Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Brake Fluid Boiling Out

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  TomatoSoup 
#1 ·
Hello all! I'm having some brake issues and am looking for some advise.

I'm having trouble keeping brake fluid in the reservoir at track day events. Last Sunday I was at my 8th track day at Homestead raceway and went through close to a quart and a half of Motul 600. I was using Hawk HPS brake pads in the past and would have to top off my brake fluid a few times a day witch wasn't a big deal but this past event I switched my pads to the Hawk HP Plus front and back they worked great until I really started braking harder towards the middle of the day and I guess the reservoir lost so much fluid that I was getting air in the brake lines. At least I'm assuming that is the issue since I don't see brake fluid leaking from anywhere except the reservoir cap and I checked the fluid after I drove 3 hours home and didn't lose a drop.

I ordered some Motul 660 and I'm thinking about changing out my brake fluid reservoir and cap, since I had over tightened the plastic cap a couple times to the point where it clicked lose. If that doesn't work I can go back to the HPS pads although I really like the HP Plus pads.

I have read through the threads about members trying to get hold of a "performance" brake fluid reservoir without any luck and was just hoping someone might have some other options for me.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
It may just be where the cap has been over-tightened the cap threads have stripped out or the seal on the inside of the cap isn't doing its job. I run HP+ pads for track days (love them), ss braided lines and motul 600, I've never had to top off the brake fluid during a two day weekend at NCM MSP.

The "performance" reservoir is an easy enough mod to try to see if that fixes your problem though. I'm pretty sure you will need to do a tech2 abs brake bleed once installed.

Good luck, keep enjoying a kappa on track!

#8 ·
It may just be where the cap has been over-tightened the cap threads have stripped out or the seal on the inside of the cap isn't doing its job. I run HP+ pads for track days (love them), ss braided lines and motul 600, I've never had to top off the brake fluid during a two day weekend at NCM MSP.

I'm thinking that their is a good chance that something is stripped with the cap or on the reservoir. Looking forward to getting on the track and seeing how the new reservoir works out!

#7 ·
You can ignore the RHD in the description as it is the part number that was specified by GM Performance Parts very early in the development of the Solstice, and, yes it will also install in a Sky Redline.

Yes, it's a simple swap out.

Does that answer everything?

:thumbs:

#10 ·
good question, and I don't have a specific answer, BUT if you were to put the same amount of fluid that the normal reservoir takes the larger capacity of the performance m/c will give you more free space to allow for the expansion of the fluid before running over

Bill

#11 ·
Flush the brake lines. Your brake fluid may have picked up water and that will reduce the boiling temperature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.