1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveOC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Computers and Racing

https://racer.com/2018/12/04/f1-to-u...ormat-changes/

Extending this out a bit, will we even need to have the race in the first place?

Let me think about this a bit . . .

raygun likes this.

1st 1K - #741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Aren't they already doing this with simulated racing games (Grand Turismo, Xbox Forza Horizon 4, etc)?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Aren't they already doing this with simulated racing games (Grand Turismo, Xbox Forza Horizon 4, etc)?
Orders of Magnitude differential exists, I would think.

1st 1K - #741
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Very cool stuff.

I predict we'll get new tracks in the shape of cauliflower. ML models tend to generate some really funky stuff.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
What programmers are accomplishing with simulated racing is pretty amazing. They laser scan the actual tracks so every dip, bump, turn is faithfully reproduced and can be felt through the steering wheel feedback system. And seat actuators if you can afford them.

They program telemetry from hundreds of actual cars into the software so the car on the screen attempts to mimic the driving traits of the real vehicle realistically. Each vehicle from a McLaren M8 to a Fiat 500 handles differently. There is a Solstice GXP on Forza 7 that handles very similar to my GXP. It's not totally realistic but around 85% accurate to a real GXP.

After driving some of the older cars on SIM Racing, I can not believe how hard some of the old cars are to drive. The front engined race cars from the 50's (Formula 1 and Indy cars) were a handfull and the prewar race cars are like driving a truck. I have a lot higher respect for the drivers of that era, driving those large, cumbersome race cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode