Attention: For no heat/over heat issues - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Eyeno reports the final piece of this puzzle will be out the end of next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeno 11/25
The cooling system on the 2.0L Solstice/Sky is completely different than anything you may of seen in the past. Drilling a hole, of any size, in the thermostat will not correct the no heat Ė over heat condition. When your DIC is reading 245 deg, turn on your heater blower. If cold air is coming out of the heater, the problem is the result of air in the cooling system that will not purge. In every case Iíve reviewed the cooling system was opened on a warm/hot engine when the engine was turned off. When you open the coolant recovery system on a hot engine, you can hear the air being sucked into the system.

This condition can be corrected by installing two check valves in the cooling system. The information and part number for the valves will be available to your GM dealer sometime towards the end of December.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM

I saw that... So how do I drive my car until then? This new info seems crazy to me.

V-8 B8
post #18 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebsmith
I saw that... So how do I drive my car until then? This new info seems crazy to me.
Unitl something changes, one goes with the current information and procedures.

Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #19 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM

that's great mom, I wonder if I actually needed a thermostat, when they replaced mine they obviously purged the system and that might have been all it really needed

well done

Last edited by perris; 11-25-2009 at 02:08 PM.
post #20 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
Eyeno reports the final piece of this puzzle will be out the end of next month.
sd, my radiator was never opened and I had the problem, I guess it could have been opened at the dealer but I doubt it, I believe I had the experience even before my very first service

anyway, I think I had hot air when I turned the heater on but I never did let it get to 145 degrees, the funny thing about our car, when you turn the heater on the engine temperature actually goes up not down, I suppose this might be becuase coolant scavenged to go to the heater coil?

don't know, purely speculation, maybe you do know and that would be good info if you could post it

Last edited by perris; 11-26-2009 at 07:12 AM.
post #21 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
Unitl something changes, one goes with the current information and procedures.
I have an appointment that I will keep for tuesday. Start a paper trail. But, I don't want to pay for this flush and then pay for the check valve procedure a month later.

V-8 B8
post #22 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
But, I don't want to pay for this flush and then pay for the check valve procedure a month later.
If that is the case, do not have the check valves installed when they become available.

post #23 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM

true, but if the check valves are a permanent fix, maybe i should just wait for them

V-8 B8
post #24 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM

There is a guy on the Sky forum that bought a brand new Sky recently, and 6 miles from the dealership the overheat light came on. He checked the temp, and it was very very high. Stopped, turned car off. Let it cool. Got it back to dealer, and nobody can get it to recur. Sounds like this air problem. So, either it had this problem from the factory, OR during make ready, someone in the shop opened the overflow can and let air in the system.

I just had one of my cars inspected, and the people checked all my fluids. If I had been there with my Sky, they would have opened the overflow can to check my coolant level, and I would have been screwed. My point is, this is going to be a problem going forward, even for people who do not have it today. At SOME point, someone is going to pop that overflow reservoir lid and let air in your system.

2006 Deep Solstice NA...Traded in for:
2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red Limited Edition
5 speed manual/rear spoiler added/6 disc/Monsoon
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/Chromies/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And UAW 435 workers
2007 Xterra 4x4/1996 Viper GTS/1995 Z28 6 speed in the driveway now
post #25 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:55 AM

That is so true. Sounds like the vac n fill is more like a Temp fix and the check valves are permanent.

V-8 B8
post #26 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Jeb,

My issue was taken care of by the dealer under warranty. I gave them a copy of the TSB when I went in to install the Stage II and the problem is now gone. If they give you any flack about doing it under warranty, just let them know that the alternative of potentially serious engine damage from overheating would be under warranty...their choice.
post #27 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
That is so true. Sounds like the vac n fill is more like a Temp fix and the check valves are permanent.
Both procedures will take car of a car that has had the cooling system improperly opened.

It is just expected that the installation of check valves, which will most likely recommend the vac n fill during the procedure, will reduce/eliminate the chance that another inproper opening will allow air into the system.

post #28 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdub
I gave them a copy of the TSB when I went in to install the Stage II and the problem is now gone.

If they give you any flack about doing it under warranty, just let them know that the alternative of potentially serious engine damage from overheating would be under warranty...their choice.
There has been no TSB issued to cover this topic. As posted, one is expected near the end of December.

Also, the warranty excludes damaged cause by "Improper Maintenace". So the threat may not work.

post #29 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdub
...when I went in to install the Stage II......
One site member reported that when they installed the kit themselves, upon removing the original sensor, a rush of coolant came out of the previously removed lower hose.

So it is possible that the kit install could be a source or air introduction into the engine.

So it should be watched until it can be confirmed either way.

post #30 of 168 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Does this apply to the 2.4 engine also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode