1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveOC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Computers and Racing

https://racer.com/2018/12/04/f1-to-u...ormat-changes/

Extending this out a bit, will we even need to have the race in the first place?

Let me think about this a bit . . .

raygun likes this.

1st 1K - #741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Aren't they already doing this with simulated racing games (Grand Turismo, Xbox Forza Horizon 4, etc)?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Aren't they already doing this with simulated racing games (Grand Turismo, Xbox Forza Horizon 4, etc)?
Orders of Magnitude differential exists, I would think.

1st 1K - #741
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Very cool stuff.

I predict we'll get new tracks in the shape of cauliflower. ML models tend to generate some really funky stuff.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
What programmers are accomplishing with simulated racing is pretty amazing. They laser scan the actual tracks so every dip, bump, turn is faithfully reproduced and can be felt through the steering wheel feedback system. And seat actuators if you can afford them.

They program telemetry from hundreds of actual cars into the software so the car on the screen attempts to mimic the driving traits of the real vehicle realistically. Each vehicle from a McLaren M8 to a Fiat 500 handles differently. There is a Solstice GXP on Forza 7 that handles very similar to my GXP. It's not totally realistic but around 85% accurate to a real GXP.

After driving some of the older cars on SIM Racing, I can not believe how hard some of the old cars are to drive. The front engined race cars from the 50's (Formula 1 and Indy cars) were a handfull and the prewar race cars are like driving a truck. I have a lot higher respect for the drivers of that era, driving those large, cumbersome race cars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:12 PM

Need to have the race? I don't even understand. Without even touching on the human factors of courage and calculated risk, the cars themselves must be robust enough to endure the race.

RE: games, simulation and games are similar in concept, but quite worlds apart in practice. Even an old sim like Grand Prix Legends, 21 years old, would be an eye opener compared to many games today. Scrambling out of Eau Rouge at the limit of tire adhesion or sailing above the track at Flugplatz in a sim can be a thing that fills you with a sense of real accomplishment, and while the apprehension of say, the Masta Kink when behind a monitor and not a real steering wheel gives only a hint of the real danger, it can be quite enough to make your mouth dry when you've put 12 laps in at the head of the pack and you're slightly off the line: one miscue and you're out. No re-spawn, no plus-ups, one mistake and your race is over.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
There is a Solstice GXP on Forza 7 that handles very similar to my GXP.
For "real" sim racing check out titles like Assetto Corsa, rFactor2, Project Cars 2 and iRacing. The 2 most realistic are rf2 and iracing. There is a comparison of F1 vs. SimF1 and they are almost identical. iracing has an NA Solstice, but it's only about 80% accurate. It accelerates like a GXP and is a bit more "grippy" then in real life. I have been an avid simracer since 1992 with my first "sim" gave of Indianapolis 500. I have a simrig complete with 3 monitors, VR, and ff wheel as well as a "button box" for all of the in-car settings that can be changed and working 6 speed gear shift (or padels..depending on the realism factor). IRacing when releasing new tracks, takes several months. As stated above, they laser scan every little crack, dip and turn. rfactor2 you can "create" your own vehicle with it's own tire model. I haven't tried this yet as you have to be a rocket scientist to do this!! Just the tire model alone would take several weeks to complete to make it as real as possible.

F1 has been doing this for 2? years already....I'm surprised this was just published.

Simracing is no different then any pilot that uses a simulator for training purposes. It's all "learned" and then duplicated.

EDIT: This was F1 2017 vs. a real F1 car. They have even come a bit further since this one...

(If I get a chance this weekend, I'll record and post a few races using my VR)

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 04-25-2019 at 07:21 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 PM

Garage
I have Assetto Corsa and enjoy the feel but the realistic visuals on Forza 7 is more enjoyable.

I use both depending on the time available. Assetto Corsa takes time to start it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode