that.

ICE is great for exactly the reason RichSol pointed out... it's extremely easy to use, so you won't find yourself avoiding the job.

I don't get water spots, and yes it's because of the wax/sealant. There are several products on the market that prevent water spots it would appear ICE is not one of them. It rained her most of the day on and off on Friday, my car was parked outside. I took it to a car show Saturday night, I didn't wash or wax it it still looked great. Yes the rain water has impurities yes they will be left on the car yes there are products that will not let them penatrate the finish. The impurities just dry and blow away. I have spent hundreds of dollars trying everything on the market to find something to prevent water spots, I didn't start this when I bought the Solstice been fighting the damn spots for years. I started when I had a lime green metal flake ski boat. Liquid Glass will stop water spots and damage from acid rain, it won't rapair damage. I have used Liquid Glass for years but never have liked the shine much. Gary's sealant water spots like crazy, but his pro seal does not. I still do get water spots from tap water if I let it dry but they wipe off and don't etch the paint.

Wester's Garage tune
RMR Style Bar.
HKS Coilovers
JL Audio 10" sub
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 PM

Location: Long Island, NY... a sister island to the Hawaiian chain. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil goat View Post
I still do get water spots from tap water if I let it dry but they wipe off and don't etch the paint.
Yeah. Like I said, if you let the spot dry, it will make a water spot.

My car is DEEP. The only color worse for waters spots would be black.

I think you're saying water spots don't wipe off when you use ICE. I use ICE and if I get a water spot on my car, it wipes right off with a damp micro fiber towel, but I only do that for minor spots.

I drove by a sprinker that sprayed hard water on my car recently. The surface was so hot, the water dried quickly and left quite a few significant spots. I didn't dare wipe them without detail spray... ICE detail spray. Came right off.

Clearly we're not having the same experience with the product.

Disclaimers:
1) This in no way constitutes an admission of modification of any vehicle in my posession. This and other posts submitted on this forum simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group and are to be considered fictitious.
2) This is not professional advice. This is casual conversation.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 PM

I have never used ICE, I have been dissapointed by every product I have ever used by any of the major wax companies except 3M. I asked for an opinion earlier in this thread someone said they had water spots with ICE, not me. I don't get water spots with rain water at all with thiis new stuff I am trying, bought it at a Drift race a couple of weeks ago. I read the pamphlet and it said it prevents water spots. I actually haven't had any tap water dry on it yet (only been on the car a week). I will say it is different, it is the first company I have ever seen that is a paint sealent with Carnuba. They say after 2 weeks the Carnuba will wash/melt away and the sealent will be left and water will sheet off. This is yet to be seen. I will say the Carnuba leaves an awesome shine, like nothing else I have tried. My other Sol was black, it was a nightmare. I used to run out after it rained and wipe it dry just to avoid water spots. I was using Gary's paint sealent without the Poly Seal. I am so far very impressed with the new stuff. You can put it on sun or shade with the surface temp up to 120! I did try this and it went on and came off really easy. At this point I like it a lot, and it is not like anything else I have used. It was originaly made for boats, they called it Waxing Frenzy. Then Geoff Bodine endorseded it for cars and they shortened the name. I sometimes believe the big companies have to make products less than they could be so that the price will be acceptable to the public. I paid $22 for a quart of the stuff I just bought. I am not sure Turtle wax could get $22 at the Auto Zone. I will keep trying new stuff until and I will share my results.

Wester's Garage tune
RMR Style Bar.
HKS Coilovers
JL Audio 10" sub
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:41 PM

Garage
Smooth surface = great results

i.e. Clay Bar :-)
Just completely clay-bared Selene (my '07 Solstice GXP, Sly) and holy crud what a difference. Used the Meguiars clay bar followed by the Mequiars cleaner wax and then the detailer spray. Looked phenomenal for the car show/cruise I went on with my local car group - photos to follow - and the paint surface is smooth as butter.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:38 AM

Meguiiar's is makes the best products out there for waxing. On your daily driver, I would highly recommend ceramic coating!! I did my Charger last year when I bought it and it's so easy to take care if it. Just hose it off, no scrubbing or drying required. My only pet peeve is that it's not quite as shiny.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode