Riken Raptor A/S? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Riken Raptor A/S?

Back when the Solstice was still in production, there was lots and lots of talk about tires. Even though I am new to Solstice ownership, I know this, because I've been trying to read it all! Sadly (well, sad for newbies, anyway; you old-timers are probably sick to death with talking tires!) most of the chatter about tires has died down in recent years.

One of the tires favored by you guys and gals back in the good ol' days was the Riken Raptor UHP summer, which is no longer available.

There is, however, an an all-season UHP Raptor, which gets pretty good reviews from both testers and consumers. The one thing they seem to agree on is the tires get noisy after a while.

I'd love to order a set, because they are apparently a well-reviewed, good-quality tire that is also cheap. However, SWMBO hates road noise, so I was wondering if anyone in Solstice land is riding on these tires and can comment on the noise issue?

I'm wondering too, if road noise when top down (the only way we drive) is as intrusive as it is in a closed car.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
When I bought my Solstice last June it came with Raptor ZR UHP summers on it. The summers were virtually brand new.

Last Fall I swapped them out for Raptor A/S and now have the summers in storage.

Personally I like the performance of the Riken UHP summer tires. They perform well in dry and the rain. Did well on track too with a few laps at Barber Motorsports Park.

The A/S are a bit stiffer and not quite as "sticky."

I really like the aggressive tread pattern on the Riken Raptors. They channel water well, but with these cars I believe you have to use caution in rain no matter what tire you choose.

Road noise with these tires has not been an issue at all. Neither the summers, nor the A/S.

To be honest, with either the windows down - or the top down - wind noise is the biggest issue.

I've learned that at 55+mph to roll the windows up when I have the top down.

Obviously I like these tires. I have two sets.

Hope this helps.

Just An Ordinary Average Guy

With A Super Cool Car!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:03 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Road noise? What's that?

I run constant contact on both cars and love them. Sticky and nice riding at all speeds

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 AM

The Raptor UHP Summer is now the "ZR" tire Bama talks about.

I have known two people to run them and both enjoyed them, particularly for the price, but did say they are a bit noisy as anything with that tread pattern will be. One suffered a catastrophic sidewall failure on one tire after only ~8,000 miles.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bama! Any issues with hydroplaning? (Not that we plan to use the car in the wet, but, rain happens!)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Garage
Robert, I haven't hydroplaned. Like I said in my original post, I feel with these cars one must be cautious in the rain. That's not to say I haven't played with it in the rain when doing so was relatively safe. A few fish tails here and there can certainly be fun.

But wide tires, no weight in the rear end, and rear wheel drive can all spell disaster. Add speed into the equation and it's katie bar the door.

I've seen video of a spectacular crash of a Solstice in the rain on Youtube because of heavy rain, a bridge, and too much speed.

When Phil is talking catastrophic blow outs, generally speaking that's a roll of the dice for most any tire. I'm not so sure the fault he speaks of is a manufacturing defect of the Riken Raptors or something more systemic in summer tires.

Rikens are made by Michelin which, to me, adds to their value and reliability. Summer tires are just that, strictly for warm temperatures. Manufactures say not to roll, inflate, deflate, or do anything to or with summer tires below 40F or it can damage the structure of the tire leading to catastrophic failure.

That's the main reason I went with All Seasons before the weather got cold and put the summer tires in storage.

I use my Solstice as a daily driver. It has gotten a bit dirty over the winter, but I spent those months behind the wheel.

Now Spring's here, it's time to make her shine, drop the top and cruise.

With A Super Cool Car!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
......... Manufactures say not to roll, inflate, deflate, or do anything to or with summer tires below 40F or it can damage the structure of the tire leading to catastrophic failure........
Has this information changed recently? I have always understood that summer-only tires drastically lose traction starting below 40F, but that damage doesn't really occur until it gets below 20F. GM actually issued a bulletin in 2014 stating that for certain of its models fitted with summer-only OEM tires, a tire inspection should be done to check for cold-induced damage.

It also brings up a good point for anyone looking to buy a car that has summer-only tires that could have experienced temperatures below 20F, since even rolling the car on them could cause permanent damage to the tread.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
From TireRack:

The Raptor ZR is RIKEN's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sporty coupes and sport sedans looking to combine responsive steering and performance-focused handling in an attractive package. However, like all Ultra High Performance Summer tires, the Raptor ZR is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Raptor ZR molds a summer tread compound into an aggressive, directional tread design focused on providing traction in dry and wet conditions. The arrow-shaped pattern utilizes wide lateral grooves for efficient water evacuation and improved hydroplaning resistance. The tire sidewalls feature a rigid compound to help improve handling and steering response, while a built-in rim protector helps prevent damage to wheels.

Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

With A Super Cool Car!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
From TireRack:........ Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower ..........
Yeah, that's consistent with what I've seen before. Impaired performance below 40F, damage below 20F.

John
Lexington, KY
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again all for your input! I am encouraged to give the Rikens a try.

FWIW, I'd offer to report on my experience on how they affect the car's performance, but any comparisons I could make would be moot, as the current tires (put on by a previous owner) are over 8 years old!

