Brake Fluid Boiling Out - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake Fluid Boiling Out

Hello all! I'm having some brake issues and am looking for some advise.

I'm having trouble keeping brake fluid in the reservoir at track day events. Last Sunday I was at my 8th track day at Homestead raceway and went through close to a quart and a half of Motul 600. I was using Hawk HPS brake pads in the past and would have to top off my brake fluid a few times a day witch wasn't a big deal but this past event I switched my pads to the Hawk HP Plus front and back they worked great until I really started braking harder towards the middle of the day and I guess the reservoir lost so much fluid that I was getting air in the brake lines. At least I'm assuming that is the issue since I don't see brake fluid leaking from anywhere except the reservoir cap and I checked the fluid after I drove 3 hours home and didn't lose a drop.

I ordered some Motul 660 and I'm thinking about changing out my brake fluid reservoir and cap, since I had over tightened the plastic cap a couple times to the point where it clicked lose. If that doesn't work I can go back to the HPS pads although I really like the HP Plus pads.

I have read through the threads about members trying to get hold of a "performance" brake fluid reservoir without any luck and was just hoping someone might have some other options for me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I have read through the threads about members trying to get hold of a "performance" brake fluid reservoir without any luck and was just hoping someone might have some other options for me.

Thanks
A source WAS found recently: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ilable-157705/

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 PM

The "performance" reservoir is available. Quite a few of us got them.

Look in this post: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ml#post2178577

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys! I guess I didn't quite catch all of that thread.

I just sent Matt an email.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM

It may just be where the cap has been over-tightened the cap threads have stripped out or the seal on the inside of the cap isn't doing its job. I run HP+ pads for track days (love them), ss braided lines and motul 600, I've never had to top off the brake fluid during a two day weekend at NCM MSP.

The "performance" reservoir is an easy enough mod to try to see if that fixes your problem though. I'm pretty sure you will need to do a tech2 abs brake bleed once installed.

Good luck, keep enjoying a kappa on track!

'07 GXP factory no a/c, z0k springs and rsb, koni yellows
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 AM

Is this a simple swap out from existing? Still available? I noticed on the link to the manufacturer it had RHD at the end of description - is this Right Hand Drive? Will this also install on a Redline? Critter
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter0251 View Post
Is this a simple swap out from existing? Still available? I noticed on the link to the manufacturer it had RHD at the end of description - is this Right Hand Drive? Will this also install on a Redline? Critter
You can ignore the RHD in the description as it is the part number that was specified by GM Performance Parts very early in the development of the Solstice, and, yes it will also install in a Sky Redline.

Yes, it's a simple swap out.

Does that answer everything?

1st 1K - #741
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpioneer View Post
It may just be where the cap has been over-tightened the cap threads have stripped out or the seal on the inside of the cap isn't doing its job. I run HP+ pads for track days (love them), ss braided lines and motul 600, I've never had to top off the brake fluid during a two day weekend at NCM MSP.

I'm thinking that their is a good chance that something is stripped with the cap or on the reservoir. Looking forward to getting on the track and seeing how the new reservoir works out!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Last question I promise. How much more fluid does this reservoir hold compared to stock? 25%? 50%? Same? Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Last question I promise. How much more fluid does this reservoir hold compared to stock? 25%? 50%? Same? Thanks
good question, and I don't have a specific answer, BUT if you were to put the same amount of fluid that the normal reservoir takes the larger capacity of the performance m/c will give you more free space to allow for the expansion of the fluid before running over

Bill
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 PM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Flush the brake lines. Your brake fluid may have picked up water and that will reduce the boiling temperature.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Don't know the specs, but judge for yourself:

All from: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...9/#post2133057

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 07-20-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Ford vs the king | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode