Riken Raptor tires, long term usage report? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM

I'm on my second set of 255 ZRs. Swapped them out 31K, would have made 35, but our K'ville Run isn't the place for worn tires. SummitRacing has them for $90(245) and $120(255). Got them mounted and balanced at my local speed shop. I even put them on my '79 Vette.

Tire cops in 5, 4, 3,...

It's sticky!!!

Last edited by stuck; 03-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Garage
I'm at about 16k miles on mine, they're doing pretty well so far. They're "ok" is the best I can put it. Little less lateral grip than the GS-2 tire, they're a lot easier to get to slide in a hard turn. They do well for daily driver tires, if you want performance though you're going to have to pony up the $$$ or get a 2nd set.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 PM

So far no issues here. They seem to br griping pretty well. I haven't ran into any wet weather yet which of course is my main concern.

It's hard to compare them with the stock GXP tires because they were very bald for the past 6k miles. one tire measured 2/32 or lower. Eeek. So of course these feel very good compared to what I had before.

I did notice about a mile per gallon drop though, don't know what that is all about.

I'll update again after wet weather driving which, to me, is the most important thing with this car.

2008 Mysterious GXP (MoMo)
My cardomain page
VIN 100541 - Drove it home 7/13/07. As of today; 3/8/13, 76,000 Miles
Daily driver.
I'm at WalMart riding the ponies, bring quarters!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:54 PM

It seems like most of the reviews, except for stuck's comments yesterday, say . . . "Well, they seem OK, I guess." Or, "No major issues, so far." Kind of back-handed complements, like "You don't sweat much for a fat girl."

Based on what I've read here, I think I will be looking for something better, like the Bridgestone Portenza RE-01Rs, or something comparable. I am lucky that where I live, I can use a summer tire year round, and need not worry about rain or snow.

Carpe Diem
'Mysti' - '08 Mysterious 5-spd GXP, Custom HP tune, Hahn I/C, K&N filter, DDM ProBeam & Backbone, splash guards, Z0K Sway bars, poly bushings & BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback..

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-03-2009 at 01:57 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beecee View Post
So far no issues here. They seem to br griping pretty well. I haven't ran into any wet weather yet which of course is my main concern.

It's hard to compare them with the stock GXP tires because they were very bald for the past 6k miles. one tire measured 2/32 or lower. Eeek. So of course these feel very good compared to what I had before.

I did notice about a mile per gallon drop though, don't know what that is all about.

I'll update again after wet weather driving which, to me, is the most important thing with this car.
The GS-2 tires are actually very good rolling resistance so moving to another tire (especially a cheap tire) is going to greatly increase the rolling resistance and decrease fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
It seems like most of the reviews, except for stuck's comments yesterday, say . . . "Well, they seem OK, I guess." Or, "No major issues, so far." Kind of back-handed complements, like "You don't sweat much for a fat girl."

Based on what I've read here, I think I will be looking for something better, like the Bridgestone Portenza RE-01Rs, or something comparable. I am lucky that where I live, I can use a summer tire year round, and need not worry about rain or snow.

They're super cheap tires and we all own sports cars. We did the no-no and put sub-par tires on an above par-car. So we're of course not going to want to admit how they're not as awesome as the GS-D3s.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
The GS-2 tires are actually very good rolling resistance so moving to another tire (especially a cheap tire) is going to greatly increase the rolling resistance and decrease fuel economy.
That makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
They're super cheap tires and we all own sports cars. We did the no-no and put sub-par tires on an above par-car. So we're of course not going to want to admit how they're not as awesome as the GS-D3s.
Mmhmm!

My cardomain page
Daily driver.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM

So I've got mixed feelings about these tires. I do find my traction control coming on even more than when my originals were bald. Cement is SCARY to take off on.
Still hasn't rained so I haven't been able to drive in rain yet.
Just keeping ya updated.

My cardomain page
Daily driver.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Garage
Other than commenting that someone at Riken saw Jurassic Park far too many times (every tire is a Raptor?), they do make decent tires at a fair price. They aren't at the top of the heap in terms of wet performance (or any other kind) but they are decent and half the price of the best in class.

And so far better than the stock tires that came on these cars that it is ridiculous. I drove an NA and had I bought one, I would have had the tires replaced in the first week. The tires that came on the GXP were better - decent enough that I kept them for awhile before switching to better rubber, but the cars deserved more than what they were fitted with.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
These tires (ZR Summer) came on my Solstice when I bought it. I liked them so much I bought a set of All Seasons to run in winter. My budget has been tied up on other things and I've yet to put the Summers back on. I'd really like a second set of wheels to mount the Summers on (TR9 | Hypersilver | Touren), but again... the budget.

I especially like the tread design of these tires. I think they look awesome!

BTW, the ZR Summer tires are no longer available - which is a real bummer. The All Seasons are almost as good as the Summers... almost.

Just An Ordinary Average Guy

With A Super Cool Car!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
....... I'd really like a second set of wheels to mount the Summers on (TR9 | Hypersilver | Touren), but again... the budget.......
You know, a set of stock wheels is not that expensive, and will pay for itself in the cost to break down and remount tires twice a year.

It also makes getting new tires a lot easier. Take the wheels to the shop, get new tires, bring them home. I have a spare set that is now shared between the two cars.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:15 PM

Garage
John, you think like I do!

Just An Ordinary Average Guy

With A Super Cool Car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/riken-raptor-tires-long-term-usage-report-53708/
Posted By For Type Date
Everything about riken raptor tires - Yahoo! Glue This thread Refback 02-05-2009 06:43 PM
Everything about riken tires - Yahoo! Glue This thread Refback 02-02-2009 12:12 PM