They are Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid (discontinued now, but they were classed as an all-season, HP tire in their day) with essentially no wear on the tread.

It feels a terrible waste to discard such tires (imagine if we had to replace the air bags every few years!); but even though the sidewalls look good, there are hairline cracks on the bottoms of the tread blocks--which I gather is an indication of aging damage.

So I suspect even a PROC-made, bargain-basement tire might be an upgrade!

Anyway, thanks again!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:10 AM

SWMBO / PROC ? I've said this before and I'll say it again people use these "terms " in today's world have we now become so lazy that we now cannot speak or write properly ? Not everyone on this forum is hip to this new terminology let alone trying to figure out what is posted . I always try to help and offer opinions but when I try to read stuff like this it stops me dead in my tracks I have no idea what the original poster is talking about . Just the opinion of one old guy
easyryderca likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
SWMBO = she who must be obeyed
PROC = game parlance for special procedure

Google is your best friend, but I'll agree with you.

I, too, get tired of having to translate because others choose to use abbreviations where they, most likely, won't be understood by us older people.

1st 1K - #741

Last edited by DaveOC; 03-23-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Swmbo = she who must be obeyed
Proc = game parlance for special procedure

Google is your best friend, but I'll agree with you.

I, too, get tired of having to translate because others choose to use abbreviations where they, most likely, won't be understood by us older people.

I am more inclined to think that in this instance PROC is the alphabetism of Peoples' Republic Of China

John
Lexington, KY
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:10 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I am more inclined to think that in this instance PROC is the alphabetism of Peoples' Republic Of China
Yes, that would make more sense, in context!

1st 1K - #741
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
SWMBO / PROC ? I've said this before and I'll say it again people use these "terms " in today's world have we now become so lazy that we now cannot speak or write properly ? Not everyone on this forum is hip to this new terminology let alone trying to figure out what is posted . I always try to help and offer opinions but when I try to read stuff like this it stops me dead in my tracks I have no idea what the original poster is talking about . Just the opinion of one old guy
Oh, dear, do forgive me, Sting Ya. I'm sorry for using such trendy acronyms and offending your sense of prose style.

In fact, as a former English teacher, I would never have let my students write like that, either.

But, somehow, automotive-forum prose style seems to be--not only different from past styles of written discourse--but also seems to be self-replicating. I am a member of probably a dozen margue or model-specific car and motorcycle forums, and I am probably not the only correspondent who tends to write the kind of stuff he reads.

To be specific, I learned the acronyms "SWMBO" and "PROC" (the latter of which does indeed stand for People's Republic Of China and which, like SWMBO, is indeed and acronym and not an initialism because it is pronounced as a word, even though it doesn't look like one) from reading other people's messages on a classic Triumph motorcycle board.

Surely, then I can be spared the contempt and disgust (yes, I'm being hyperbolic) of my kindred Sols (cute pun, what?) if I assumed that all gear-heads (that's a term for auto hobby enthusiasts, in case you were wondering...and yes, I'm being ironic, again) would understand these expressions as well as they would understand, say, "jugs" for motorcycle cylinder barrels, or "pucks" for disc brake pads.

Let's face it, this current form of verbal exchange is barely more than a couple of decades old, and has added a new and complex twist to the task of writing to one's audience. Who are my readers here? I have no clue. I am communicating instantly and simultaneously with umpteen-hundred-and-three individuals, of whom all I really know for sure is that they share with me an affinity for a particular model of automobile, as well as a desire to talk and/or (is that trope OK to use here?) write about them (the automobiles, not the tropes)--anyone of whom (the corespondents, not the automobiles) for all I know, will take umbrage at--not only my opinions--but even at my writing style, which (as i have tried to point out) isn't even always really mine.

So, quiz question: what American novelist (first half of the 20th century) am I imitating here--because, in fact, I am reading one of his books right now; and just like I can't help posting messages that read like posted messages I have I read, I can't help mimicking the style of the author I am currently reading in the bathroom as I sit on the crapper (that's a flush toilet, BTW (which is, by the way, an initialism for "By The Way") and is supposedly so-named because its inventor's name was Crapper, and not because crap is a colloquialism for the feces that go into the flush toilet) when I am not posting forum messages in forum style, but rather trying to express myself in my own words, which are not really mine, because no one's words are truly his or her own, but are only imitations of what he or she has learned/read.

Hint: One of his novels--indeed, the very one I am reading right now--was made into a movie in 1969 starring Steve McQueen (famous car and bike guy) and is, appropriately, about (at least in part) automobiles!

Now, Sting Ya, aren't you sorry you scoffed at me?

Oops! Is it OK to use an emoji? I mean, I don't own a smart phone and I can't text. But I sure as f****** h*** know what SWMBO and PROC mean!

Yeah! And also, I bet I'm older than you, and probably more culturally (though probably not politically) conservative than you, too. So there.

And about those asterisks in "f****** h***?" They stand for letters I don't want to write because I would be using inappropriate language--language that that is NSFW.

Go look it up.

Last edited by robertllr; 03-23-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode