TPMS reset not activating. - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By phil1734

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
TPMS reset not activating.

Hey everyone,
I hope all you Dads out there had a wonderful Father's Day. Before I get started I did see the most recent post about the TPMS not working after an accident. Unfortunately I don't believe that I was able to get a solution from it for the issue I'm having. I had recently purchased and put on new tires and rims. The new rims came with a new TPMS already installed. I tried to reset the TPMS sensor but the key fob procedure did not work, and the pressing info set / reset is also not working. I also tried to decrease and increase the tire pressure to see if it would reprogram or relearn.

I feel like I may be doing something wrong. I have watched videos and read many topics where people say pressing and holding the lock and unlock button for approximately five seconds will start the reset. I did that and nothing happened. Also in the cars manual there is a second method where you press the 3 individual buttons info set and reset together at the same time and that would activate the reset. Unfortunately that did not work as well. The reason I think I am doing something wrong is it's hard to see that those three methods did not work at all. Not even a little bit. Am I overlooking something?

If anyone knows a solution or understands where I am messing up and could give me advice I would be extremely grateful. Also any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM
Founding Member

I could be wrong but base on your input you need to go to a dealer to have them activated using a Tech II.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Looking for the obvious: If yours is an '06 or '07, it does not have tire pressure monitoring...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Could it be a bad batch of batteries? What about the frequency? I just posted a thread on here a few days ago about info for new sensors as i have ordered new rims. Phil1734 answered my thread & mentioned there is a relearning tool on Amazon for it.

Last edited by easyryderca; 06-17-2019 at 10:13 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 AM

A few things to try and help out:

Another maybe not so obvious one - the key needs to be in the "on" position with the engine off.

You will know you are in re-learn mode because the turn signal at the corner the car is looking for will illuminate. The DIC will probably also display a message. If you don't have that going on, don't even bother trying to go any further. It won't work.

There is also a TSB out there for some cars that the TPMS system had bad software, and the ability to detect sensors by changing pressure was not enabled at the factory. The only way to fix that is have the dealer re-flash it.

If you have a cheap generic sensor, they sometimes need to be "activated" by a much more expensive tool then the one I mentioned. Basically they have to be programmed to your frequency and car. I would think any tire shop should be able to do this.

If you do think you have one of the bad TPMS systems and don't want to pay the dealer to fix it, I believe the tool I mentioned elsewhere will still work, assuming your sensors are active and you have managed to enter re-learn mode. Or again, any decent tire shop should be able to do it.
rob the elder and easyryderca like this.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have had good luck with this tool

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
I could be wrong but base on your input you need to go to a dealer to have them activated using a Tech II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP08jrf View Post
Looking for the obvious: If yours is an '06 or '07, it does not have tire pressure monitoring...
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
Could it be a bad batch of batteries? What about the frequency? I just posted a thread on here a few days ago about info for new sensors as i have ordered new rims. Phil1734 answered my thread & mentioned there is a relearning tool on Amazon for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
A few things to try and help out:

Another maybe not so obvious one - the key needs to be in the "on" position with the engine off.

You will know you are in re-learn mode because the turn signal at the corner the car is looking for will illuminate. The DIC will probably also display a message. If you don't have that going on, don't even bother trying to go any further. It won't work.

There is also a TSB out there for some cars that the TPMS system had bad software, and the ability to detect sensors by changing pressure was not enabled at the factory. The only way to fix that is have the dealer re-flash it.

If you have a cheap generic sensor, they sometimes need to be "activated" by a much more expensive tool then the one I mentioned. Basically they have to be programmed to your frequency and car. I would think any tire shop should be able to do this.

If you do think you have one of the bad TPMS systems and don't want to pay the dealer to fix it, I believe the tool I mentioned elsewhere will still work, assuming your sensors are active and you have managed to enter re-learn mode. Or again, any decent tire shop should be able to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
I have had good luck with this tool

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey everyone thank you very very much for the responses. The main issue I am having is getting the car into relearning mode. I have tried what the manual had said using the fob pressing unlock and lock at the same time while the car is in the on position and e-brake up. I have also tried the second method which is holding down the info set and reset buttons those also did not work. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with these issues and if so how they worked around it. I have a TPMS relearn tool but the car needs to be in relearning mode. Just an FYI it is a 2009 Solstice base model thanks again everyone!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:37 AM

All I can say is make sure you are doing it correctly (feeble response, I know). This was just posted on the Sky forum, maybe try this again... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebreath View Post
All done and fixed the TPMS readout. I'm sure a lot of you know how to reset the tire sensors after rotation but for those that don't, let me impress you with my new knowledge. Insert key into ignition. Light up the dashboard and access the TPMS readout on the DIS. It doesn't matter whether it displays front or rear tire pressure as long as you are there. Take your fob press lock and unlock at the same time and hold until the horn chirps twice. Pick a tire and let a few pounds out. I held mine open maybe 3 or 4 seconds then wait about 5 to 10 seconds. The horn will chirp once. That wheel is done. Repeat that 3 more times and good to go. Your welcome!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode