Attention: For no heat/over heat issues - Page 12 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 168 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
I was of the understanding that the waterpump is driven by the timing chain. If that broke you must have had bigger issues!
No, fortunately, there is a separate chain for the pump...

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 168 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:40 PM

I have a 2008 Solstice GXP. I have a BAD over heating problem in the summer about 5 minutes into a drive when the temp inches up to 260 degrees momentarily, and then drops to norm) . It only does it from a cold start first thing in the morning IF I don't keep it under ~50MPH for the first few miles. Doesn't do this after being parked all day. Early spring or late fall the temp might go up to 220 degrees vs 260. Seems like a sticking thermostat but dealer wants $400+ to replace it on the turbo'd GXP (hard to get to it??).
I am the second owner and haven't removed the cap as mentioned. Does this sound like an air lock, a thermostat, or electrical problem?
post #168 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfomark View Post
I have a 2008 Solstice GXP. I have a BAD over heating problem in the summer about 5 minutes into a drive when the temp inches up to 260 degrees momentarily, and then drops to norm) . It only does it from a cold start first thing in the morning IF I don't keep it under ~50MPH for the first few miles. Doesn't do this after being parked all day. Early spring or late fall the temp might go up to 220 degrees vs 260. Seems like a sticking thermostat but dealer wants $400+ to replace it on the turbo'd GXP (hard to get to it??).
I am the second owner and haven't removed the cap as mentioned. Does this sound like an air lock, a thermostat, or electrical problem?
Could be air. My '07GXP started to overheat (or say it was) some years back. I burped the upper hose a bunch of times and it hasn't happened since. I don't remember the exact procedure but I used a vise grip with a leather glove between the jaws as padding, and adjusted it so it just closed off the small hose from the overflow tank. It involved squeezing and releasing the large upper hose and clamping/unclamping the overflow tube. The car's covered in winter storage for now or I'd take a peek to refresh my memory but there's probably a thread somewhere if you search. I marked the coolant level on the overflow before & after burping and it had dropped almost ½". I topped it off and like you, I am just paranoid enough to keep checking it on the display, but it never goes much past 195° in normal driving or around 210° in stop and go traffic in the Summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode